• This topic is locked

Stayman?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:42

Matchpoints 12-14 NT

is it sensible to bid stayman here, or is the risk of say a 3334 or even 3325 just too great?

i.e. is it worth the gamble?

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:45

It is not unreasonable to Stayman here, but I would pass 1NT. If partner has a 4 card major, you probably want to be in 2 of a major.

Even if partner bids 2 with x-y-4-z, you probably don't want to be in 2.

#3 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:54

Can you bid 2 after partner's 2, showing a weak hand with both majors, or would that mean something else?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:59

yes that would in theory show 5 hearts and 4 spades for us. (and weak)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 13:02

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-06, 11:59, said:

Providing you have the agreement that with 3 spades and 2 hearts you always remove 2 to 2 in this auction, it's a viable action.

#6 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-06, 20:03

Pass.

Maybe they will balance and then you can double for takeout, maybe partner doesn't have a 4 card major, maybe 1NT will score better even though you have an 8 card fit.

#7 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 20:25

Stayman is best used for 2 types of hands: (1) game invitational or better hands with major suit interest (2) hopeless hands which will pass partner's rebid. This hand falls between those ranges and is better passed. Change the A to a small spade and I would risk Stayman in spite of the poor diamonds.

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 20:39

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-06, 11:59, said:

what you mean is that 2 hearts shows both majors with hearts at least as long as spades.

to accomodate 44 or indeed 55, partner just corrects to his better major. this means that when you're 45 and partner is 32 you play the 4-3 rather than the 5-2 but that's not a problem (43 fits are often difficult for less experienced players, but no point shying away from them if you want to improve).

as for the merits of doing this, at pairs it's a very good idea - even if you're making 1nt, 2M will normally score better and 2M will often make when 1NT is off.

at imps, if you have enough points to expect to make 1NT, but not enough to invite, so about 7/8 - 10, it's a bad gamble, because you have to make a trick more to go positive and you'll only be modestly increasing your score when it succeeds. if you have a weak hand, yes, it's a good bet, because you will often move from a contract going down to one making. especially against weaker opponents you also make it a lot more difficult for them to double you - even weak players with enough points know to double 1NT, but a weak player will be lost over stayman with a good hand. they often do something silly like bidding 2NT.

#9 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-07, 09:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-January-06, 11:54, said:

Can you bid 2 after partner's 2, showing a weak hand with both majors, or would that mean something else?

1NT - 2C
2D - 2H! = Garbage ( Trash ) Stayman showing a weak [ (4/4)+ or 5s/4h ] ; Opener passes or corrects to 2S with equal length or longer .

With a weak 4s/5h, Responder just transfers to 2H and then passes.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#10 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-January-07, 10:12

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-January-07, 09:45, said:

1NT - 2C
2D - 2H! = Garbage ( Trash ) Stayman showing a weak [ (4/4)+ or 5s/4h ] ; Opener passes or corrects to 2S with equal length or longer .

With a weak 4s/5h, Responder just transfers to 2H and then passes.

He-he I was actually asking for Eagles' agreements, not yours :)

But as Wank notes, if you have the agreement that 2 shows 5+ 4+ you can easily extend to cover 4-4 as well.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-January-07, 10:25

If the field plays Acol weak no trump like you, then pass and trust that you will do at least as well as the field. OTOH if the field plays 15-17 5 card majors, then the risk of missing the 4-4 major fit and getting a poor MP score is greater than the risk of playing in a 4-3 fit; so then you must Stayman (as indicated in the other posts).
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2014-January-07, 12:22

I always GS with this hand.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-07, 17:42

many thanks folks, very helpful.

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-January-08, 04:10

My personal rule for using Exit Stayman with hands like this is 3+ majors and 4+ diamonds. So this would not qualify. Of course, if you also have 2 followed by 2 available as Crawling Stayman then this changes things. There are a few different ways of playing this CS sequence but allowing 4-4 majors seems like a good idea regardless of which major Opener gives preference to with equal length. The main advantage of preferring hearts is that you can then also use it for hands with 4 hearts and a longer minor. Preferring spades seems to be more popular on BBF though. Perhaps that reflects the majority choice of a strong NT more than the relative merits within a weak NT system - the other method allows Responder to bid on after Opener's spade preference, something that seems more useful within a strong NT context.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 13:07

I could have 2-2 in the majors and open 1N. Perhaps a bit unlucky to catch such a hand but maybe it adds to the case for passing.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-08, 16:20

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-January-08, 13:07, said:

I could have 2-2 in the majors and open 1N. Perhaps a bit unlucky to catch such a hand but maybe it adds to the case for passing.

Perhaps more unlucky that your system permits this shape.

As for Zel's post above, I think that bidding Stayman and planning to pass (sorry, I am not familiar with his terminology) with 4+ diamonds and 3+ majors is pretty weird. Playing this you deserve partner to be holding 3=3=2=5, which is a normal shape.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-08, 17:07

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-08, 16:20, said:

Perhaps more unlucky that your system permits this shape.

As for Zel's post above, I think that bidding Stayman and planning to pass (sorry, I am not familiar with his terminology) with 4+ diamonds and 3+ majors is pretty weird. Playing this you deserve partner to be holding 3=3=2=5, which is a normal shape.

Yes, but particularly at pairs (or NV at teams), on frequency grounds you accept the odd 3325 stupidity for the times you find a better place which happens much more often.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 20:21

This is N/B forum, i strongly suggest anyone who thinks they belong to this level to not worry about garbage stayman, exit stayman fire stayman earthquake stayman tornado stayman etc etc....and just pass and try to make as much as tricks you can. Considering your level, the number of important things waiting in front of you to learn is way too much that you should not be wasting your time with this imho.

Fwiw, spot cards are game changer especially in 1 NT contracts. You have 6 hcp and decent spots, i would not worry playing 1 NT even vs a weak NT with this hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-09, 03:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-08, 17:07, said:

Yes, but particularly at pairs (or NV at teams), on frequency grounds you accept the odd 3325 stupidity for the times you find a better place which happens much more often.

What about the numerous times when your 2-level contract plays worse than 1N, even if only by 10 points? That's a disaster at pairs if you're the only pair in the room in it.

#20 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-January-09, 04:34

View PostStevenG, on 2014-January-09, 03:44, said:

What about the numerous times when your 2-level contract plays worse than 1N, even if only by 10 points? That's a disaster at pairs if you're the only pair in the room in it.

But aren't we talking about weak hands with which 1NT is in danger? You probably won't make more than +90, then, unless you find a major suit fit. If the choice is between 1NT and 2, be happy with any plus score.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users