BBO Discussion Forums: Responder shows a slam try with a semibal 10 count - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder shows a slam try with a semibal 10 count

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 12:04

IMP
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:39

Sorry - meant to post this in the GIB subforum. Can someone move it? Thanks
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-31, 04:34

I guess you are misunderstanding,GIB rebid 2 is showing game try suit with 3 card plus instead of slam try,is it okey?

#4 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-December-31, 07:48

View Postlycier, on 2013-December-31, 04:34, said:

I guess you are misunderstanding,GIB rebid 2 is showing game try suit with 3 card plus instead of slam try,is it okey?

Yes, but he declined the game try and GIB bid 4 anyway, which should be a slam try
Become yourself.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-December-31, 10:40

I suppose that if it is angling for 3N or for that matter any choice of games despite having found a major suit fit then a slam try is not assured. Classic example might be if you might raise a 4+ major to 2 on 3 card support, especially with 4 in other major. Don’t know if GIB plays anything like that. It would be a nice addition to the software if after a robot tourney is closed we could replay a hand and see the effect of different choices, even to the extent of retaining the original random number seed for sims.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 04:38

Please look at this similar hand with similar auction.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-01, 11:41

Auction seems normal up to and including 2S.
Maybe South should treat an 8 LTC hand as a 3H signout despite having a bit of help in S. Certainly 4H is a bad spot. If in doubt maybe a return GT of 2N/3C/3D by South?

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-01, 14:16

Changed my mind about the merits of 2S.
1S-2S-2N shows an unspecified short suit.
I would expect 1H-2H-2S to be the same.
and then 1H-2H-2N/3C/3D would show various long suit trials, 2N showing Spades being the obvious most natural if perhaps non-optimal assignment.

If as described, in GIBberish 1H-2H-2S is a long suit trial in S, then I speculate that 1H-2H-2N would show an unspecified shortage. I have not checked that out, and maybe someone can confirm?
Trouble with that is that if 1H-2H-2N-3C is supposed to enquire after the location of the shortage then there is insufficient room to clarify without comitting to game on one of the shortages.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users