BBO Discussion Forums: Who won the "Friendliest BBO player" poll? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who won the "Friendliest BBO player" poll? BBO News retrieval

#1 User is offline   EddyHaskel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-16, 08:29

BBO recently (through Sept 15 2013) ran a very informal poll via the "BBO News" pages which asked people to nominate other users for the title of the "Friendliest Person on BBO." I was away for the weekend and apparently I missed the results of that poll. Not a big deal, but I would like to retrieve that posting if possible. This reminds me that on occasion I've missed other BBO News posts which had expired and were removed from the daily headlines. Are old BBO News items stored somewhere and, if so, is there a link to find them?
Many thanks!
Eddy/Dave

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-September-16, 09:00

I know some posters on these Fora who would come in second, if everyone else tied for first.

:)

#3 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 09:03

Someone else asked about retrieving old news articles and this link was provided as the solution. I assume it's updated frequently but I can't find the friendliest BBOer article so who knows.

http://webutil.bridg...ews_taglist.php
OK
bed

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-16, 09:33

The title used the word "nicest", not "friendliest", that may be why you couldn't find it. Here it is:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1699

But the winner hasn't been announced yet. Nominations just closed last night.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 12:04

ArtK78, on 2013-September-16, 09:00, said:

I know some posters on these Fora who would come in second, if everyone else tied for first.
Heh, I know some posters who would come in second if everyone tied for first :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   EddyHaskel 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 15:18

jjbrr, on 2013-September-16, 09:03, said:

Someone else asked about retrieving old news articles and this link was provided as the solution. I assume it's updated frequently but I can't find the friendliest BBOer article so who knows.

http://webutil.bridg...ews_taglist.php

Thanks!!1 That's exactly the link I was hoping to find! Cheers!

#7 User is offline   EddyHaskel 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 15:23

barmar, on 2013-September-16, 09:33, said:

The title used the word "nicest", not "friendliest", that may be why you couldn't find it. Here it is:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1699

But the winner hasn't been announced yet. Nominations just closed last night.

Thanks... right... "nicest." I googled for "friendliest" on bridgebase.com and found several articles about friendly people (who I'm sure are probably nice, too :)) but not the article in question.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-September-29, 01:38

I checked "nice" in the dictionary and it is not that complimentary; options including
"Forming or observing very small differences"
"Calling for very fine discrimination"
"Delicate"
"Dainty"
"Fastidious"
"Hard to please"
"Over-particular"

From old French meaning foolish or simple, originally Latin nescius (ignorant) from ne (not) scire (to know).
Perhaps "friendliest" would have been closer to the pollster’s intention.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-30, 10:11

1eyedjack, on 2013-September-29, 01:38, said:

I checked "nice" in the dictionary and it is not that complimentary

The first definition in my dictionary is:

(of a person) pleasant in manner; good-natured; kind

Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, but over here it's a compliment, although somewhat trite (and sometimes used sarcastically).

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-September-30, 10:53

barmar, on 2013-September-30, 10:11, said:

The first definition in my dictionary is:

Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, but over here it's a compliment, although somewhat trite (and sometimes used sarcastically).

Heh, I was just stirring it up for a bit of fun. Your definition is also listed in my dictionary and common usage in Britain is pretty much the same. It is one of those rare words with alternative definitions which appear completely opposed to one another, the usage evolving for no discernable reason, something like "gay".

I do recall at school that the English teacher would mark down anyone who used the word, in pretty much any context.

Oddly, not that long ago I saw a rare televised interview of the late Patrick O'Brian, in which he described someone as being "a bit nice", using its original context, which sounded odd to the ear. But then, in his mind he was very much centred in the 19th century.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users