BBO Discussion Forums: Plan the play - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Plan the play

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-23, 05:54

W leads a diamond from Qxxx, they cash 4 diamonds, W switches to 6 (top of doubleton, second from 3 or more small cards), plan the play.

This is an innocent little hand but there is one thing you should not do which is what our declarer did.

A/E please spoiler your answers until some beginners have had a go.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-23, 06:16

What I would do is win the spade and cash a second spade to try and see if west started with a doubleton or 3 +. After that I'm struggling to see how its any more than a guess on the clubs. I guess if spades are west 2 east 5 then west is more likely to have the Q club so probably finesse that way but if it's (34) then it seems like a guess? another think i would probably do is if West showed 3 or more is then cash a third spade incase its now west 5 east 2 to play east now for CQ although that obviously requires West to have x6789 of spades which is quite a long shot :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 06:53

Spoiler

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 17:43

Sorry if I sound like I have never used a computer before- how do I spoiler my answer? ;) Cannot seem to figure it out- new to the site.
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 21:36

View Postsuleiman22, on 2013-September-23, 17:43, said:

Sorry if I sound like I have never used a computer before- how do I spoiler my answer? ;) Cannot seem to figure it out- new to the site.

No worries. It is not obvious. One way to find out how is by drafting (without posting) a reply to a specific post which does already contain a spoiler. You do that not by clicking on the quick reply button, nor the main reply button at the foot of the screen. But each individual post has a reply button in the bottom right corner of the post. Click on that and it opens up a draft reply window that already contains within it the earlier selected post including encoded formatting such as spoiler settings. This exercise shows that to include a spoiler you add the word "Spoiler" at the beginning and "/Spoiler" at the end but substitute square brackets where I have just used double quote marks.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-24, 04:24

View Postsuleiman22, on 2013-September-23, 17:43, said:

Easiest way, type in the text you want to spoiler, highlight it, go to the pulldown menu under "other styles" select spoiler. Or just select spoiler from that menu before typing your text which will give you the start/end tags and type your stuff between them.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-30, 03:51

As nobody else is commenting after 1eyedjack gave that very comprehensive answer, I'll explain what I was getting at (which they covered).

There is the potential for a "The operation was a success but the patient died" situation. If you decide E has Q, you should not cross to A then lead towards the J, but should cross in a side suit and run the 10. Why ? well it doesn't matter if they're 3-2, but if they're 4-1 playing the A first caters for W's singleton being the Q, running the 10 caters for any of the 4 small singletons so is much more likely to succeed.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users