What do you Expect for 1H and What Now?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-December-09, 18:06

Think I got this one wrong:

red vs white

Firstly, what do you expect for 1H in this situation? and secondly, what do you bid with N hand when W bids 1S over 1H :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-09, 20:08

View Posteagles123, on 2013-December-09, 18:06, said:

Think I got this one wrong:

red vs white

Firstly, what do you expect for 1H in this situation? and secondly, what do you bid with N hand when W bids 1S over 1H :)

Pd is a passed hand, so lacks the ability to open with a 1, 2 or 3 bid. Pd has less than 11 and a decent 5 card suit. Perhaps pd is 2 suited if we do not play 2 suited openings. As a result I content myself with a simple 2H
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 21:31

View Posteagles123, on 2013-December-09, 18:06, said:

There are times when you can overthink a hand, and this looks like one of them. I expect partner to have 5 hearts and overcall values. Since I have a 9 loser 10-count with three card support opposite a passed hand, I raise to 2H. If partner has 4 of them and it goes badly, or if partner has a magic hand to make game, then that's just too bad.

I might double later in the auction, but I'm not taking a push to the 3 level.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 22:18

View Postsfi, on 2013-December-09, 21:31, said:

There are times when you can overthink a hand, and this looks like one of them. I expect partner to have 5 hearts and overcall values. Since I have a 9 loser 10-count with three card support opposite a passed hand, I raise to 2H. If partner has 4 of them and it goes badly, or if partner has a magic hand to make game, then that's just too bad.

I might double later in the auction, but I'm not taking a push to the 3 level.

All true except the doubling later part (well maybe a slam). I wouldn't even think about the overthinking thing, or any of the other concerns. I have a raise of an overcall, so I raise the overcall.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-10, 10:47

A hand with hearts that couldn't open.

In more detail, I expect it to be:
  • Lower than opening strength
  • Too impure to preempt (e.g. Axxx/KJTxxx/xx/x, or xx/KQJxx/xx/xxxx)

(especially since partner's first call was second in, RvW).

I have enough to raise here: it will push opponents much more than passing, so my bid is 2.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-10, 11:15

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-December-10, 10:47, said:

A hand with hearts that couldn't open.

This. It should be a good suit vulnerable, and might have positional values based on the auction. Perhaps something like xxx KQJxx KTxx x.

If this is from BBO, often the bidder will have a garbage 5-card suit, but just likes to bid regardless of vulnerability or even his hand. With a partner I trust, I bid 2. With a BBO random, I pass and hope he doesn't bid again.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-10, 11:37

1H should show 4-5 hearts, 8+ points. Occasionally partner may show up with a good 4 card heart suit with a 4333 hand of 11+ or similar hand lacking distributional strength. For instance a hand like Jx AQxx Qxxx Kxx may opt not to open.

Raising to 2H is standard.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-10, 11:57

2 seems semi-standout. Granted, though, partner is more likely to have a 4-card suit than in any other sequence, IMO, such that passing has some upside. I do not want a heart lead, and raising to 2 probably accomplishes nothing useful.

An argument can be made (and I would make it) that this sequence allows me to make a fit-bid of sorts -- meaning a lead-director enabled by the fact of a fit. Hence, bidding 2 as "I have a fit but I want a diamond lead" makes sense here. Same for 2, perhaps, but 2 is probably needed as natural. Hence, perhaps 2 should actually say "I have a heart fit but don't want a heart lead?"

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users