BBO Discussion Forums: Sanity Check Pls - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Sanity Check Pls Weak 2 is??

Poll: Sanity Check Pls (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate 2S Opening

1. Very Obvious Weak 2 (5 votes [12.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

2. I would Open It 2S But It's Close (4 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

3. I would NOT Open It 2S But It's Close (4 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. 2S Would be a poor bid (19 votes [48.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.72%

5. Why on earth are you even thinking about 2S Here (7 votes [17.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-30, 08:51

w/r MP First Seat

pls rate opening this hand with 2S

I posted something else about this hand on I/A but feel this is definitely NB territory!

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:02

Matter of style. You either open weak twos with a four card major, or you don't. I don't think either way is clearly wrong or right, but I expect you will get some strong opinions.

If you have an understanding (whether explicit or suspected) with your partner of the moment, stick to it. If not, do as you like.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:05

1st seat Green it is not completely off the wall and can obviously be a winner; but there are enough flaws that I would not expect it to be a majority choice and some responses are likely to be considerably stronger. As people keep pointing out, one card difference is never bad, so change the K to 2 or something and it looks a lot better.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:09

To Bill, it is not just that the hand has a 4 card major, it is also the relative strengths of the suits and the overall strength of the hand. All of these aspects indicate away from a 2 opening. KQT954 9432 7 T3 would be a completely different matter entirely.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-30, 09:09, said:

To Bill, it is not just that the hand has a 4 card major, it is also the relative strengths of the suits and the overall strength of the hand. All of these aspects indicate away from a 2 opening. KQT954 9432 7 T3 would be a completely different matter entirely.

I understand, I just worry less about such things white on red (or green as you call it). Maybe it is too careless an attitude.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:24

Would rather open it 1 than 2.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:27

it is matchpoints so playing a partscore in spades when we could make 4 is equally costly, regardless of vulnerability. Same if partner makes a phantom sac against 4.

2 would be more resonable at IMPs but I still wouldn't do it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 15:03

The two outside Kings is more defence than partner is going to expect (although the stiffness of the K tempers somewhat). The suit quality is at *most* what partner will expect. And there's the "want to play in hearts" issue.

All in all, unless I'm forced to open this, I feel it's too misleading to partner. But I'm getting conservative in my old age.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 15:16

This is a very sound 1 or 2 overcall after passing with a chance to introduce hearts instead of gambling a weak 2 and potentially thundering pards good hand.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-01, 06:47

Not my cup of tea to open this hand 2S.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-01, 07:35

I hate 2 on this hand. Too many flaws.

* Too many values outside trumps
* Stiff king
* Poor trump suit that I don't want lead

Any one, maybe even any 2 of those, find, but all 4? Pass.

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-01, 19:51

discipline

#13 User is online   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-October-02, 08:23

In 1st seat, there are 2 opponents to antagonize, but only 1 partner. R/W is license to act. Bid, is my suggestion.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-October-02, 17:47

Pass. 2S = 0
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is online   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-October-03, 22:49

Btw, whether or not this hand is a weak two is completely a matter of style and partnership agreements. The important thing is not which agreement is best but whether or not you adhere to your agreements in the heat of battle. There is no quicker way to ruin partnership trust than to cowboy it up with a unilateral system violation.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-October-05, 20:57

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-30, 09:09, said:

To Bill, it is not just that the hand has a 4 card major, it is also the relative strengths of the suits and the overall strength of the hand.

Considering QT9xxx too weak a suit for a weak 2 (non-vulnerable at that!) is just ultraconservative. And, uh, what's wrong with the overall strength of the hand? I wouldn't open it 1, so it's not too strong, and it's definitely not too weak either.

Oh and uh TylerE, why exactly would a stiff king stop you from opening a weak 2? Does having a stiff king just force you to always pass no matter the rest of your hand or what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-06, 03:22

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-October-05, 20:57, said:

Oh and uh TylerE, why exactly would a stiff king stop you from opening a weak 2? Does having a stiff king just force you to always pass no matter the rest of your hand or what?

Maybe you can tone down your sarcasm a little bit. A stiff king is a very defensive value (my opponents tend not to finesse into it on defense, for one thing), so it's definitely a flaw for opening a preempt.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-06, 03:46

I think it is a long term loser if you have a H fit, and a long term winner if you do not. But i think that (again long term) you stand to lose more if you have a H fit than you stand to gain if you do not. You have to multiply that up by the probability of having a H fit (or not), and the maths is beyond me. But there are some occasions when long term view is irrelevant. Such as approaching the end of an event in which you need a swing. I would open 2S if I feel a need to bid against the room.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-06, 05:28

Considering QT9xxx too weak a suit for a weak 2 (non-vulnerable at that!) is just ultraconservative. And, uh, what's wrong with the overall strength of the hand? I wouldn't open it 1, so it's not too strong, and it's definitely not too weak either.

The trouble is neither the strength of the suit not the strength of the hand, in isolation. The trouble is that 2 of the 9 HCP are in the trump suit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-October-07, 06:31

That may well be the first time anyone suggested my preempting style is conservative - I guess I am getting old. You will note that I never suggested this suit was too weak for a weak 2, indeed my modified hand in post #3 (QT9xxx, J93, K, Txx) contains both the given spade suit and the singleton diamond king. The point is that the strong hearts in combination with the good (for a weak 2) hand make game more likely. An old rule was not to open 2M with a limit raise in the other major. That is too conservative for me but might give you a better idea on where I am coming from. In essence, the strength of the hand is problematic in combination with the shape and the relative strengths of the suits. That the singleton king is a defensive feature and therefore an additional flaw is just the icing on the cake.

But the real emphasis of my first post (#3) was to let eagles know that opening 2M was not ridiculous for some, since I suspect that was the origin of the OP. And the quoted post (#4) was in answer to Bill because he mentioned 4 card majors as if KJ9x in a maximum weak 2 is similar to xxxx in a minimum weak 2 and it seemed to me advisable within the N/B forum to correct that. And given that this is N/B, it was probably a good idea that you made this post because if you were unsure what was meant then for sure some real beginners might have been confused too. So thank you for giving me the chance to clarify.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users