Posted 2013-September-09, 08:02

Matchpoints:

Lead is 9 of Hearts, how best to play?

Spoiler

The full hand:

Spoiler

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-10, 01:56

First of all, even if North does have a singleton heart, that would also make it quite probable that he has 3 or more trumps, and thus any ruff would cost him a trump trick. So there's really no reason to be scared of a ruff and at matchpoints then absolutely mandatory to play the Q on trick one.

Secondly, if you're playing for the K in South, you might as well run the J, there is not much to be gained by overtaking with the Q.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-11, 04:51

Thanks mgoetze very useful. I can see that I should play QH at trick one that does make sense now. The reason I played Diamonds that way is because I thought I had a heart loser, a spade loser and 2 club losers so if I played the J even if it held the trick how would I play Diamonds for no losers with only trumps as entry to hand.

J diamond low low low
spade to the ace
ace diamond
diamond ruff
then how do i get rid of the last losing diamond? ruff a Heart high? that could then give defense an extra spade trick if they have say QJx in north?

whereas if I overtake J with Q i don't have that problem if the K is with south?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users