• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Stayman?

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-13, 12:53

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-13, 11:05, said:

even modern American Standard "2/1 is 10+ and promises a rebid unless opener bids 2NT"

To be honest, I think that this is harder than 2/1 GF, because it seems to me that you'd have to go through a whole bunch of example auctions to determine which ones are GF and which are not. But I don't play either method so I might be overstating the case.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-13, 13:03

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-13, 12:53, said:

To be honest, I think that this is harder than 2/1 GF, because it seems to me that you'd have to go through a whole bunch of example auctions to determine which ones are GF and which are not. But I don't play either method so I might be overstating the case.

I think you're right; I learned SA early on, and I never did quite get a handle on which sequences should be GF, or even whether people generally agreed on what was and wasn't. 2/1 simplified things considerably in that respect.

That said, I suspect SA is still easier for a novice to pick up in the early stages. The complicated "Is this GF or not" stuff comes late enough in the learning process that we can steer people into 2/1 before they get there. I think.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#43 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 14:26

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-13, 11:05, said:

A novice learning modern Standard American also has baggage. Remember:

It's a cardinal sin to open 1 on AKQT - you have to open 1 on 642 instead. However, it's also a cardinal sin to do anything but 1 in response to 1 on 8642, even with great clubs.

You pretty much have to learn transfers over that strong NT.

I've gone and taken 800s off strong NT more than once - probably more often than I've given 800s playing a weak NT (okay, yes, I do have good runout systems and know how to bail before I'm doubled, too).

When can I raise a minor - what do I need to raise a minor - how do I make a forcing raise in a minor -...all much harder when playing convenient minors (and that, too, when partner has a flat minimum) than when playing 4-card majors, and minors will be shapely or sound.

Bring 2/1 into the mix - even modern American Standard "2/1 is 10+ and promises a rebid unless opener bids 2NT" - and there's a whole number of unnatural bids that have to be made to make that work. Acol? You can and should respond 2 to 1M with AJTxxx and another card - which is what novices will want to do; bid their longest suit.

All this is true IF you feel the necessity of involving beginners to a specific system. We have to make a brief speech about what a "system" in bridge means and that there are so many of them. And i will add to tell them that none of those systems are invented for the purpose of teaching. They are designed and built to optimize your bidding accuracy more or less. The more you try to be accurate, the more it becomes complicated.

It is not duty of bridge teacher to teach a system, when the targeted group is beginners, He has to deal with a lot of things, which are more important and which will come up frequently regardless of which systems they play. For example, i have observed how many B/N players do not know the difference between simple preference and support. How many of them have not even been told anything about it. Being taught this little thing makes a huge difference. One stays at 2 level, other one goes up to sky thinking that pd is supporting him. This is also one way to go down doubled for -800 or -1100. And it happens much more than the -1100 you avoided by GS. Yes, another teacher, who believes GS is a must with weak NT, can teach SP too, and i agree, however as i said before things like GS and things like simple preference are too many. I strongly believe, for this targeted level (B/N) one should make their investment on things like; simple preference, a firm understanding of the forcing and non forcing concept, knowing their goal in bidding and in play and in defense etc etc ..

Most B/N players think "forcing" means strong and "non forcing" means weak. You have to make sure they know that forcing means "pd i can not tell my hand in 1 single bid, please hang in there for me, don't leave me, i will get back to you" and non forcing means "here is my hand, now you have the ball, do what you want, i will pass my next turn unless you want me to be more specific about my hand" This is much better than teaching which bid is forcing or non forcing in X or Y or Z system.

Bottom line is, when teaching beginners, the system should not be the dominant factor. We should not feel the obligation of teaching something just because X system says so. To start teaching a system, is a very bad idea at the first place imho, when the level of the targeted group is not familiar with a lot of things about bridge. Stayman is a tool to find 4-4 M fits after 1 NT opening, since 1 NT disables any other 1 level bid. It is used in SA, 2/1, Acol, SEF, pecision etc etc. as oppose to things you are talking about which are against your cardinal rules and which are specific to X or Y or Z systems. People found out that stayman can be used for more purposes than why it was created at the first place, and have been improved, tweaked, modified but this group need none of these yet imo.

Bidding logic is the bone structure of the body, and systems are your muscles. If your bone structure is weak, it would not help you much, regardless of how much you pump up those muscles in the gym. I believe at this point of their bridge education, we should make sure they have a good bone structure.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#44 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-13, 14:45

LOL almost everyone who has expressed an opinion has disagreed with you, but if you say the same thing over and over eventually we will all agree that you are right.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#45 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2014-January-13, 14:51

Good idea, let's take a thread in the novice/beginner forum that already digressed massively from a question about "should I stayman" into a discussion about bidding systems and pedagogy, and let's turn it into a flame war. Awesome.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#46 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 18:07

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-13, 14:45, said:

LOL almost everyone who has expressed an opinion has disagreed with you, but if you say the same thing over and over eventually we will all agree that you are right.

Sweetheart, you are the last person to ever complain about repeating the things. Posted Image

http://www.bridgebas...-sort-of-thing/

http://www.bridgebas...892#entry626892

http://www.bridgebas...015#entry603015

http://www.bridgebas...720#entry580720

In one of them, you have repeated yourself so many times that you recieved this reply from another member

You've now done so on at least three occasions...

I'm not sure why this is.

Perhaps you get some kind of sexual thrill out being abused
Maybe having anyone pay any kind of attention to you is what passes for a social life or external validation
Most likely you're just another pathetic troll who wandered onto our forums hoping to pick a fight

Regardless, given the number of times that you've now posted this statement, you can hardly object to the language
And, given your behavior on the forums, I'd say that the characterization is pretty apt.

What is it that you are seeking, if the quote above does not say it all ? Posted Image

Or i may be a fool, who is being used by you, to bring all these back to sunshine, since you seem to love being the center of attention, regardless of how it comes.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#47 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-13, 18:17

There is something wrong with you if you think it can ever be appropriate to repeat that sick sh it. Seek help.

#48 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-13, 19:13

I'm putting a stop to this thread. It digressed from the original question a while ago, and now it's mostly a flame war between two posters. It's also ended up in the Report box and my Personal Messages, and I'm not in the mood to be bothered about it.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users