BBO Discussion Forums: What is a "Half Double" stopper? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

What is a "Half Double" stopper? Definition request

#1 User is offline   imaquila 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-November-12, 20:50

Hoping someone can explain the various types of "stoppers".

#2 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-13, 01:00

View Postimaquila, on 2013-November-12, 20:50, said:

Hoping someone can explain the various types of "stoppers".

Where did you hear this term? It is new to me. A double stopper is something like AKx (or even AQx in declarer's hand), and a half-stopper is a holding that by itself is not a stopper but, when combined with partner's holding, is a stopper. Best example is Jxx opposite Qx.

Using inference I woudl think a "half-double stopper" is one of two things:
1. A holding that will be a single stopper always and a double stopper half the time. Something like AQx in dummy opposite xx.
2. A holding that will be a by itself will not stop the suit necessarily once but, facing another similar holding, is guaranteed to stop it twice. Something like JTxx in dummy opposite Q9x. (Neither holding, opposite xx, is even a full stopper, but combined it is a guaranteed double stop.)

Hope this helps.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-13, 03:46

Don't know the term but something like AJx over a bid suit could also apply.

#4 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-November-13, 03:49

AJ9 or KQx is what comes to mind but "half double" really sounds stupid, isn't "half double" = "single"?

#5 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-13, 03:53

If what is meant is "between a stopper and a double stopper", I would go for the term "sesqui-stopper".

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-November-13, 09:32

I've heard "a stopper and a half" before I think.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-13, 09:35

View Postcampboy, on 2013-November-13, 03:53, said:

If what is meant is "between a stopper and a double stopper", I would go for the term "sesqui-stopper".

Most books go with the term "one and a half stoppers", which used to be the standard for a 1NT overcall once upon a time. But throwing a bit of latin around is always good for impressing folks so let's work on making your term a keeper.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   imaquila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-November-13, 12:37

Thanks for all the input. I've seen the term used in Bridge Baron. (Although since no one here has heard of it I'll need to watch more closely to verify that I haven't mangled it). I DO know that what ever the term was it did not make sense to me. I was used in explaining hand evaluations (Before I can see partner's hand) so I suspect that Cyberyeti may have it figured out. I peek a lot at hand evaluations to get a better sense of what to look for when deciding on a bid. It is NOT by mistake that I'm posting here in the Beginning/Novice forum. I understand simple stoppers like A and Kx but I still count AJx as 1 stopper. Is there an article somewhere here that explains how the Js are counted as stoppers?

Thanks again for all the various insights. Oh and I agree that "half double" sounds like a single!

#9 User is offline   spaderaise 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-November-14, 08:56

View Postimaquila, on 2013-November-13, 12:37, said:

Thanks for all the input. I've seen the term used in Bridge Baron. (Although since no one here has heard of it I'll need to watch more closely to verify that I haven't mangled it). I DO know that what ever the term was it did not make sense to me. I was used in explaining hand evaluations (Before I can see partner's hand) so I suspect that Cyberyeti may have it figured out. I peek a lot at hand evaluations to get a better sense of what to look for when deciding on a bid. It is NOT by mistake that I'm posting here in the Beginning/Novice forum. I understand simple stoppers like A and Kx but I still count AJx as 1 stopper. Is there an article somewhere here that explains how the Js are counted as stoppers?

Thanks again for all the various insights. Oh and I agree that "half double" sounds like a single!

I also have Bridge Baron, on my iphone, and I haven't seen the phrase "Half double stopper" in that version, but it does use the phrase "Half or double stopper", which is still fairly odd. But then its explanations of bids are often risibly bad. It seems to have a very limited language in which to explain meanings. For example, a Michaels overcall (1H) 2H will be explained merely as "5+ spades"; apparently the "5+ diamonds or 5+ clubs" information is simply too complicated to convey.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users