BBO Discussion Forums: Some bidding discussion - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some bidding discussion What do you think about this bid?

#1 User is offline   fweng322 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-29, 05:01

Hi,

In today's another hand, our bidding was like this:
(I sit at South and my partner at North)

N E S W
1N - 2H! - (2H: Jacoby transfer)
2S - 2N (bidding not done yet)

What do you think this 2N mean?

At that hand, my hand was like this:

S Axxxx
H Jxx
D Axxx
C x

9 HCPs with 5 spades only. And the bidding was:

N E S W
1N - 2H! - (2H: Jacoby transfer)
2S - 2N -
3N - - =

And we made 3NT with 24 HCPs only.

We also discussed some bidding after Jacoby transfer.

What do you think this 4S mean if we also use Texas transfer?

1N - 2H -
2S - 4S

4S should not mean to play 4S since if I got a hand like that, I should use 4H to transfer directly.

However, If 4S is a slam interest, what if I use 3S here:

1N - 2H -
2S - 3S

I think that if I have slam interest, I should use 3S to preserve bidding space. We can show control at 4 levels. My partner thinks that 3S should be invitation, and 4S is slam interest.

What do you think?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-September-29, 05:14

In the auction:

1NT - 2
2 - 2NT

2NT shows an invitational to game strength hand with 5 spades.

1NT- 2
2 - 3

shows a hand with invitational to game strength with 6 or more spades.

These are standard definitions that are probably nearly universal.

As for:

1NT- 2
2 - 4

If you play 4 level transfers, then this sequence typically shows a hand with some mild slam interest with 6 or more spades. You would use the 4 level transfer with a hand that wants to play 4 and has no slam interest. You would also use the 4 level transfer on a hand that wants to play in spades and wants to ask for key cards, following up on partner's 4 bid with 4NT.

This last auction has been discussed in a number of threads, and some are critical of the standard definition of "mild slam interest."

#3 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-September-29, 05:23

The common agreements are:

1NT - 2
2 - 2NT

Invitational, 5 spades

--

1NT - 2
2 - 3

Invitational with 6 spades

--

1NT - 4

Texas transfer, to play with no slam interest (or if you continue with 4NT, it's RKCB for spades)

--

1NT - 2
2 - 4

Mild slam interest (invitational to 6) with no shortness (you can splinter with shortness)

--

1NT - 2
2 - 4NT

Quantative invitation to 6NT (or 6) with 5 spades.

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-29, 06:22

2NT shows your invite hand and 5 trumps. A simple transfer at 2 level and follow up with a direct raise to game in your suit generally indicates slam interest and no shortness. A texas transfer SETS trumps after which key card applies.

#5 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 03:09

Using 1nt-2-2-3 to show slam interest is actually not a bad idea... You will have to find another way to bid the invitational hands then (like bidding 3 with those).

Steven

#6 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-September-30, 03:54

You can also keep 1NT - 2 - 2 - 3 as invitational, and play the following with slam interest:

1NT - 3 = slam interest in hearts, balanced hand (otherwise transfer and splinter)
1NT - 3 = slam interest in spades, balanced

Then direct 4/4 by opener is declining the invitation (soft values, bad fit), cheapest cuebid/"Serious 3NT" shows an in-between hand and accepting the transfer at 3 level (3/3) is the strongest response.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 06:20

Others have already answered the OP question so I will follow up on the tangent of alternatives:

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-September-30, 03:54, said:

You can also keep 1NT - 2 - 2 - 3 as invitational, and play the following with slam interest:

1NT - 3 = slam interest in hearts, balanced hand (otherwise transfer and splinter)
1NT - 3 = slam interest in spades, balanced

Then direct 4/4 by opener is declining the invitation (soft values, bad fit), cheapest cuebid/"Serious 3NT" shows an in-between hand and accepting the transfer at 3 level (3/3) is the strongest response.

Somewhat simpler is to play 1NT - 3 as slam interest with hearts and 1NT - 3 as slam interest with spades. You can still play Serious/Frivolous over these if desired. I am not sure that 3 different levels are required for an Opener already reasonably defined by the 1NT bid.

A more complicated solution is to play 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 as showing spades and clubs and 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 as being either spades and diamonds or a one-suited slam hand with spades. This method has the benefit of freeing up the immediate 3 level responses for something else but you have less space when the second suit is clubs.

A similar structure is possible when the major is hearts by giving the 2 rebid multiple meanings (1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = natural 2NT rebid; or hearts and clubs; or one-suited slam hand with hearts). Another common way of playing this 2 rebid is as any invite, typically a natural 2NT rebid or an invitational 3m rebid. Then a 2NT rebid can show clubs, a 3 rebid can show diamonds, and 3 might be used for the slammy one-suiter. The latter is not possible in my structure, since I also have invitational 54 and GF 55 hands channelled through the 2 response and that does not leave enough space.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:46

If you need help understanding these bids in standard methods, you should be posting in the Beginner/Intermedia forum -- these are really basic sequences.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 12:48

View PostArtK78, on 2013-September-29, 05:14, said:

As for:

1NT- 2
2 - 4

The only modification I can add is that we play frequent super accepts of a transfer where the 1nt opener jumps to 3 or bids 2nt with a max. and various 3-4 card spade fits or bids a new suit with 3 spades and a 5-bagger.

That makes the 4 bid here a "sorry you didn't super accept" bid to play. I can't remember a bad score when 3 was too high or getting to the wrong spot when the responder has to bid a new suit (sometimes an advanced cue) instead to invite slam. I'm sure we've had a few but so rare they didn't register.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users