BBO Discussion Forums: Any Blame on This One - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Any Blame on This One

Poll: Any Blame on This One (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Any Blame

1. No Blame (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 100% East (6 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. 75% East (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

4. equal blame (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. 75% West (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. 100% West (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

7. Blame on Both Sides (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-November-06, 06:42

We missed 4H on this one, yes it's tricky on a spade lead but still makeable. Even 3 clubs X would have scored better for us. Is there any blame here or just bad luck?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-06, 07:22

I'd have passed the double of 3C with the east hand: you've already bid your suit twice and your king of clubs appears to be a defensive value.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-November-06, 07:31

After partner's redouble, I would probably just bid 4. At a minimum, I would bid 3 rather than 2 on the second round.

East's bidding represented a weak hand with long hearts unsuitable for defense and not interested in bidding a game. West has a good hand, but with East representing a bad hand it is not clear that there is a game on the cards. I voted 100% of the blame to East, and that may be a bit harsh, but East clearly misrepresented the nature of his hand so I gave him the blame.

By the way, there is no guarantee that you are beating 3x.

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 07:47

This hand depends on how you have elected to bid after the re-double. When the opening hand re-bid 2H and does not offer partner the chance to double for penalty they are showing an offensive hand. I think it was pretty clear for the re-double hand to raise H frankly, 2 trumps along with 2 aces is just far too much to say pass. I am not anxious to bid 3H facing short H as I feel this is too encouraging.

#5 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 09:29

100% East.

West described his hand accurately, East wasn't paying attention. Even if W is void in this could easily be a one-loser trump suit.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-November-06, 10:44

West has no business doubling 3. He has terrible shape and no right to expect partner to hold a club trick...his double was pure penalty in standard methods, and he is looking at 2 tricks and a partner who has shown a minimum hand with long hearts. The auction strongly suggests that S has a stiff heart, so where are the tricks if partner holds say 3=6=3=1 with Qxx AKQxxx xxx x, which is consistent with the bidding?

He has a perfectly good natural 3 call.

Now, would or should that get East to bid game? I doubt it: that club K looks like wasted values on offence.

This seems to me to be another hand where really there is no blame. There was what I think was a bad call: the double. There was also what I think was another questionable call: 3. However, I think that better bidding would have reached the same spot.

As for the play being 'tricky' on a spade lead, that's not the word I would use. Lucky is more like it: how are you playing trump? A first round hook to guard against a 4-0 break, losing to the stiff Q offside, or one top honour, then to dummy in clubs and hook, or play for the drop? I'd go for the middle, since clubs are marked as 4=4, and spades probably 4=3, and if N held 4=4 minors, he might well bid 2 or (if pass wasn't penalty) pass. So I'd read N as 3=3=3=4.

Btw, on some layouts the opps might be playing 3 rounds of diamonds, ruffing in, and then leading a spade, and now the play is even more problematic unless the heart Q drops on the first round of trump. However, the auction almost rules that out.

A hint: everyone, world champion on down to beginner, gets bad results, such as missing a good contract. It is a basic mistake to assume that every time this happens, somebody did something wrong. Show me a system and style that never gets it 'wrong', and I will quit the game, since half of the challenge will have gone out of the game (assuming I was capable of remembering that method).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 15:15

View PostArtK78, on 2013-November-06, 07:31, said:

After partner's redouble, I would probably just bid 4. At a minimum, I would bid 3 rather than 2 on the second round.

East's bidding represented a weak hand with long hearts unsuitable for defense and not interested in bidding a game. West has a good hand, but with East representing a bad hand it is not clear that there is a game on the cards. I voted 100% of the blame to East, and that may be a bit harsh, but East clearly misrepresented the nature of his hand so I gave him the blame.

By the way, there is no guarantee that you are beating 3x.

You described that with the 2 bid. With a strong defensive value in clubs (which may mean nothing on offense) pulling 3X is way too one pushy. Why do you think we're not beating 3?

Right Syde Clyde

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-November-06, 15:52

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-November-06, 15:15, said:

You described that with the 2 bid. With a strong defensive value in clubs (which may mean nothing on offense) pulling 3X is way too one pushy. Why do you think we're not beating 3?

What you describe with a 2 call is a minimum hand with 6 hearts and no interest in defending a low level partscore. You have not described a hand with AKJxxxx of hearts which should have reasonable play for 4 opposite almost any hand good enough to redouble. That is the argument in favor of bidding 4. One might be a little less confident and bid 3, showing a purely offensive hand which does not want to defend a low level partscore but is highly invitational to game in hearts.

As for beating 3x, I said that there is no guarantee that you will beat 3x, not that you would not beat 3x. Sometimes, the opponents have some distributional surprises for you, and you wind up -670.

#9 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 16:09

View PostArtK78, on 2013-November-06, 15:52, said:

What you describe with a 2 call is a minimum hand with 6 hearts and no interest in defending a low level partscore. You have not described a hand with AKJxxxx of hearts which should have reasonable play for 4 opposite almost any hand good enough to redouble. That is the argument in favor of bidding 4. One might be a little less confident and bid 3, showing a purely offensive hand which does not want to defend a low level partscore but is highly invitational to game in hearts.

As for beating 3x, I said that there is no guarantee that you will beat 3x, not that you would not beat 3x. Sometimes, the opponents have some distributional surprises for you, and you wind up -670.

When they only have 8 trump, there's only so much they can do to surprise you. Who cares about 4? If we can make that we can beat 3 a couple of tricks when defending is partner's preference. I get it you have one extra heart, but does that really equal overriding partner at this point? I mean look at this hand: partner has as many hearts as he could possibly have (he could have been void): where do you want to be? Declaring 4 or defending 3X?

Right Syde Clyde

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-November-06, 16:42

I guess you are right. But I can only see one hand when I am bidding.

#11 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 00:33

Probably East should have bid 3 instead of 2 but there is no way he can just leap to game opposite a redouble. West has more than enough to bid game at the end and deserves most of the blame.

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-November-07, 02:10

View Posteagles123, on 2013-November-06, 06:42, said:

We missed 4H on this one, yes it's tricky on a spade lead but still makeable. Even 3 clubs X would have scored better for us. Is there any blame here or just bad luck?

Thanks,

Eagles

Actually I would have got there by opening 4H. Pulling the x of 3C is poor. This is penalties and you have the CK. What more do you want? I would have played 3Cx after a 1H opening.
By the way, I would not have xx either, nor would I have x 3C. You do not have a penalty x of 3C, but that is another story.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 03:02

I believe there is too much general reluctance to defend: too much criticism of west's double of 3, too much sympathy for east's pull.

West has to believe that each side has like an 8 card fit, but maybe someone has 9: probably partner won't sit a double on this kind of auction with 7 hearts and a club void so it's reasonable to bid as though there are at most a total of 17 trump. Now let's consult the law with 17 presumed trump (though there are possibly only 16):
If 3 is making then hearts is playing for 8 tricks. Now do I really believe that we can't make 3? Seems pretty unlikely.
If 3 is down 1 then hearts makes 3, where do you want to be?
If 4 makes then 3 is down 2, where do you want to be?
Plus when you play hearts, you aren't sure whether or no it's right to be in 4, but defending 3CX spares you having to know.

Right Syde Clyde

#14 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-November-07, 03:13

Hi,

the bidding was up and including the double of 3C reasonable, so was passing 3H.

The double of 3C is penalty, opener has the King of clubs and should pass it out,
bidding 3H say, I dont have an opening bid.
But than he should have opened the bidding differently, say with a 4H preempt.

Not reaching game in an uncontested auction, would not have been the end of the
world.

So the blame goes to East.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-November-07, 03:35

Thanks folk, I was West on the this hand. I thought my double of 3 clubs was more suggesting penalties, showing something in clubs and a hand that didn't have great hearts rather than pure penalties. I was thinking about the vulnerability as well, I might just have raised hearts if we were red and they were white... but I can see I probably had too strong a hand to pass out 3H - the reason I didn't is I thought I had already bid my hand - not quite an opening bid but still pretty good.

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 03:39

There should have been some votes for "no blame". You missed a good-but-not-cold game that hangs on East's sec K in the enemy suit somewhat unexpectedly giving a sure trick.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-November-07, 10:53

It is tough to assign any blame here. However, if I were partnering a clone of myself the bidding would go:
1-(x) - (xx) - 2
2-(3)- 3-(p)
?
With just Axxx the penalty double looks too risky and partner does not know that I have doubleton heart support so I bid 3 here. When 3 comes round to my east clone I think I would be tempted to go for 4certainly at teams and maybe at pairs but it would be close. I confess I would not be confident either way.

There again, when I look at both hands I would want to defend 3 x for a near certain 200 and a possible 500 if 4 makes. So now do I have to apportion blame to my clones :blink:
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#18 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 12:30

View PostWackojack, on 2013-November-07, 10:53, said:

So now do I have to apportion blame to my clones :blink:

You need a poll option for posters to blame themselves? :lol:

Our opening style is pretty loose, especially on these colors. The 2 bid shows a weak 2 that was a touch too good (maybe) and this one is a 3 of that flavor which is plenty high enough if west has softer values than the 2 bullets.

Pulling a redouble to whatever level says that whatever you think you were beating, I don't on general principles.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-November-07, 18:11

View Posteagles123, on 2013-November-07, 03:35, said:

Thanks folk, I was West on the this hand. I thought my double of 3 clubs was more suggesting penalties, showing something in clubs and a hand that didn't have great hearts rather than pure penalties. I was thinking about the vulnerability as well, I might just have raised hearts if we were red and they were white... but I can see I probably had too strong a hand to pass out 3H - the reason I didn't is I thought I had already bid my hand - not quite an opening bid but still pretty good.

Thanks,

Eagles

Where is the hand you held when you made the penalty x. The shown hand is not within cooee of a penalty x of 3C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2013-November-09, 16:46

I voted equal blame. for obvious reasons with the heart hand. but responder crazy if thinks making profit with 3X. and bidding 4 later.

but listening to discussion there is much to these sort of sequences which needs to be discussed. this should be discussed rather than trying to assign blame!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users