• Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:25

You hold the hand below as dealer:-

AKx
AQx
KJx
Jxxx

You are playing SAYC 15-17 NT 5 card majors,red suit transfers.
What is your bid if a)non vul b) vul?
and if playing a)teams b) MP pairs?

(I actually held this hand in an event)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:31

1C. All forms. Intending to bid 2NT (18-19) on my next go. If p raises that to 4NT I pass.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:39

View Postmr1303, on 2013-September-13, 08:31, said:

1C. All forms. Intending to bid 2NT (18-19) on my next go. If p raises that to 4NT I pass.

Agree. Although I would not begrudge a partner who downgraded into a 1NT opener for the 4333 shape and dubious J.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:43

1 club followed by 2N seems clear playing 15/17 NT?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-September-13, 09:00

View Postmr1303, on 2013-September-13, 08:31, said:

Yes, exactly. I'd not downgrade this as it isn't bad enough and I don't care that K&R says it is worth 16.25 pts as K&R doesn't like balanced hands very much.

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-13, 10:16

1C. I don't consider this close to a downgrade.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-September-13, 10:31

Looks OK for 1C to me, it's a hand with 6 controls. If I need a swing at MPs, I might open 1NT though.

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 10:48

1 Never downgrade to 1N.

#9 User is offline   stevenagy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-13, 11:09

I really hate 4333, and will deduct a full point from evaluating hands with that shape, so 1NT for me. Maybe make a few of those xs to Ts, especially in clubs, and I'll bump it back up, though.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 12:50

I have been opening these hands 1N in robot tourneys. Seems to work quite well
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 13:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-September-13, 12:50, said:

I have been opening these hands 1N in robot tourneys. Seems to work quite well

I also routinely open the "wrong" minor in robot tourneys, but I don't advocate it at the table :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-September-13, 13:43

View Postwyman, on 2013-September-13, 13:12, said:

I also routinely open the "wrong" minor in robot tourneys, but I don't advocate it at the table :)

I think that there is a difference.

Opening the wrong minor works quite well because it deceives, in an environment where there is no scope for implicit agreements.

I find that opening 1N works quite well on these hands because it gets me into the right contract more often.

There may be a small element of gain by the opponents not expecting you to have an 18th point, but my gut feel is that this is the lesser effect.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#13 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 16:09

Well it was a little tongue-in-cheek.

But I'd also argue that there is some similarity. basically, gib is bad, and taking decision-making away from gib is a good thing. Gib can bid over 1n way better (and opps are shut out more) than it can over 1c (or 1c-2n) -- especially if opps come in. With a regular partner, I don't fear the nonsense that gib perpetrates.

Edit: my point is just that it doesn't surprise me that starting w 1n produces good results w gib, and I don't think that's strong evidence that downgrading this hand is sound in general.

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 17:25

Bad shape - check.

Terrible intermediates - check.

Weak longest suit - check.

Overrated by sims - check.

1NT.

(Caveat - don't downgrade if both opponents are weak or if you have a big lead).

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-September-13, 17:42

While I sometimes downgrade, I would never downgrade this hand.

For those arguing that 4333 is a poor shape, I agree but remember we are discussing a balanced hand here: 4333 is a common shape for notrump bidding. Are we seriously suggesting that we downgrade routine 15 counts to 14 just because they are 4333? Are you disclosing this on your CC?

To me, one considers downgrading when:

1. we have short suit honours: KQ tight is terrible, QJ tight is worse
2. we have a disproportionate number of Q's and J's and relatively few Aces and Kings (controls)
3. there are no reasons to feel good about the hand, countering the bad things

Here, we have MORE controls than average for an 18 count hand, not fewer. We have no horrible short suit holdings. In short, the news isn't all bad, and we should reserve downgrading for the small minority of hands on which there is nothing but bad news.

I see this as a no-brainer 1 then 2N, and would consider any other approach to be an attempt to play against the field and, more importantly, against the odds.

I remember the first time I studied Meckwell's WBF methods....I paraphrase (this was in 1999 after all): 'Frequent upgrades, rare downgrades'.

Now few of us have their judgment or skill but I commend this as a healthy attitude at the table.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 17:47

I read this and see a surprising amount of people opening one club, a bid I would not usually make with this type of hand. This hand seems like a perfect 1NT hand for many reasons as in PhilKing's post. Am I missing something? Why are you guys bidding one club? Please explain- thanks!
Suleiman
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2013-September-23, 18:01

Because I don't open 15-17 NTs when I have 18 high.

Okay, KQJ QJ85 AJ AJ43 maybe. Maybe.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 18:52

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Suleiman
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-September-23, 21:40

View Postmycroft, on 2013-September-23, 18:01, said:

Because I don't open 15-17 NTs when I have 18 high.

Okay, KQJ QJ85 AJ AJ43 maybe. Maybe.

Wow. With 19 high?

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-24, 04:21

I can live with either opener, more likely to open 1N at pairs.

As an aside, I hate having to rebid 2N on these hands, playing a weak no trump and wide range 1N rebid as I do, I like being able to open 1 and rebid 1N.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users