3 card support, opp doubles

#1 User is offline   gambolero 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-19, 00:10

4 AT2 KQ32 JT743
Partner opens 1 and is doubled.
3 is of course preemptive.
I was taught that 2NT (Jordan/Truscott) shows 4 card support.
How do you handle this hand?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-19, 01:34

Transfers are best, but lacking that start with 2. And on this particular hand transfers don't work that well, unless you will transfer to hearts with a hand this strong.

Some players redouble and then support with this sort of hand.

However, any of the above, not showing support immediately, is fraught with danger, since the opponents will bounce in spades and the auction is extremely likely to come back to you at an uncomfortably high level. I think that this is an emergency, and you should bid 2NT (I had a club in with my hearts, partner) or make a fit jump in clubs(I had a diamond in with my hearts).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 02:04

I don't like 2cl. Partner will be on lead against a spade contract so if I bid a suit it will be diamonds .
Redouble is the test book call but I prefer 2nt. Or transfers as Stephanie suggests
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 04:54

Agree with Helene, but ... my rule is no gadgets in the N/B forum (unless the OP offers them himself). So, I stick to the textbook: redouble and show the hearts later.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 06:30

Is 2 forcing here? I was hesitant to recommend it because as a N/B I was taught "all strong hands start with redouble" so 2 was encouraging but NF, 9-11 or so.

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-19, 10:52

2C nf on 5 bad with 3 card heart support and a stiff spade?

Redouble is the textbook way to show a limit raise with 3 card support
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 11:18

The problem with this hand is the stiff spade and the strong indication that they may be bid on your left.

That makes showing heart support right now important and I would choose 2nt but would redouble and support next if I didn't fear having to do it over 2 or 3 spades at my next turn. Bidding 2 on that suit and having one of those spade bids come back to you is leading with your chin.

No such thing as always in this game. My shape and points makes me worth 3 1/2 card heart support imo and if pard bids game I'm not unhappy. This might shut my lho up if they happen to have a really good spade fit (good sack or make) or allow partner to hammer them if they come in at the 3 level with a mediocre one.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-December-19, 11:31

I expect this answer to be fairly unpopular, but I'd bid 2

XX is right on strength, but denies a fit. Partner will be leaving in doubles with the wring hands
2NT misrepresents trump length in the other direction. Here, once again partner will take the wrong view
2 will work out dreadfully if partner is on lead versus a spade contract.
1NT is right on strength. We might survive if I get another bid, but it probably will be ugly if it floats.

I'm bidding 2D, intending to show delayed heart support.
I wish I had another heart, but I'll be much happier with this bid than any other if I am defending a spade contract.

(Note, I'm not worried about whether or not 2D is forcing because its not going to get passed)
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 12:34

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-December-19, 04:54, said:

Agree with Helene, but ... my rule is no gadgets in the N/B forum (unless the OP offers them himself). So, I stick to the textbook: redouble and show the hearts later.
Rik

The OP did offer 2NT, and since he did: The Jordan 2NT response after a double of pard's major can be used with an invitational raise (3+ support) or a G.F. raise which is balanced. Opener doesn't need to know which it is at the time, but it eliminates the need to include hands with support in the redouble mix. Redouble implies no fit is much more "standard", IMO, than Redouble might have a fit.

Any responding hand with a fit for opener needs to get that message across immediately when there has been a takeout double, before lefty jams up the auction. Even those (we) who do employ transfers should rethink ever using them with a fit for opener unless the transfer (one-under) shows that fit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 12:48

Redouble denies a 4+ fit. It's very standard to redouble with this sort of hand when not playing transfers. Partner will initially assume no fit, but know 3 cd support if you raise later. If the opps bounce to 4 spades, it's not ideal, but having concealed 3 cd fit is not as problematic as having concealed 4+. Also with only 3 cd fit it is somewhat less likely that the opps have a huge number of spades.

A natural 2/1 is absolutely non-forcing playing standard, and denies a fit much more emphatically than redouble does, so I can't really understand anyone recommending that. I'd much sooner bid 2nt than a NF 2/1!

#11 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 13:31

View PostVampyr, on 2013-December-19, 01:34, said:

However, any of the above, not showing support immediately, is fraught with danger, since the opponents will bounce in spades and the auction is extremely likely to come back to you at an uncomfortably high level.

I'm not convinced about this. LHO is likely to be quite (or very) weak, and most pairs (in my experience) play jump bids of as showing strength rather than as pre-emptive bids.

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 13:45

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-December-19, 12:34, said:

The OP did offer 2NT, and since he did: The Jordan 2NT response after a double of pard's major can be used with an invitational raise (3+ support) or a G.F. raise which is balanced. Opener doesn't need to know which it is at the time, but it eliminates the need to include hands with support in the redouble mix. Redouble implies no fit is much more "standard", IMO, than Redouble might have a fit.

Any responding hand with a fit for opener needs to get that message across immediately when there has been a takeout double, before lefty jams up the auction. Even those (we) who do employ transfers should rethink ever using them with a fit for opener unless the transfer (one-under) shows that fit.

"Redouble implies no fit" is indeed the standard treatment. This treatment was the basis for my reply.

The textbooks say that Jordan promises 4 card support. The OP clearly has read part of those textbooks, since he is aware that Jordan shows four card support. He just doesn't know what to do with a good hand with 3 card support. In the standard treatment, known as "redouble implies no fit", hands that are invitational or better with 3 card support use the redouble and show the support later. "Redouble implies no fit" does not mean "Redouble denies a fit".

Spoiler for those who want to be beyond the B/N level:
Spoiler

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 13:47

View PostStephen Tu, on 2013-December-19, 12:48, said:

A natural 2/1 is absolutely non-forcing playing standard, and denies a fit much more emphatically than redouble does, so I can't really understand anyone recommending that. I'd much sooner bid 2nt than a NF 2/1!

I couldn't agree more.

Rik

#14 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-19, 16:28

Given support redouble can help ops discover a (likely) spade fit, a jump to 4 may very well be our best choice.

#15 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 18:28

View Postmonikrazy, on 2013-December-19, 16:28, said:

Given support redouble can help ops discover a (likely) spade fit, a jump to 4 may very well be our best choice.

The takeout double already has informed his partner whether a spade fit exists, jumping to 4 hearts doesn't prevent the opps from discovering a fit. Jumping to 4h, which shows 2 more trumps and less in HCP, is more likely to provoke partner into bidding 5H when it is wrong over 4S.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users