BBO Discussion Forums: Intra Finesse - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intra Finesse

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-16, 07:33

The title of this Forum is "Interesting Bridge Hands," so I thought I would post this hand that I played in an ACBL BBO Robot game last night.

Matchpoints.

East led his two top hearts and shifted to the club 3, won with the 9 (an error, but I overcame it). It certainly seemed unlikely that East had the K, and it also seemed likely that West had some diamond length. It took me a few moments, but I worked out that I could bring in the diamond suit for one loser if East had Tx or Jx (or JT doubleton, but that is less likely than Jx or Tx together).

So, I crossed to the A and led the 9 and ran it to the J - an Intra Finesse! I won the club return in dummy (fortunately it was not ruffed) and led the Q - K - A - T. Success!!

There are other layouts to bring in the diamond suit for only one loser (for example, a singleton diamond J or 10 in the East hand), but this one was fun.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-16, 17:49

nice indeed-- I am still searching for your error though-- if it was winning the club in hand
that was irrelevant to the intra finesse play since you needed rho to hold at least 2 clubs
no matter what and since rho didn't return a spade it is hugely unlikely they had a singleton
spade. My eyes are getting tired looking for what you did wrong pleas enlighten:))))) well done

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-16, 17:53

View Postgszes, on 2013-October-16, 17:49, said:

nice indeed-- I am still searching for your error though-- if it was winning the club in hand
that was irrelevant to the intra finesse play since you needed rho to hold at least 2 clubs
no matter what and since rho didn't return a spade it is hugely unlikely they had a singleton
spade. My eyes are getting tired looking for what you did wrong pleas enlighten:))))) well done

Since I had to lead the diamond towards the Qxx I should have won trick 3 in the long diamond hand. I made it slightly more likely that there could be an opposing ruff by crossing in spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users