BBO Discussion Forums: 1S or X - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

1S or X

Poll: 1S or X (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What Action Here

1. 1 Spade (20 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Double (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Other (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-December-17, 07:13

IMPS (BBO hand)

this hand came up just now, i wasn't sure what my best bid was. I thought for a bit but decided to X on the basis that 1 - it's basically take out double shape except for an extra spade and 2) p might be wanting me to X so he can pass it for pens if he has a stack of H himself.

However literally everyone else on the hand bid 1S. Was X crazy lol?

Thanks,

Eagles

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 07:17

The shape demands 1, but balancing is a little different. Using the add-a-king-when-balancing rule, we might start with double, it's close. Plus ops are vul, once in a while we can hang 'em high. I think I would try it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 07:25

It's close but I think I would like a slightly better hand for X followed by 2. So 1 for me.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 07:50

I think that 1 this time, planning to X over 2 when it gets back to me next time, describes the hand better than X first time and 2 next time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-17, 09:07

View Posteagles123, on 2013-December-17, 07:13, said:

IMPS (BBO hand)

this hand came up just now, i wasn't sure what my best bid was. I thought for a bit but decided to X on the basis that 1 - it's basically take out double shape except for an extra spade and 2) p might be wanting me to X so he can pass it for pens if he has a stack of H himself.

However literally everyone else on the hand bid 1S. Was X crazy lol?

Thanks,

Eagles

As you can see, the reasson people consider double here is not because of the shape, but because of the strengh, Q more and they probebly double, but again not because of the shape. as for the shape, always give higher priority to majors, the difference between a the 5 card major you have in spade, and the 3 card minor is huge. (especially that the spades looks so nice). change the spades and diamonds and people will like the double much more.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-December-17, 16:03

all makes sense thanks all :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is online   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 16:27

I would bid 1, but with a low singleton heart and KQJx in clubs, I think that would be strong enough for double then 2 in balancing seat.

#8 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 20:20

Since we're in fourth hand there's not much need for a weak jump overcall. If discussed with partner I think it is sensible to overcall 2S here, showing a good spade suit and perhaps 14-16 hcp.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 14:37

View PostKungsgeten, on 2013-December-17, 20:20, said:

Since we're in fourth hand there's not much need for a weak jump overcall. If discussed with partner I think it is sensible to overcall 2S here, showing a good spade suit and perhaps 14-16 hcp.

I would expect a 6th Spade from a partner who did that opposite me.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-December-18, 15:00

Top of the range for a 1 balance. Not quite a good enough hand for double followed by 1, and not a long enough suit for a 2 balance.

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-December-18, 15:12

View PostArtK78, on 2013-December-18, 15:00, said:

Top of the range for a 1 balance. Not quite a good enough hand for double followed by 1, and not a long enough suit for a 2 balance.

We agree 100%.

#12 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 16:49

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-December-18, 14:37, said:

I would expect a 6th Spade from a partner who did that opposite me.

Ofcourse, I must have miscounted the spades in the diagram :D
In that case I would bid 1 with this hand.

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 19:40

View PostArtK78, on 2013-December-18, 15:00, said:

I also agree with this.

"Borrowing a King" has been mentioned, but I don't think that this refers to doubling and then bidding a suit. It's about choosing whether to act at all with a marginal hand.

To the OP: you will not go far wrong if you make it a policy never to make a takeout double with a 5-card major. The only time I would ever consider it is over a minor where I had a stronger 4-card major. I can't even remember the last time I did this.

Of course this does not apply if you have a very strong hand and are intending to double and then bid your suit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users