BBO Discussion Forums: The Problem with Religious Moderation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Problem with Religious Moderation From Sam Harris

#781 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 14:00

View PostArtK78, on 2014-March-25, 11:13, said:

Ken:

My experience is different than yours.

When I was in second grade, my family moved from Woodbury, NJ, to Cherry Hill, NJ. Until we moved, I was the only Jewish kid in my entire elementary school. And I am talking about public school. We had prayer in the school every morning, and Christmas carols and Santa Claus in December. My mother did make it clear to my teachers and the Principal that we were Jewish and we did not believe in any of that "stuff." The result was, as a 5 year old, I had to explain to all of my classmates about Hanukkah. It didn't matter that I really didn't know much about Hanukkah - I was Jewish and I had to do that. Sort of like Kyle in South Park.

We moved to Cherry Hill in late February 1964 - when I was in second grade. Cherry Hill was a much more affluent community that was about 25-35% Jewish. Needless to say, my environment changed dramatically.

Interestingly, Woodbury continued to have prayer in its public schools until the last 10 years or so. Supreme Court - who cares?

Interesting. I'm trying to think of details. One that seemed odd at the time had to do with summer camp. Stan, who was Jewish, went to the YMCA camp rather than the Boy Sout Camp. Those were the two options then. I asked him about this because of the C in YMCA. Apparently the Y was more welcoming than the Scouts. Now I think it is officially the Y. Certainly the M part is gone, more women than men in the gym. And we no longer swim in the nude.

My wife tells me that I can be remarkably oblivious, so maybe you should not take my thoughts on this too seriously. I think "oblivious" is an underrated personality trait, but it sometimes does lead to thinking things are, or were, better than they are/were.

No doubt though that Christmas was the dominant holiday. As a kid in a Protestant family, it never crossed my mind that this might be a difficult issue in other families. I can well imagine we did carols at school. This is tricky. I like the music. With good will, good intentions, and some good sense, I think we can keep the music from all faiths w/o theological oppression.

And were there prayers at things like school assemblies? Yes, I think so. Certainly at high school graduation. By then I was well into my rejection of religion and I just suffered through it. We all had had a lot of practice at not listening to adults.

Bottom line, I may have overstated the lack of religious interaction in schools at least when we think of large events. In day to day life, I don't think it was much present. Lurking somewhere maybe, like a prowler. Or the NSA.
Ken

#782 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 15:43

To be fair Christmas is a national holiday. Now if you want to just get rid of all of them ok, but that is perhaps another thread.

#783 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-25, 17:20

View PostArtK78, on 2014-March-25, 13:20, said:

Woodbury didn't care about the holdings of the Supreme Court. It fought to keep prayer in the schools into the 21st Century. I believe Woodbury finally gave up, as it kept losing and it was costing a lot of money to fight a losing fight.

Incredible that they thought that spending money on that was more important than spending it on educating the children.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#784 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-25, 17:26

Anyway, this topic of prayer and religion in schools is boring. I had hoped that when the LHC business got tapped out 325 would move on to crop circles, or depictions of UFOs in Medieval paintings, or the "moon landing".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#785 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-25, 19:59

View Post32519, on 2014-March-24, 23:34, said:

Now you guys from the Bible belt, start mobilizing your own counter protest action to get all these unproven theories removed from the school curriculum as well.
Deductive proof belongs to the realms of Logic, Philosophy, and Mathematics. Science proper relies on induction from observation and experiment. Hence the strength and weakness of a scientific theory is that it accords with known reality but is refutable by a single confirmed exception. Most of us are certain of nothing. For certainty, we may well have to fall back on blind Faith and Religion.

#786 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-25, 21:20

View Postnige1, on 2014-March-25, 19:59, said:

Deductive proof belongs to the realms of Logic, Philosophy, and Mathematics. Science proper relies on induction from observation and experiment. Hence the strength and weakness of a scientific theory is that it accords with known reality but is refutable by a single confirmed exception. Most of us are certain of nothing. For certainty, we may well have to fall back on blind Faith and Religion.

Just to be clear....mathematics is not proper science?

anyway see my numerous posts on this subject several years ago.

#787 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-25, 22:37

View Postmike777, on 2014-March-25, 21:20, said:

Just to be clear....mathematics is not proper science? anyway see my numerous posts on this subject several years ago.
Mathematics: Queen of the Arts and Handmaiden to the Sciences :)

#788 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-25, 22:53

View Postnige1, on 2014-March-25, 22:37, said:

Mathematics: Queen of the Arts and Handmaiden to the Sciences :)

ok mathematics is a handmaiden..got it.

as far as deductive vs inductive and why we care in this discussion.....I bet most forum members forget what the hell the difference. we are old/

#789 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-25, 23:03

View Postgwnn, on 2014-March-25, 03:10, said:

Do you really think Higgs bosons or string theory are taught in high schools? And Bible teaching or study is not banned, mandatory prayer is. You can study the Bible in any religious school, or in any public school as literature. Public schools should not favour one religion over another (although they do all the time).

When I was in high school I would have found a comparative religion course, with readings from say the Bible*, the Quran, the Bhagavad-Gita, and maybe a couple of other things (the Gilgamesh epic? The Tao Te Ching?) interesting. A really enterprising teacher might have brought in a Catholic priest, a Protestant minister, and a Rabbi to give us their view of their respective religions. An Imam too, if one were available (I don't recall hearing anything about Islam in the sixties). I don't think there would have been objections to something like this from parents, but I could be wrong.

* the Catholic version, one of the Protestant versions, and the Jewish version - with an eye towards "what's different, besides the obvious 'only Old Testament' in the Jewish version?"
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#790 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-25, 23:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-25, 23:03, said:

When I was in high school I would have found a comparative religion course, with readings from say the Bible*, the Quran, the Bhagavad-Gita, and maybe a couple of other things (the Gilgamesh epic? The Tao Te Ching?) interesting. A really enterprising teacher might have brought in a Catholic priest, a Protestant minister, and a Rabbi to give us their view of their respective religions. An Imam too, if one were available (I don't recall hearing anything about Islam in the sixties). I don't think there would have been objections to something like this from parents, but I could be wrong.

* the Catholic version, one of the Protestant versions, and the Jewish version - with an eye towards "what's different, besides the obvious 'only Old Testament' in the Jewish version?"

really in Hs?

I went to a silly univ hs and I found nonsense in my summer course. 1970

I found out college teachers can be idiots when in Hs.
Hs can be not so bad..but still idiots.

mbA OF COURSE CAN BE SILLY TEACHERS

#791 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-26, 01:02

So who’s fooling who here? In the first 7 years of schooling (after newcomers have learnt to read, write and count) basic education covers things like elementary maths, elementary history (especially that of your own country), elementary geography, elementary biology, elementary literature (punctuation etc.). In the next 2 years things like accountancy, science, economics, business economics, arts, additional languages etc are introduced. In the last 3 years of schooling the pupils choose those subjects which they have an interest in.

Under U.S. law, religious education is forbidden in public schools, except from a neutral, academic perspective.
My argument was that all this unproven speculative crap should also be forbidden to keep the playing ground even. An easy solution for both sides of the argument is to introduce religion and science fiction as optional subjects for those who have an interest therein to exercise their freedom of choice under the constitution. When I was at school we had so-called “physical exercise classes” which were immensely popular amongst most of the kids. They covered anything from swimming to athletics training, or just a fun game of sport where mixed teams of boys and girls played against each other, whether that was hockey, soccer, netball, baseball etc. These fun games were used for talent spotting as well, for those who never realized they were any good in whatever sport, and were subsequently invited to join formal coaching classes after schooling hours in the relevant sport. To make room for these optional subjects in a 5-day school week should be fairly simple.

So I put to you again – those who have seen through this façade fobbing itself off as physical science should stand up and launch a counter protest campaign to have it forbidden in public schools as well. In what way does the constitution of the USA force you to subject yourself to being taught all sorts of unproven theoretical crap when even those dreaming up these wilder and weirder theories are in disagreement amongst themselves about them!

#792 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-March-26, 01:24

They are not teaching about Higgs bosons in high schools. You are pushing at an open door. Furthermore, science will honestly tell everyone which parts are speculative and to what extent their theories are confirmed by experiments. There is good evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson (certainly much better than God's) but not as conclusive as for the existence of electrons or boron atoms. Religion often wilfully hides or changes contrary evidence and very rarely starts with a disclaimer like many scientific talks ("this is still a work in progress but at the moment it seems like..." "the results are a bit puzzling so we need more data to make sense of it but there is a slight tendency that...").
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#793 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-26, 02:04

View Postgwnn, on 2014-March-26, 01:24, said:

There is good evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson.

Now physicists prepare to construct the even Larger Hadron Collider

Quote:
Barely five years after the Large Hadron Collider began smashing atoms together in a bid to solve the mysteries of the universe, scientists are already planning to replace it with an enormous machine four times as large.

Another quote:
Scientists are also in dispute about which particles should be tested. Some experts favour colliding protons, as is done in the 27km-long LHC, citing the ability to reach far higher energies and extremes of conditions in an attempt to simulate “Big Bang”-style conditions. Others are in favour of using electrons, as they are easier to direct and the results of tests easier to interpret.

Let me put it to you guys yet again – the fact that you are still attempting to simulate “Big Bang”-style conditions must be glaringly obvious that the pressure is building up on you to start producing tangible results. I have posted it higher up in this thread but it needs to be repeated again – THE FLAW IN THE BBT IS GOING TO BRING DOWN THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION AS WELL. THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS 100% DEPENDANT ON THE BBT. WITH NO BBT YOU HAVE NO UNIVERSE. WITH NO UNIVERSE YOU HAVE NO EARTH. WITH NO EARTH YOU HAVE NO THEORY OF EVOLUTION. BYE-BYE TO BOTH!

You guys must be entering panic mode. When the guys in the Bible belt in the USA are successful in their counter protest campaign, banning science fiction from being taught in schools, the pressure on you is going to increase. I bet you a BBO dollar any day that more and more sober minded people are starting to shove the flaw in the BBT back into your faces. Man, how I would just love to witness all your squirming and pathetic counter arguments as you try and face down your adversaries.

The fun is just starting!

#794 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-March-26, 02:35

Yes, your blatant nonsense refuted several times over but now written in caps has convinced me. Maybe you should write a paper in all caps? Have your plots use exclamation marks as data points instead of crosses?
      George Carlin

#795 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-26, 03:37

View Post32519, on 2014-March-26, 02:04, said:

THE FLAW IN THE BBT IS GOING TO BRING DOWN THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION AS WELL. THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS 100% DEPENDANT ON THE BBT. WITH NO BBT YOU HAVE NO UNIVERSE. WITH NO UNIVERSE YOU HAVE NO EARTH. WITH NO EARTH YOU HAVE NO THEORY OF EVOLUTION. BYE-BYE TO BOTH!

And yet, somehow, the theory of evolution predates the Big Bang Theory by a significant margin you sociopathic loon...
Alderaan delenda est

#796 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-26, 03:41

View Post32519, on 2014-March-26, 01:02, said:

In what way does the constitution of the USA force you to subject yourself to being taught all sorts of unproven theoretical crap when even those dreaming up these wilder and weirder theories are in disagreement amongst themselves about them!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Alderaan delenda est

#797 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 04:15

View Post32519, on 2014-March-26, 02:04, said:

WITH NO BBT YOU HAVE NO UNIVERSE. WITH NO UNIVERSE YOU HAVE NO EARTH.

Extraordinary! I thought maybe you had a different idea of the origins of the universe and the earth. But if we accept the statements you have made here then you have just proved the BBT since I think we are all agreed that we do indeed have an earth.

#798 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-March-26, 04:20

This was an entertaining debate BTW: https://www.youtube....h?v=X0qKZqPy9T8 Don't worry if you don't understand some of the cosmology-related jargon, WLC also clearly doesn't :)
      George Carlin

#799 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 04:41

View Postgwnn, on 2014-March-26, 01:24, said:

They are not teaching about Higgs bosons in high schools.

That depends on the school system. I would expect that in many Dutch high schools the discovery of the Higgs boson was discussed extensively.

But the Netherlands, as you may know, has a differentiated school system. All children (except for special school kids with e.g. learning disabilities) go to the same elementary school until they are 12. After that they go to different school types. There are basically 4 school levels:

• Vocational schools, preparing for "hands jobs"
  • Middle general education, preparing for a next vocational school with more white collars (administrative assistants, etc.)
  • Higher general education, preparing for college (elementary school teachers, nurses, small business owners)
  • Preparatory scientific education, the only high school level that gives access to university (called VWO, Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs in Dutch)

I would estimate that about 5-10% of the kids go to this VWO. The remainder is shared about equally between the other three levels.

The VWO takes 6 years. After the first 3 years of general education, the students get to chose a direction (natural sciences, economics/history/geography, languages and literature). In the last two years they have to study Dutch and English but are pretty much free to pick any 5-7 (depending on the exact "subtype of school") subjects from:
- 2 types of Math (you can pick both)
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology
- Macro-economics
- Micro-economics
- Geography
- History
- Latin
- (ancient) Greek
- French
- German
- Frisian (2nd, local language in the Netherlands)
- Spanish
- Chinese

At the end of their VWO career, the students will take a national exam for Dutch, English and the 5-7 subjects that they chose. (It is not automatic to pass. I guess about 15% fails.)

You could imagine that it would be good to discuss the Higgs boson with high school students if the class you are teaching consists of the top 10% of the kids, and from those the 30% that are talented in natural sciences.

In fact, this is a link to the 2013 national exam in Physics for VWO. Look at question 4 on page 10-11.

Obviously, this does not prove the general statement that "the Higgs boson is taught in high school". But it does prove that -in some school systems- some high school students will learn something about the Higgs boson.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#800 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-26, 05:01

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-26, 04:41, said:

I would estimate that about 5-10% of the kids go to this VWO. The remainder is shared about equally between the other three levels.

According to wikipedia, it is 20%. A more authoritative but less readable statistic is available from the CBS (Statistics Netherlands), http://statline.cbs....LNL&PA=80040NED
http://nl.wikipedia....elijk_onderwijs

In addition to those who start VWO directly after primary school, some will upgrade HAVO to VWO. In 2008, 1727 pupils went that way according to CBS (http://www.cbs.nl/NR...ofielsector.xls), but that will be less than 1% of a total year cohort. That the number is so low surprised me, I know lots of Dutch people who have upgraded their HAVO to VWO. One friend even went the whole way upgrading a MAVO to Gymnasium but I suppose that is very unusual.

Of course the number of pupils that complete VWO is lower than this.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users