BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Opening Bid 1C or 2N

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-03, 05:26

the hog, on 2013-November-02, 20:00, said:

Helene, how can "both be fine?". If 2NT is fine, it should exclude opening this hand with 1C and vice versa.

I think that you fail to acknowledge that the relative merits of alternative calls vary only by degree, measured by the integral of the product of possible outcomes and their likelihoods. It is entirely possible that two calls competing for top slot might vary only minutely in that measurement, in which case both might be judged "fine".
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-03, 05:26

the hog, on 2013-November-02, 20:00, said:

Helene, how can "both be fine?". If 2NT is fine, it should exclude opening this hand with 1C and vice versa.

There are hands that fall into a grey area, this is one, very few people have definitively discussed just how the distribution of honours needs to be to change this from 1 to 2N, tends to occur with 2236/2245 or similar and also may vary with system, if your club opener actually shows clubs, you may prefer that more often.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-November-03, 09:26

How about fine and more fine?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-November-03, 17:51

aguahombre, on 2013-November-03, 09:26, said:

How about fine and more fine?

Exactly. Fine for me means the correct bid. You cannot have two bids that are equally correct or your system is too fluid.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#25 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-03, 22:31

StevenG, on 2013-October-31, 12:57, said:

The more I read this thread, the more I think that 2NT might be better at IMPs, and 1 at MPs.

If anything, I'd think it would be the opposite. Opening 2N is more likely to lead to 3N (which is more likely to be better in MPs) whereas 1 is more likely to lead to 5 (which is more likely to be better in IMPs).

Regardless of the above sentence, if 2N is balanced 21-22HCP, that's what I'd open.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users