BBO Discussion Forums: Play 5 diamond - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Play 5 diamond

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-22, 12:45

Team match. Auction is not this of course, i just wanted to make it simple.

T1- Lead K everyone follows.
T2-Small and RHO plays the A and you ruff
T3-4 AK and you see W discarding a on second diamond.

What is your plan ? (If you cash club AQ everyone will follow)

Enjoy
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 13:42

trick 5 spade to the J here we diverge depending on if it wins or not

assuming spade J holds the trick

trick 6 ruff a heart

trick 7 club A

trick 8 club Q

trick 9 spade to the K

trick 10 club K intending to pitch a spade (it does rho no good to ruff)

trick 11 lead a heart scoring trumps on tricks 11 and 12 give up trick 13

assuming spade J loses (such is life)

we now need rho to hold 4342 distribution because we need to get to dummy 2 more times for trump shortening to work

trick 6 win in hand assume club return (a heart return makes your life easier)

trick 7 spade to K

trick 8 ruff a heart

trick 9 cash a spade (if rho ruffs ah well)

trick 10 cash 4th spade (if rho ruffs ah well)

trick 11 club Q overtake with K

trick 12 lead anything from dummy and take tricks 12 and 13

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-23, 17:50

View Postgszes, on 2013-December-23, 13:42, said:

trick 5 spade to the J here we diverge depending on if it wins or not

assuming spade J holds the trick

trick 6 ruff a heart

trick 7 club A

trick 8 club Q

trick 9 spade to the K

trick 10 club K intending to pitch a spade (it does rho no good to ruff)

trick 11 lead a heart scoring trumps on tricks 11 and 12 give up trick 13

assuming spade J loses (such is life)

we now need rho to hold 4342 distribution because we need to get to dummy 2 more times for trump shortening to work

trick 6 win in hand assume club return (a heart return makes your life easier)

trick 7 spade to K

trick 8 ruff a heart

trick 9 cash a spade (if rho ruffs ah well)

trick 10 cash 4th spade (if rho ruffs ah well)

trick 11 club Q overtake with K

trick 12 lead anything from dummy and take tricks 12 and 13

George, bro, there is a reason why i post this in B/N forum, so that they can try to work it out. These hands i post here are not for adv + players.

But since your solution is wrong no harm is done Posted Image Recheck and you will find a better line.

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 18:52

I think I'm going to make it!!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 20:27

shoot I do so many of these I lost track of where I was sorry btw I have seen people create "spoilers"

can anyone show me how to do this so I can use them when it is appropriate????ty

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-23, 20:43

View Postgszes, on 2013-December-23, 20:27, said:

shoot I do so many of these I lost track of where I was sorry btw I have seen people create "spoilers"

can anyone show me how to do this so I can use them when it is appropriate????ty

It's simple. I'm going to use spaces between so that it doesn't take, but…

Spoiler

Oh, and I don't know if the novice/beginner players are better in your part of the world, Timo, but this is way more advanced than I'd expect a typical 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year player to ever get right.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 22:08

To spoiler text, do this:
[spoiler]Hidden text goes here[/spoiler]

I know this is the N/B but this really looks like a trump coup :(
I can't get over my entry problem if E wins the spade hook and return a spade though. So either I'm overthinking it or this is not a N/B problem.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 23:26

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 23:52

Cyberyeti, that's what I had in mind but what happens if E ruffs in? You lose a heart, a spade and a ruff.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 03:06

View PostAntrax, on 2013-December-23, 23:52, said:

Cyberyeti, that's what I had in mind but what happens if E ruffs in? You lose a heart, a spade and a ruff.

Ruffs what ? 2nd spade ? 2nd club ?

This requires 5-1 spades or 6-1 clubs, and George is going down with his line if that was the case anyway because he played 2 rounds of black suits even after his spade finesse worked.

This hand is simple if you are aware of the "shortening your trumps to the same number of cards your RHO holds, when you don't have a trump in dummy to finesse" concept a.k.a Trump Coup. You can combine the lesson by knowing that 5-1 distribution is much less than % 50 spade finesse.

Cyber got it right.

@Chris : It depends who their mentor is. If you look at the conventions and systems they talk about in B/N forums, i think it is normal to assume that they are aware of this maneuver. . But even if they are not aware, then i thought this is a good opportunity to introduce them. Not necessarily expecting them to solve it.

I also tried to make a point on why people focus on fancy bidding conventions part of the game, while they don't know the basic or almost basic maneuvers of card play. Even if we agreed for the sake of the argument that all this conventions they talk and debate makes them great at bidding, what purpose does it serve to bid very well if you are going to go down on contracts like this or the one i posted yesterday ?

Even if you disagree that 'trump coup' is something inappropriate for this forum, then i would beg you to agree that there is a huge double standard in N/B forum about bidding and play levels topics.

I said it depends on who their teacher is because i spent 18 years of my life making money from teaching bridge. None of my students learnt any convention but stayman, transfers, blackwood, negative doubles their first 1.5 years. But i made damn well sure they know almost all the basic maneuvers of card play. Can you imagine how hard that is ? I could have easily start the session today with Michaels cuebid, tomorrow 2 way check back etc etc, write on board what they mean and all the relays and whatever and easily could have pass the time. Trying and teaching people card play maneuvers is pain in the butt, because it is hard and need a lot of patience and work. As a teacher you have to do homework everyday. I would think it is my fault if one of my students for 2 years went down in this game i posted. I played the final match of Turkish nationals many times, 3 of them was with my students. Yes, i made it to the final match with people that i taught bridge. You may think that the field is weak, but the full Italian team has been playing in Turkish nationals last 3-4 years i guess, you go and ask them where they finished it. Of course i did not mean they are not good enough for our nationals, but tried to tell you that it was not a picnic walk either.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 05:16

View PostAntrax, on 2013-December-23, 22:08, said:

I can't get over my entry problem if E wins the spade hook and return a spade though. So either I'm overthinking it or this is not a N/B problem.

It depends on how you define the N/B play problems. You can't just put AQxx in dummy and JT9x in hand and ask them how they play it for not losing any tricks when they are talking about control cue bid, michaels cue bid and all.

I am not very happy either to post these in B/N forums, i would much rather prefer I/A forums, however i am looking at the things that they discuss over there, i felt like it would be taken as an insult to post there. Here i can at most be blamed for giving too much credit to the followers of this forum.Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 06:05

I thought you drove trucks?

In any case, in my mind it's complex because it appears late in BridgeMaster. It's entirely possible the concept isn't that advanced, since unlike squeezes you can know for sure what the situation is.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 07:38

View PostAntrax, on 2013-December-24, 06:05, said:

I thought you drove trucks?

In any case, in my mind it's complex because it appears late in BridgeMaster. It's entirely possible the concept isn't that advanced, since unlike squeezes you can know for sure what the situation is.

Yes i own and drive semi trucks. I said i made money for 18 years teaching bridge, and owning a bridge club but that was in the past. At some point in my life, i decided this is not how i want to spend the rest of my life. Trucking is totally coincidence though, i went to CDL school for the fun of it but once you drive a 75 feet long and 80.000 lb combination vehicle, you do not want to drive anything else. Each and everytime at -13 F you put chains on those wheels, which takes about 2 hours, and then every 15 minutes they got loose and u have to tighten em up, you promise yourself that this is your last trip and you will quit it, but each and every time something in me pulls right back into it. Kind of addiction i guess.Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 07:40

The only advanced point is that you need to cash the high spade from hand before going to dummy, otherwise if the hand with the trumps has two spades and two hearts, he pitches a spade when you ruff the third heart.

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 11:30

this is a test nothing useful here
Spoiler

#16 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 11:31

View PostAntrax, on 2013-December-23, 22:08, said:

To spoiler text, do this:
Spoiler

TYTY for good explicit instructions on how to make spoiler work:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 12:08

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-December-23, 23:26, said:

Spoiler

this is indeed a superior LOP because it not only takes advantage of the trump shortening technique

but also recognizes that we have all of the spade spots except for the Q (I failed to note that). This lop

works even if rho ruffs the third round of clubs because declarer can overruff pull the last trump and lose only

one more trick to the spade Q.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 20:21

View Postgszes, on 2013-December-24, 12:08, said:

. This lop

works even if rho ruffs the third round of clubs because declarer can overruff pull the last trump and lose only

one more trick to the spade Q.

Yes, that's true. and i did not make up this hand, all the hands i posted here are from BBO team matches that i kibitzed.

#19 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 21:15

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-December-24, 07:40, said:

The only advanced point is that you need to cash the high spade from hand before going to dummy, otherwise if the hand with the trumps has two spades and two hearts, he pitches a spade when you ruff the third heart.

Good point, my solution was the same as yours except I didn't see this. Thanks.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#20 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-December-25, 04:51

Cyber’s description of the solution: “♣AQ, ♠A, ♠to K, K♣ pitching spade, ♥ ruff, ♠” This is a thing of beauty in its mathematical simplicity and maybe needs no explanation in the I/A forum. Nevertheless, I believe that only the very bright B/I’s will really understand it enough to be able to reproduce a similar play on another occasion. In this respect it is pitched too high. Just as E=mc2 needs some explanation so does this play. So this is how I think B/I’s should approach this problem in order to get most benefit:

1. There are 11 tricks off the top if diamonds behave. That is they break 3-2 or the Jack comes down in 1. This is very good odds.

2. East appears to have ♥Ax so West appears to be leading from ♥KQJxxx.

3. There is no reason not to draw trumps immediately.

4. When East turns up with ♦J9xx, it looks like I have a diamond loser and so I need to find a trick elsewhere.

5. If we try a spade finesse in either direction we go down if we get it wrong.

6. Are there squeeze possibilities? B/I’s may know that you have to rectify the count for most squeezes. Also for the squeeze to work regardless of who has the Q♠ it has to be an automatic double squeeze. This does not look possible since you will be squeezing dummy when you play out the diamonds.

7. Hold on a moment! If we can manage to use dummy to score the ♦1086 by ruffing losers in dummy we have 11 tricks. Let us see. We have already ruffed 1 heart in hand and we have the K♠ entry to ruff another in hand. That leaves only the 10♦ to score to make the contract. We can engineer this if we are prepared to lose a spade and have ♦Q10 as our last cards.

8. So ♣AQ. Now A♠ first or small to K♠? It looks kinda wrong to play A♠ first. (Aren’t we taught that if we have top honours in each hand to lead away?) Let us see what happens if we lead the 8♠ to dummy’s K. K♣ discarding 9♠; then 8♥ ruff in hand with 8♦. However, say we see East discard a 2rd spade on this card. Then when we play a spade back to the ace in our hand and play a 3rd spade East ruffs in. We have now lost 2 tricks and still have a spade loser . Unlucky? Yes but if we play A♠ first and then to K♠ we still make if East started with 3 spades.

9. (Point made by gszes) This line of play works even if East ruffs the third round of clubs because declarer can over ruff pull the last trump and lose only one more trick to the spade Q.

10. Can this fail? It looks like East must have at least 2 clubs (see above) and at least 2 spades. This has to be overwhelmingly likely if we can trust our inferential logic that East only started with 2 hearts. So this line is much better than guessing where the Q♠ is.

11. So let’s do it this way.

We have all seen weak players obsessively ruff in their long trump suit for no good reason other than it feels good to do so, only to find that they eventually go down because they have lost trump control. So interestingly, these players may stumble on this winning line of play here. Change the hand a bit giving declarer ♦AKJ9xx and just ♣Ax and give dummy the Q♣ and this may be fertile ground for a David Bird article.

Please correct me if my analysis has been faulty or sloppy. I did this analysis partly because my declarer play is not as good as it should be and this was a good exercise. Ding Dong merrily.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users