BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding Ok? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding Ok? 3S bid

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-12, 06:53

my question here is about my 3 spade bid: I thought it was purely asking for a spade stop to bid NT, another player on the table (not my partner) lectured me afterwards on how I should have something in spades myself to make the bid, i.e. Jxx

the hand was a disaster when p bid 3N with singleton K of spades and A was lead = 6 tricks from the top lost!

comments welcome about the X as well of course although I think that's kinda clear?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 06:59

the opp was talking out of his arse. 3s just asks for a stop.

as for the double, i wouldn't do it because i might be rogered later by partner supporting hearts. i would just bid 2c.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:02

Partner trying 3NT with a singleton king is reasonable, a stopper is just as strong as it sounds ...

Wank put it well but maybe you should have made a slam try.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:24

What your opponent told you is a common agreement in the Acol club. I have no idea where it comes from but my partner played it with all of her partners there before she and I teamed up. On the other hand your double is somewhat unusual - more normal would be to have 4+ hearts for this call. Within an Acol context I would have responded 2.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:30

hmmm yes I thought DBL was so clear at the time I think it was just because I had a strong hand... but yes 2 clubs much better I see that now.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users