• 2 Pages +

15 Count Over Weak 2 Bid or Not

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-October-29, 04:05

Matchpoints

is it worth bidding with this type of hand or is pass more sensible? I chose 2N at the table but considered it quite risky!

thanks

Eagles

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-October-29, 04:08

2NT is indeed risky, therefore double is better. Don't worry too much about having 4 hearts. Partner should know that 3 hearts is also possible and should try for 3NT if he also has a spade stop.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:37

I would double. 2nt might work. Pass is out of the question with doubleton spade and a 15 count.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 11:07

IMO

X = 10
Pass = 7
2NT = 2

The problem with 2NT, is that you need to hit partner to come close to making, and if you hit partner you'll be in a lot more than

I strongly prefer for 2NT to start at a robust 16 or so, and on this auction I'm counting your hand as more like 13... Kx in their suit is kinda bad, AKQx is overvalued at 9.

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-October-29, 11:28

I would dbl.

[Aside for I/A's who happen to be reading: With good Lebensohl agreements, you will be able to play 3N when partner has GF values and only 4 hearts.]
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-29, 12:02

The hand is worth an action (I advocate sound actions over preempts - this hand qualifies).

I lean towards double over 2NT, as you should have a better holding in spades for 2NT and the distribution is only 1 card off of a classic takeout double. Admittedly, the card is in hearts, and your heart holding of T9x is far from ideal for a takeout double. Hence, my lean, rather than strong preference, for the double.

I would not be upset with a partner who chose 2NT. Passing, on the other hand, is too wimpy (with all due respect to Popeye's friend).

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-October-29, 12:17

2NT.

We had this discussion before.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 07:32

Sorry, but 2N is just bad here. We look booked for at least -2 when partner doesn't have much, and when he does we will quite possibly be -2 in 3N as well.

Even if parter has a "dream" hand like Jxx KQxx xxx Axx even 2N isn't assured, and we'll be playing 3.

#9 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-October-30, 07:45

I lean towards 2NT. The weak 2 opener raises the ante so that a bit of bad luck either way could give you a bad match point score.

Consider what partner's hand should be "on average" If opener has 7 points, partner's average is 9. If opener has 9 points partner's average is 8. Thus it seems that the risk in passing is roughly the same as in bidding. If you are going to bid then do you double or bid 2N?

I think that 2N is more likely to get you to both the right game or part score than the double. (Neither bid protects you from a penalty double should partner be very weak and balanced) After 2N partner can pass, transfer or bid 3N. Double drives you to the 3 level and possibly a 4-3 fit whether or not you are playing Lebensohl.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#10 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 08:19

Thanks folk, at the table LHO had AKQxx of hearts and RHo the Ace of Spades for a cold bottom in 2N - 1 when pretty much everyone else was in 2S going off with p having QTxx of spades :angry:

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-October-30, 08:49

View Posteagles123, on 2013-October-30, 08:19, said:

Thanks folk, at the table LHO had AKQxx of hearts and RHo the Ace of Spades for a cold bottom in 2N - 1 when pretty much everyone else was in 2S going off with p having QTxx of spades :angry:

Eagles

So basically you went down, because the player on lead, had 5 cashing tricks in an unbid suit,
and the ace in the preempt suit was with the preemptor. Happens.

And would your partner happily have passed 2S? Not knowing, that you hold Kx in the preempt suit?
If he would, ask him, how he would have felt, if you turned up with xx or just a singleton.
And if he still says sure, ... prepare yourself for lots of 2Sx= / 2Sx+?

Having said that: 2NT is not everybodys cup of coffee, we had this discussion, what to do with
the same hand after 1S opening.
I voted 1NT, so no big surprise when I vote for 2NT, lots of other players, some much better than me,
voted X. Take your choice, accept the bad beats.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 09:15

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2013-October-30, 08:49, said:

we had this discussion, what to do with
the same hand after 1S opening.
I voted 1NT, so no big surprise when I vote for 2NT

1NT is a very different contract than 2NT.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-October-30, 09:23

I also double vs 1S for what it's worth.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-30, 09:58

View PostTylerE, on 2013-October-30, 09:15, said:

1NT is a very different contract than 2NT.

And a 1 opening is a much different opening than a 2 opening.I don't know where I am heading with this comment, but it needed to be said. :)

#15 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 10:10

View Postgwnn, on 2013-October-30, 09:23, said:

I also double vs 1S for what it's worth.

I think I do too, but it's much closer. Like maybe X=10 1NT=7

#16 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-October-30, 12:24

And to complete the NT latter - I would also bid 3NT over 3S.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#17 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 12:31

ok thanks everyone and P_Marlowe, I just put up the hands I struggle with or was unsure with, I apologise if i'm repeating s similar issue from before, but it's never intentional.

thanks,

Eagles

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-October-30, 12:51

View Posteagles123, on 2013-October-30, 12:31, said:

ok thanks everyone and P_Marlowe, I just put up the hands I struggle with or was unsure with, I apologise if i'm repeating s similar issue from before, but it's never intentional.

thanks,

Eagles

This is ok, we are in the right forum. (Thats why my answer "this was discussed before" was terrible.)

In the end I think, the generic question is given the hand pattern, what to do over a 1S / 2S / 3S
opening bid by the opponents. And you will get different answers.

For me this is simple: I will react to a preempt opening in the same way, I would react to a 1 level
opening bid. Maybe strengthen the req. for simple overcalls a little bit. But thats it for me.

If you look at the answers, you will see, that those who go with a T/O after 2S, would also make a T/O
over 1S, they may think it closer over 1S, but they still lean toward this decision.
In short, they follow the same rule, only that their decision over 1S is different than the one I would
take.

Add a 4th heart to the hand, removing a minor card, you may get answers, that will make a NT over call
and a T/O depending on the level, ... I would not, but I am boring, but the 4th heart makes T/O a lot
more attractive.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: Hopefully this mail compensates enough for the original short cut answer by me. And keep in mind,
it is not important which decision you take, as long as you understand the pros and cons of the decision.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#19 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 17:22

If you do not use lebensohld (LEB) learn it and at the very least use it over the opps
weak 2 bids (it can be used in many other situations). This hand appears to be close
between 2n and x and x clearly stands out but not for the most obvious of reasons.

Would you normally be willing to open 1n with your hand knowing one of the opps had
a probable 6 card suit and that the suit would be led??? Your answer should be no with
this particular hand because your Kx is a non control stopper ie the opps can let you win it
at their disgression and keep communications open if necessary. Change your Kx to Axx
and you have a completely different story at least you can hope to isolate the long suit
from their partner by ducking the ace and hopefully take any finesses away from the hand
with the long suit ready to run. The difference of merely changing Kx to Axx makes a 2n
bid a much better choice than x.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-October-30, 18:15

This is a x. It is not a 2NT bi which is a very poor bid imo.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users