reopen?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-13, 10:45

imps all white

Kxx x AKQx JTxxx

1C (4H) P P ?

Playing negative doubles through 4H. Is a reopening dbl here mandatory or do I need more stuff?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-13, 12:02

I would pass
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-13, 12:03

More stuff.

If pard bids we will likely get hammered since they can't have enough after passing the first time.

If they pass it has to be a guilt edged trap since I'm getting an unfavorable club lead and there is no guarantee that a bunch of diamonds will live anyway. Not 100% to work but with the odds.

It's more attractive if I had opened 1 for a potential diamond over, something through on defense but still a big risk if pard has flatish shape and couldn't bid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-13, 12:11

Here is how I look it: The issue with Negative doubles is that reopening doubles by Opener must be more frequent; but, this is a general concept, only.

As the opponent's preempt or overcall gets higher, the Negative Double itself must become less traditional and more merely card showing; and the reopening Double with shortness in their suit becomes less automatic. With this hand my scales would be:

1m (1H) yes
1m (2H) yes
1m (3H) no
1m (higher) no

At some point we just say, "hmm, I showed an opening bid; that is what I have; I won't show the same thing again just in case partner missed my first bid.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users