BBO Discussion Forums: To Bid or Not to Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

To Bid or Not to Bid

Poll: To Bid or Not to Bid (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid or Not

1. Obvious 4 Hearts (28 votes [90.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.32%

2. Close But 4 Hearts (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Obvious Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Close but Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Something Else (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-January-03, 15:22

Matchpoints

4 or Pass? Is it close?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 15:52

4. I was going to raise hearts anyway, don't see the problem honestly.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 15:53

1) What are you playing? Is 2 GF, almost GF, or 9+with some hearts? (Yes, I know this is a trick question, because I know you play Acol).

2) I would bid 4 without thinking about it, but my partner has either shown GF with 5 hearts, or 10+ and 5 hearts, committed to 2NT or 3suit. Partner needs KQxxx and an ace. Yes, I'm concerned about what happens when 5 comes around to me, doubled or not. But not yet.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 15:56

sorry should have said 2H is typically 10+ points and 5 Hearts minimum
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-04, 03:02

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-03, 15:56, said:

sorry should have said 2H is typically 10+ points and 5 Hearts minimum

More than enough to bid 4 with fit + singleton in their suit, which pd will have no idea if you choose another action other than 4, and he will do something (which includes pass since 2 was not gf, thus your pass won't be forcing either), not knowing the fit, and you will then try to recover from it or just leave him all by himself with his decision. Just bid 4 and get over it is the best of limited actions imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2014-January-04, 07:55

Not only would I be happy to bid 4 here, but if I pass, it would deny the hand I have

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-04, 08:00

how can we not bid our game?

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-04, 10:07

View Postmcphee, on 2014-January-04, 08:00, said:

how can we not bid our game?

Or defend 5 instead of 4, go -100 instead of -130, put partner in position to do the right thing ie. (rarely) bid a slam or bid 5 when appropriate if they take the push .......

Partners hearts are allowed to look a bit like their club suit.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-05, 08:49

hmm I did bid 4H thinking it was kinda clear, but my p (a far better player than me) said that i had been fixed so i should stay fixed - citing the lack of aces as a weakness of the hand. This was the only comment he made which i was a bit like really??

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-05, 10:24

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-05, 08:49, said:

hmm I did bid 4H thinking it was kinda clear, but my p (a far better player than me) said that i had been fixed so i should stay fixed - citing the lack of aces as a weakness of the hand. This was the only comment he made which i was a bit like really??

This is the second thread where you have described your partner as a far better player than you, yet he has said or done something wrong. Could you possibly be assuming facts not in evidence such as the quality of your partner?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-05, 11:02

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-05, 10:24, said:

This is the second thread where you have described your partner as a far better player than you, yet he has said or done something wrong. Could you possibly be assuming facts not in evidence such as the quality of your partner?

This is the first time i've played with this player (he's not the same as the player on the ATB thread) and he is most definitely way better than me, i.e. I think he's ranked pretty high in masterpoints etc.

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-January-05, 13:50

It's definitely a 4 bid.

Yeah, you're a very minimal opener. After RHO's 4 bid though, your hand got better even though the value of your J is now probably nil. All your other points are working and you have a ruffing value in s.

If partner holds as little as something like x KQ10xxx Axx xxx, game has a good chance. But will partner bid it if you pass?

Sorry, but if you err, it's better to err on the side of supporting partner when you have support -- and you have good support.

#13 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-January-05, 23:14

Lack of aces is an issue but you have sources of tricks anyhow and should just bid 4. Perhaps it fetches a bad 5 from the opps even when not making. But I expect it to make more often then not and be the winning action.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 08:54

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-05, 08:49, said:

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-05, 10:24, said:

It's interesting, I have occasionally observed the same thing when playing with players I know to be much better than I am. Despite their clear superiority, they do (infrequently) make errors that I am able to recognize as such. Bridge is a complex game with many widely varying points of skill. The strong player will understand many more of these than I do, which is why she is stronger. But even so, once in a while, there will be a point that I understand and she does not.

Bridge is thick with mixed feedback when learning, to me this is the biggest thing that makes it challenging.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:19

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-05, 11:02, said:

This is the first time i've played with this player (he's not the same as the player on the ATB thread) and he is most definitely way better than me, i.e. I think he's ranked pretty high in masterpoints etc.

The number of masterpoints one owns is only loosely correlated with one's ability. I don't know whether other areas of the world have suffered the MP inflation that has afflicted the ACBL over the past 40 years (in reality, I think the inflation started even earlier than that).

We have, in NA, so many bracketed and flighted and stratified events that it is clear that the ACBL sees masterpoints as an important incentive to keep bad players coming to tournaments. The result is that some experienced players refer to masterpoints as attendance awards.

However, I think Bill's post is the likely explanation for your partner's comments. I suspect that the auction didn't work out well: either 4 went down or he overbid, playing you for more than you had. That sort of thing often triggers partners into putting the blame onto their partner.

While I think you hold a minimum, I also happen to think that you absolutely had to bid 4. That stiff club has improved your hand.

Interestingly, if the problem was that your partner bid again, with a poor outcome, he may have been blaming you in order to avoid acknowledging his own error. It is useful, when partner has made a call under pressure, to assume that partner has a minimum, since good bidders will stretch to bid with a fit. He should assume that you might have done so (as indeed you did) and any move by him is thus fraught with peril. It is he, not you, who should be thinking 'stay fixed'.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 11:37

very interesting points Mike and Bill, thanks :)

I understand about the attendance points thing, there are some players that just turn up to so many events they're bound to rack up a lot of masterpoints!!

With regards to the actual hand, nope it was a decent result for us in 4H made, my p's hand was:

J
AKT763
AT97
Q9

he said he was going to bid 5H to ask for something in clubs, but wasn't sure how I would've taken it...

#17 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-January-09, 04:01

Pass is out.

You have 20+ HCP between you and partner, you have no wastage in their suit.
If you let them play undisturbed in this kind of seq. they will push you around,
so you should better make clear, that you are willing to push back.

The alternatives are 4H or X, as long as X is not a pure penalty double.

Take your pick, but dont pass.

Making the X has the advantage, that you most likely will go plus, and if you
happen to play Acol, 2H may be weaker then some of the posters from North
America may suspect.
Playing MP going plus instead of trying to make a close game is usually a good
idea, but ... this is only an option, if X is not a pure penalty X.

I also think that if you pass, partner should reopen the bidding.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#18 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 17:54

View Postbillw55, on 2014-January-06, 08:54, said:

It's interesting, I have occasionally observed the same thing when playing with players I know to be much better than I am. Despite their clear superiority, they do (infrequently) make errors that I am able to recognize as such. Bridge is a complex game with many widely varying points of skill. The strong player will understand many more of these than I do, which is why she is stronger. But even so, once in a while, there will be a point that I understand and she does not.

Bridge is thick with mixed feedback when learning, to me this is the biggest thing that makes it challenging.

This is also why it is important to try and play with diverse different players and check things in the forums and other places online. Otherwise you'll take your given better partner's advice as always right when in fact it is sometimes right and sometimes wrong. It is also possible (probably not in this case, but in other cases) that you misinterpret something that a better player says that is right in that circumstance but not in others that you think are the same.

#19 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-January-18, 20:30

yes hand lack aces but has excellent source of tricks and a 6-loser hand certainly not a minimum
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users