BBO Discussion Forums: The best responses to precision 2C - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The best responses to precision 2C

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-September-17, 17:27

I'm looking at putting together a precision style card with symmetric relays, but I'm not happy with the 2C opening. Assuming that you play it normally 5C4M or 6+C, what are your responses?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-17, 17:59

I've played a couple different schemes after a 2D relay

2H = Clubs and Spades
2S = Clubs and Hearts (at +1)
2N+ = single suited with clubs at +1

and

2H = Clubs and Spades
2S = Single suited with clubs (at +2)
2N+ = Clubs and Hearts

I prefer the second scheme
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 05:04

I play 2 = 4+ hearts; 2 = 4+ spades; 2 = range ask; 2NT = 54 invite; 3 = weak; 3 = weak; 3 = slam try in diamonds; 3 = slam try in clubs. If you want a relay-based structure then Viking Club is one of the best available. Of course you should also look at Meckwell.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 05:20

Meckwell do not include 5C4M so I'm sure it's a lot different

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-September-18, 10:29

2C openings have a lower frequency & you start higher so going for a full relay structure is a dubious proposition.

What I play is design to be able to stop in 2M frequently.

2D many inv or GF with both M
2H inv with 4&5 H (not willing to play 2H if partner has 0-2H)
2S inv with 4&5 S (not willing to play 2S if partner has 0-2S)
2Nt GF with D+M or C preempt
3C GF with C support
rest show single suiters without C fit
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   Hilver 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Besides bridge, cycling and reading

Posted 2012-September-18, 11:36

View Postmr1303, on 2012-September-17, 17:27, said:

I'm looking at putting together a precision style card with symmetric relays, but I'm not happy with the 2C opening. Assuming that you play it normally 5C4M or 6+C, what are your responses?

Go to http://home.tiscali.nl/hilver/2C.pdf if You read some Dutch.

Jan

#7 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-18, 12:21

A nice standard structure, from here, based on Rigal's "Precision in the '90s":

OPENING 2C: promises 11-15 with 6+ clubs or 5+ and a major
Responding- 2D inquiry at least invit.
...2H/S 4 crd major (then 3D stopper ask [rebid major=diam.],jumps spl)
...2NT non-min. bal (3D stopper ask: hd,sd,hs)
...3C min. (3D stopper ask: h,s,d)
...3D 6-4 in minors, non-min. ...3H/S 6-5 in bid suits 3NT solid clubs
2H/S 8-12 5+ suit, invit. NF
2NT relay forces 3C, then...
...pass preempt. raise
...3D GF sing. suiter in diam.
...3H/S/NT GF 2-suiter in hs/sd/dh (suit bid and next one)
3C real invit.
3D/H/S GF natural 3NT to play 4D/H/S splinters 4NT RKC for clubs

You can of course relay over some (but not all) of the rebids after 2C-2D if you like.

You can also use the Fantunes response structure or something like it (their 2C is pretty similar: unbal 5+, 10-13, no 5422), see here (search for "2C Opening"). Theirs is a bit better at finding 5-3 major suit fits. Basically, 2C-2D;2M is 3+ cards, and they find out about 4 card majors with further relays.

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-18, 13:01

http://www.bridgebas...m-for-students/

In this thread is a Meckwell inspired follow-up structure to 2C (6+ clubs) from a few years ago.
Chris Gibson

#9 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 14:58

If you intend to use symmetric relay, it will work a lot better if there are no four card majors in the 2 opening. But if there are, and you also want to be able to relay, you will need a very specific structure of continuations (if one exists at all) to enable efficient relays on the GF hands and also be able to stop in playable part scores on the non-GF hands.

#10 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-September-21, 22:19

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-September-18, 13:01, said:

http://www.bridgebas...m-for-students/

In this thread is a Meckwell inspired follow-up structure to 2C (6+ clubs) from a few years ago.

A good approach Chris.

I've been playing this one with some success (2 promises 6 (5 in 3rd seat)):
2/ 8-10 5+ cards. Partner may raise to 3 w/4-card raise maximum.
2N = 11-12 Balanced. Might have 4-card major. Opener passes, bid 3-clubs with distributional minimum or bids 4-card major (GF).
2 11+ HCP query, but NOT 11-12 balanced.
......2//3 = 4-cards suit
......2N = 2 side suits stopped
......3 = 1 suid suit stopped
......3 = max unbalnced (never open 2 with 5=6 in minors).
......3/ = min 5=6
......3N = Max balanced
......4/ = max 5=6
3/4/5/6/7 to play
3 = 5s & 4+s invitational
3 = 6 GF
3 = 6 GF
3N plays
4 Redwood
4/ Plays

Here's a more esoteric approach:

2 (11-15 HCP) 6+ , denies 5 Card Side Suit.
........2r / Double / Redouble - 11+ Asking
.............[11-13]: 2o no Major; 2No – 4 Hearts; 3- 4 Spades]
.............[13-15]: 2o Bal or 4-Card Major; 2r Asks:
..................2No=4 Hearts; 3o=4 Spades; 3o=2236; 3o=2326; 3o=3226; 3 No=2227]]
.............[13-15]: 3 3/2=3/2=1=6/7; 3 3/2=1=3/2=6/7; 3 1=3/2=3/2=6/7; 3N 233=6
........2r / 2r 8-10 5+ Cards Constructive Non Forcing
........2Nr 10-11 Constructive
........3/4/5r Plays
........3r / 3r /3r - Good Suit 11-12 Invitational Non-Forcing
........4r RKB Clubs
........4r /4r Plays
........4N Beta Ask (Top Controls A+2, K=1) w/implied preference for NT.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#11 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-23, 15:44

I like this base:

2C
2D relay, inv+
2M natural, forcing
2NT forcing, invitational without major or GF with diamonds
3C Natural, 6-9
3X Natural, GF
4C Preemptive
4D Void
4M To play

2C-2D;
2H 5C and any 4-card major
2S 6+C, one-suiter with a shortness
2NT 6+C, one-suiter without shortness
3C 6+C, any side suit, minimum
3X 6+C, 4-card suit, maximum

It leaves lot of maneuvering afer 2C-2D. The "bad" thing is that you have to pass 2C unless you have some values.

#12 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-26, 23:54

My experience with this opening (popular/standard in Poland) is that it's important to have non-forcing 2M bid. I don't think rest of agreements matter much. I like: 2N = natural invite; 3C = natural non-invite and 3X natural GF (or 3X being transfers to X+1 invite+ ala Meckwell).

......2N = 2 side suits stopped
......3♣ = 1 suid suit stopped

I don't like it. I think it's more useful to have one of the:
a)shortness/no shortness
b)minimum/maximum

as often played in Poland.
Many people like putting various hand types (including double suited GF's) into 2NT puppet to 3C. I think it's playable but doesn't come up too often and natural 2NT is very useful, especially at matchpoints. Those 5-4's are big part of opener's range.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-27, 03:59

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-September-26, 23:54, said:

My experience with this opening (popular/standard in Poland) is that it's important to have non-forcing 2M bid.

What were the main drawbacks against 2red as transfers in your experience, blue?

#14 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-27, 06:32

I haven't played nor heard of that before ;-) I was referring to 2M forcing idea as being inferior

#15 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-September-27, 17:59

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-September-27, 03:59, said:

What were the main drawbacks against 2red as transfers in your experience, blue?

I have played 2 and 2 as conditional transfers for over 3 years now (in response to a Precision 2 opener).

The 2 opener accepts the transfer with xx or better in the suit indicated by the transfer.
Opener with 0-1 cards of the suit shown by the transfer bids 2NT if maximum or 3 if minimum.

Responder with invitational hands or better knows what to do after hearing the opener's response to the transfer.

Downside: With both partners minimum and no fit, you might get too high, 3. Thus, opener might want to have a good suit for the 2 opener.

It is unclear if this is an ACBL GCC allowable treatment / convention.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-28, 02:23

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-September-27, 17:59, said:

The 2 opener accepts the transfer with xx or better in the suit indicated by the transfer.
Opener with 0-1 cards of the suit shown by the transfer bids 2NT if maximum or 3 if minimum.

Responder with invitational hands or better knows what to do after hearing the opener's response to the transfer.

Downside: With both partners minimum and no fit, you might get too high, 3. Thus, opener might want to have a good suit for the 2 opener.

It is better to reverse this so that Opener bids the transfer suit without a fit and higher bids show (various levels of) fit. For example, over 2 - 2 I play 2 = 0-2 hearts; 2 = 3 hearts, 4 spades; 2NT = 3 hearts, 0-2 spades, min; 3 = 3 hearts, 0-2 spades, max; 3 = 4 hearts, min; 3 = 4 hearts, max. This provides somewhat more protection when Responder has a weaker hand and has to play at the 3 level. A similar structure is used after 2 except that it is not necessary to show anything about hearts (since with 54 the response is 2 (if game-forcing values) or 2NT (invite)) and therefore 3 is an undefined rebid for Opener.

#17 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-28, 02:32

How do you guys find 4-4/4-3 major partials playing those transfers ?
I mean, hands like 3-4-5-1/4-4-4-1 etc come up all the time and this is important (at matchpoints especially) to be able to run from 2C.

It is better to reverse this so that Opener bids the transfer suit without a fit and higher bids show (various levels of) fit.

You won't be able to play in 2M then with 5 cards. Seems like big loss. I am again talking from matchpoint perspective. What we often done here is to play 2M as non forcing but partner don't pass with 0-1 in that suit nor with support (usually), making 2M bids non-forcing but wide ranging. 2C is awful opening when it comes to partials and it seems the methods you propose cripple it even more (I am talking matchpoints wise).

#18 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-September-28, 10:30

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-September-28, 02:32, said:

How do you guys find 4-4/4-3 major partials playing those transfers ?
I mean, hands like 3-4-5-1/4-4-4-1 etc come up all the time and this is important (at matchpoints especially) to be able to run from 2C.

We don't have the 4-4 major problem because we do not open 2 with a side 4-cd major.

However, Reese first proposed the transfer in Precision Bidding and Precision Play, 1981, ISBN 0-346-12501-4 (Paperback), Simon & Schuster, NY, Cornerstone Library:

"2: Transfer to 2. Responder uses this bid freely when he has four hearts or more. Opener with a singleton heart and good clubs may spurn the transfer and bid 3. With a doubleton heart he will normally bid simply 2; responder who has only four hearts will then bid 2NT or advance in some other way. With three hearts and fair values opener will make a forward more of some kind. With four hearts opener will jump to 3."
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#19 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-28, 10:35

The non-forcing 2M response comes under the category of bids I don't really understand. I tried playing this for quite some time and it never seemed to work very well.

It falls under the common category of a non-forcing call which is not tightly limited in terms of strength and shape, and which could be up to "just short of GF values." The problem with these calls is that while they are technically non-forcing, partner can very rarely pass and even when he does there is some chance of being in the wrong strain or missing a game. I find that generally it's better to use forcing bids in these situations. To give some examples, after 2-2:

Kxx
AJxx
x
Kxxxx

Non-descript minimum, I suppose you pass? But partner could hold AQxxxx Kx xxx xx and game has great chances? Seems like you must raise with 3-card support.

Kx
Ax
xxx
AKxxxx

Max with doubleton support; again you cannot pass since partner could hold the hand given above where game is cold. Even if partner has one less spade and one more diamond you have pretty good odds for 3NT.

Okay, so you have to bid with 3+ support and you have to bid with doubleton and a max. You also have to bid with singleton or void because 5-1 (5-0?) fits when you have half the values don't generally score well. So I guess the only time you can pass is with doubleton support and a minimum?

xx
x
Axxx
AQxxxx

Not too likely to miss game this way, but what if partner has Kxxxx xxx Kx Kxx? Wouldn't you rather be in 3 (which is basically cold)? Or what if partner happens to hold Axxxx xxx KQJxx? Now you missed a pretty good 5 game. Or what if partner has AQxxxxx xxx Kx x? Even when opener has the "perfect hand to pass" with doubleton support and a min, you can land in the wrong partial or miss a game.

Playing 2M forcing is great for coping with hands having "two places to play" (like a 5M and secondary club fit, or a 5/5 invite) or with hands having a very long single suit, and also helps on some GF auctions where 2 relay doesn't necessarily shine (like hands where a side stopper is a big issue). Losing the ability to play 2M when opener has exactly doubleton and a min seems like a small loss (and sometimes not even a loss, see the example above).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#20 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-28, 10:52

Adam those are generally not likely hands. I don't see a single example where partner has length or strength in your short suit, so the opponents are making something in pretty much all of them.

The 3415 hand is a completely clear raise to me.

The 5350 10 count opposite a minimum gets you to 2 when the "field" is in 2 so you are already ahead of the game generally opposite that shape reaching a 5-2 instead of a 6-0.

With Kxxxx xxx Kx Kxx I think partner should raise clubs not bid 2, but in your example the opponents make 3 easily anyway.

You are oversimplifying to say partner should not pass with a "max with a doubleton". He should not pass with "a super max and doubleton honor" perhaps, but like xx KJx Kx AKxxxx is an easy pass where you are unlikely to miss anything. Definitely any hand with xx of spades should pass short of having either very wild shape (2506?) or long solid clubs thinking it might make 3NT.

Pretty much partner would pass most of the time (90%?) with a doubleton or a singleton honor, and maybe a very bad hand with 3 (xxx Qx Kx KQJxxx). That's a lot more mileage than you are describing.

Even in your examples, if you are playing 2 forcing what do you want opener to do? Take Kx xx Axx AKxxxx, does he bid 3 on both a min and a max, or go above 3 when responder could have those bad 5323 example hands? What about the 2146 10 count, how can he afford to bid above 3 anyway? Or you are thinking responder will bid 3 over 3? That's really bad if opener has to go back to either 3 or 4, and responder sounds like a stronger hand then anyway.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users