BBO Discussion Forums: DBL? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

DBL?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-October-14, 08:16

is there any merit to doubling here, and if not what more would I need to have (presuming it would be takeout lol)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   fbuijsen 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-14, 08:29

Seems like a very clearcut pass to me. Let's give partner about the best possible hand, something like xxx AJxxx xx xxx. You are likely to lose 1 spade, 2 diamond and 2 or 3 clubs. So if everything works perfect, you'll be 3 down for -500. But you shouldn't be too surprised about -1100 or worse either.

(I'm actually doubtful about whether dbl would be takeout here, since you can't really have a hand that wants to bid it for takeout).
Frans Buijsen
Haarlem, The Netherlands

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-October-14, 08:32

just realised I put the vulnerability wrong they were red we were white if it makes a difference.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-14, 10:45

You had a subminimum double of a 1 opening, meaning that only very aggressive players would double a 1 opening on these cards.

Now RHO has shown a very strong hand. Unless the opps are playing with you, they have virtually all of the remaining strength, and, unless partner has a massive fit with one of your suits, playing at the 5 level will be a disaster.

Is there a chance that a double will work? Sure, there is a chance. But I would bet against it.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-October-14, 11:42

If you'd been sitting South, you'd have a minimum double of 1 with these cards as I like the distribution and spots.
However, at this level, you have one of the finest passes ever dealt to anyone.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users