Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leading thru dummy's AJx

#1 User is offline   LukeG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-June-23, 06:41

Assume that you are on opening lead and have won the first trick, and that it's now obvious to shift to a suit in which dummy has AJx. My actual holding in that suit was 1076 and I shifted to the 7. I always thought that:

(1) leading a low spot shows the Queen, so that partner can play the 10 from K10x

(2) leading a high spot denies the Queen

(3) leading the 10 shows either 109, so that partner with KQ can continue if declarer covers with the Jack, or possibly Q10 to guard against declarer's 9xx.

On the actual hand my partner had KQ9, declarer ducked, partner won the Queen but failed to erase a squeeze menace against himself in another suit so we ended up taking only one trick in the suit. He said that my leading the 10 would have made it easier on him, which in retrospect was true :)
Luke Gillespie

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-June-23, 10:17

Hi Luke,

this time it had been easier for pd. Does that proove anthing? NO.

If you lead early in the hand a ten and have no special rules, you either have the ten singelton, doubelton or you have the 9 too.
So maybe pd will misdefend due to your "informations" when you lead the ten..

Of course, sometimes their are situations in which you have to lie and play a "technical" card.
But without the whole hands and the bidding, it is no way to see, if the situation was right for this.

And obviously, you play strictly 2./4. If you play 2./4. attitude, you would prefer to lead a low card to show an honour, not just the queen, any honour.

But even then: The difference between a 6 and a 7 is not too big and maybe pd cannot see it.

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   lifemonster 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-June-23, 11:51

Hi Luke,
I think it depends upon the full hand. Unfortunately we don't have much infomation here. Under some emergency circumstances, eg, if it's the last time you are on lead, or you can spot a surrounding play, leading 10 is technically the correct play.

So the question is, is it the last time you would be on lead? Alternatively speaking, you still have a possible side defensive entry but due to the timing you need to develop tricks in a hurry in this suit. Is that the case here?

Regards

Sam

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users