• You cannot reply to this topic

Good support

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-January-07, 19:51

Poor suit denies two of the top three or three of the top 5 honors, maximum means 7ish-9 HCP.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-07, 20:03

Form of scoring ? 3 may already be too many (Qx, A10xxxx, xxx, Qx) or 4 (or even 6) may be cold (Qxx, A10xxxx, QJxx, void unless you open 1 on that). I'd suggest that at pairs I'd pass, at teams, NV I'd probably pass too. If I was going to bid 4 I'd probably have done it last time as how many time have you heard it go 3-X- and opps bid the making 4/5 or 4 or double you for 300 in 4 against a partscore where it would have gone 4-P-P-P if you'd bid it immediately.

Edit, this was posted when the spades were AKJ, they seem to have been ninjad to AKQ, now 4 is much more obvious.

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-January-07, 20:37

I'll stop in 4, thank you very much.

I used to be too optimistic and go down a lot at the 5 or 6 level. I guess I've matured...

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-07, 20:47

View PostHanoi5, on 2014-January-07, 20:37, said:

I'll stop in 4, thank you very much.

I used to be too optimistic and go down a lot at the 5 or 6 level. I guess I've matured...

Posted Image

I don't think he was asking whether we go slam or not, but rather we stay in partscore or bid game. Disregard if it was sarcasm. (hard to tell in BBF which is which, looking at some replies of Hog Posted Image)

Anyway, i would have bid 4 previous round. Now that i learned pd does not have 2 of top 3 honors, i bid 4 and i am aware we may still go down. I would have passed vs a "good trumps" response and try to make 3. We should be OK in 4 most of the time as long as pd does not have exactly 2 clubs, even then we may be cold for it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-07, 21:06

4 a long time ago.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-07, 21:35

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-January-07, 19:51, said:

Poor suit denies two of the top three or three of the top 5 honors, maximum means 7ish-9 HCP.
IMO 4 = 10, Pass = 7. 4 instead of 2N might be better.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-07, 21:54

with a range of 3-9 I agree with the 2n asking bid. You found out what you needed

to know and you could not possibly care less if p has good hearts or not it is time

to step up (no matter the form of scoring and bid

4h.

Anything other than 4h is either too optimistic or too pessimistic. In fact pretty much

any bid except 4h will earn a score of 2 or worse depending on how out of whack the

bid is while a mild 4h will earn a nice 10. You had the right tools available for this hand

and all you have to do is use it properly.:)))))))))

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-January-08, 00:51

Well, there's at most 1 loser in the trump suit with 11 between the two hands. So, in toto, you have a 5 loser hand. Partner should have about an 8 loser hand. So it looks like you've probably got about 13 total losers -- so it looks like a maximum of about 11 winners between the 2 hands.

However, unless you're partner has downgraded on a hand with more than the agreed point count, partner can't hold 2 aces and presumably the Q. Since you hold only 1 ace, it looks like the opponents probably hold 2 cashable tricks. The only way that might not happen is if partner holds an undisclosed void somewhere. There's probably no reasonable way to find that potential slam making exception though.

So just bid 4 .

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-January-08, 01:59

Why bid 2NT? Just bid 4H immediately instead of futzing about.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 02:18

4h wtp. Partner probably has hA and a useful minor suit card. And maybe dA is onside. Or they lead a spade
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   uhhlv 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-08, 04:15

I d bid 4 hearts at the first round. Maybe we can make 4 hearts maybe the opps can make game, maybe both.

Now I heard the most positiv answer from partner (with my 5 card support poor suit is better than good suit).

It is very, very difficult to imagine a hand without good game chances. Even with Jx,Qxxxxx,Qxx,QJ, opps must play clubs before you play spades.

If partner has the ace of hearts, you have 9,5 tricks. Most of the time, partner should be able, to make more than 0,5 tricks with is remaining 3-5 points.

So I think 12 or even 13 tricks are much more likely than only 9. My stomach would say: Most of the time, I´ll make 10 or 11 tricks, sometimes 12 or even 13 and sometimes only 9 tricks. Most of the time when I make only 9 tricks, 4 hearts is a good contract, but no impass/expass/... works.
Most of the time partner has a second suit and/or a void when we can make 12 or 13 tricks. But I cannot see how you can find out this. 3S should ask for a cue which isn t very helpful.

So from my point of view 4 is the only possible bid. Everything else doesn t make sense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users