• You cannot reply to this topic

I need help i hope is possible open with 11 p.o and bid after 1nt

#1 User is offline   deep 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-12, 04:46

5° major diamond 4°

1° Question

Better to open 1 with 11 P.O. following the rule of 15 for 4° hand or not because the spades are not honored, too many losers and we are vulnerable and in duplicate imp?

2° question

what is better bid for South? 2S or better pass because duplicated imp and vulnerable N/S?
Sistem play landy in 2° or 4° posizion

Ty at all for help me :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 04:50

Hand 1: I open. We have good defensive values outside our suits, can pass most anything partner bids with a positive EV, can bid 1 over 1.

Hand 2: what strength is their 1NT? What will partner have to bid? I'm tempted to pass even though we risk an unfavourable lead, because bidding seems unlikely to gain much (we might turn +50 into +110, for example, or -120 into -200: and we can't tell).

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:30

View Postdeep, on 2013-September-12, 04:46, said:

5° major diamond 4°

1° Question

Better to open 1 with 11 P.O. following the rule of 15 for 4° hand or not because the spades are not honored, too many losers and we are vulnerable and in duplicate imp?

2° question

what is better bid for South? 2S or better pass because duplicated imp and vulnerable N/S?

Hand 1 Open 1 club. As partner has already passed,any change of suit response by him is no longer forcing. Game is out of the question so now the quest is on to find the best part score at the lowest level possible. Opening the cheapest suit will facilitate this.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:41

View Postdeep, on 2013-September-12, 04:46, said:

5° major diamond 4°

1° Question

I would open 1 Since partner has already passed,any change of suit by him is no longer forcing. Game is out of the question
so now the task is to find the best part score at the lowest level possible. Bidding the cheapest suit will facilitate this.
2° question

I would bid 2on the South hand partly to be competitive,partly to suggest a lead to partner if opps should buy the
the hand.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   deep 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:24

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-September-12, 04:50, said:

Hand 1: I open. We have good defensive values outside our suits, can pass most anything partner bids with a positive EV, can bid 1 over 1.

Hand 2: what strength is their 1NT? What will partner have to bid? I'm tempted to pass even though we risk an unfavourable lead, because bidding seems unlikely to gain much (we might turn +50 into +110, for example, or -120 into -200: and we can't tell).

1nt is open with 15 17 PO

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:59

1. 1, fold your cards and put them in your pocket. My partner only responds 1 here at matchpoints as an extreme last resort.

2. 2 Not without risk but worth it. It will play well knowing where the opponents points are or will set the defence, usually when they remove to a suit contract and defending 1nt on a non spade lead could blow several tricks on a bad day. Partner has a smattering of values and you go plus or take a smaller minus with high frequency.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 09:14

Hand 1: Pass. With only 11 HCPs and the Q of questionable worth, I see no reason to risk it.

Hand 2: I hope you're playing some system that lets you show two-suited hands. In some systems 2 shows spades and a minor. In Los Angeles that's often called "Hamilton" but it has another name in other places that I never remember.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 09:40

View PostVM1973, on 2013-September-12, 09:14, said:

In Los Angeles that's often called "Hamilton" but it has another name in other places that I never remember.

Pottage, Cappelletti and Multi-Landy are all names of (almost identical) defences that include this (and there are others too).
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 13:28

Hand 1: Who your opponent's are (and partner) is much more important than what hand you actually hold. If the opponents are aggressive young players with not much experience passing is a crime, but if the opponents are rock-solid former world champions you should obviously pass.

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-12, 14:41

I pass on hand 1. If I open, I might well have to choose a call after partner responds 1. I am not taking two bids on two Jack high suits and an 15 count. Perhaps that pass would work out, perhaps not. Or it might go 1-(1)-X. Yuk.

Someone once suggested to me the following variant on the 15 rule: If it's a hand that you would open in first seat but it fails the rule of 15, pass it. If it is a hand that you would not open in first seat and it passes the 15 rule, you still pass it. So, in 4th seat with a balanced hand, you open a hand that you would open in first seat and that passes the rule of 15. This seems right to me. If it isn't an opening hand, why open it in 4th seat?

As for hand 2, I would not consider coming in with it when vul. If I were nv, I would at least think about it.

I reluctantly agree with Fluffy that it matters who the opponents are, but i try to keep that thinking to a last resort minimum.
Ken

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-12, 15:08

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-September-12, 08:59, said:

My partner only responds 1 here at matchpoints as an extreme last resort.

Is he playing with your partner? ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-12, 17:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-12, 15:08, said:

Is he playing with your partner? ;)

Sorry, Ed. But if we don't know tendencies of the partner in the OP, we answer in the context of our own partner. I think that viewpoint is helpful on a discussion board for those who have partners similar to ours.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-13, 09:13

View PostVM1973, on 2013-September-12, 09:14, said:

In some systems 2 shows spades and a minor. In Los Angeles that's often called "Hamilton" but it has another name in other places that I never remember.

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-12, 09:40, said:

Pottage, Cappelletti and Multi-Landy are all names of (almost identical) defences that include this (and there are others too).

Cappelletti, Hamilton, Helms, and I think Pottage all refer to the same convention, independently devised by each of these four experts. Modified Cappelletti and Helms II are also the same convention (but different from Cappelletti or Helms, of course). AFAIK, there is no analog by anyone else to Hello, which is "Helms III" if you will.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-13, 09:36

I knew this apart from Helms, which I have never heard of. I included the "(almost identical)" in the post to account for Multi-Landy. I was wanting to avoid getting into too much convention detail (for a change).
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 09:42

For hand 1 the knr is 8.75. I was guessing 9.5.

http://www.jeff-gold...872+AK7+Q4+J983

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-13, 16:11

View Poststraube, on 2013-September-13, 09:42, said:

For hand 1 the knr is 8.75. I was guessing 9.5.

http://www.jeff-gold...872+AK7+Q4+J983

I know little about the ins and outs of knr. Does this mean that a follower of this approach would choose pass?
I voted pass on just general yuk grounds. For better or worse, most of my bridge decisions, and a fair number of other decisions, get made that way.
I am always interested in the more technical approaches, just not so interested that I learn them./
Ken

#17 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 18:35

1. Pass- anything else just lets opponents in with otherwise unsuitable hands- opponents will thank you for the plus. Most values all outside length- bad news- nothing working to full strength.
2. Pass- doubletons are overvalued in standard evaluation especially with the long suit.

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-14, 12:51

I think pass on 1 is clear for me. Contrary to other comments I don’t fancy my defensive potential. I have amassed a fair amount of experience playing `best hand South’ robot tourneys. It seems that too often when I open with bal 11 the par spot is a partscore making by opps who have distributional hands too weak to open.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users