• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brighton 4 (EBU) Four club rebid

#21 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-06, 07:24

View Postc_corgi, on 2013-September-06, 07:20, said:

I am not sure that anyone has claimed 4C is an LA. Personally I am not sure that it is. But I do think Pass was suggested over 4C by the UI.

Isn't the chosen action a logical alternative by definition? I'm sure someone on this forum provided case law or a rules committee clarification to that effect.

#22 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-06, 07:38

View Postsfi, on 2013-September-06, 07:24, said:

Isn't the chosen action a logical alternative by definition? I'm sure someone on this forum provided case law or a rules committee clarification to that effect.

Probably. But in deciding whether the UI makes it obligatory to bid 4C we must determine whether it would be an LA if it had not been chosen. For instance in the hypothetical case of 3D+1 being the table result. I should have said "I am not sure that anyone has claimed 4C would have been an LA if it had not been chosen at the table."

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 07:40

View Postsfi, on 2013-September-06, 07:24, said:

Yes, there's a WBFLC minute that says that. This may mean that 4 is an LA in the case in the original post, but not in the scenario where West passes out 3.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 07:48

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-06, 07:22, said:

I agree it's not a necessary corollary, but the arguments do seem to be saying that the hesitation suggests defending. Is nothing really suggested, or is it perhaps an example of a "non-demonstrable" suggestion?

To me it's unclear - I would have to be at the table to read what partner was thinking. As a committee member I would be leaning towards a slight suggestion of wanting to bid 4C (despite my earlier questioning of what the hesitation shows). But it's pretty hard to construct a hand that would be genuinely conflicted about either doubling or bid 4C in this auction. I have no idea what this particular East was thinking about - maybe wondering if 2C was Stayman?

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 08:58

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-06, 06:46, said:

There's a fair body of opinion here saying that pass and 4 are logical alternatives for West, but that bidding 4 is not suggested over pass because East is more likely to have been thinking of making a penalty double than competing further in clubs.

I'm not sure I buy this argument. The law says "could demonstrably have been suggested", not "is suggested". Nor does the law distinguish possible LAs by likelihood.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 10:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-06, 08:58, said:

I'm not sure I buy this argument. The law says "could demonstrably have been suggested", not "is suggested". Nor does the law distinguish possible LAs by likelihood.

I know what the law says, but I don't think there's a whole lot of semantic difference between "the hesitation suggests bidding 4" and "the hesitation could demonstrably suggest bidding 4".

I don't understand your second comment at all. What does "distinguish LAs by likelihood" mean?

#27 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 11:00

I did wonder whether 4 was a logical alternative. I managed to poll a player who I guessed was a peer of EW, and she took some time to decide what to do rather than say "Pass, what else?" so I decided it was.

There was some support among directors I consulted for the Campboy / Nigel view, but I was more persuaded by the Lamford / Cyberyeti argument (though with some misgivings), so the score was allowed to stand.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-06, 11:42

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-06, 10:50, said:

I know what the law says, but I don't think there's a whole lot of semantic difference between "the hesitation suggests bidding 4" and "the hesitation could demonstrably suggest bidding 4".

I don't understand your second comment at all. What does "distinguish LAs by likelihood" mean?

I mean that it doesn't say we look only at the most likely meaning of the UI.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   vigfus 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Tournament director of BR. The largest bridgeclub in Iceland
    vip@centrum.is

Posted 2013-September-06, 12:45

Pass is certanly an LA here.
I rule the 4 bid out. Play 3. Made 4 for both sides.
Defence error is not serious here.
Vigfus Palsson
Hlidartun 6
270 Mosfellsbaer
Iceland
vip@centrum.is
www.bridge.is

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-September-06, 13:23

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-06, 10:50, said:

I think there's a difference in intelligibility.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-06, 13:47

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-06, 07:22, said:

... the arguments do seem to be saying that the hesitation suggests defending ...
If campboy and I are in your kill-file that would certainly be the case :(

We may not qualify as peers of the players involved in UI cases posted in this forum. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to include polls among plausible alternatives ...
  • Which actions would you consider without UI.
  • Which actions (if any) do you think are suggested by the UI.

#32 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 05:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-06, 11:42, said:

The most likely meaning of the unauthorized information may not affect which actions are considered logical alternatives, but it surely affects which actions are demonstrably suggested [or may be demonstrably suggested, if you must].

If we agree for sake of argument that pass and 4 are West's only logical alternatives, and the most likely bridge reason for East's hesitation is that he is thinking of doubling 3, but that it is also possible that he was thinking of bidding 4 himself, that difference in probability is surely important. You can't forbid both actions by West, so do you allow either if there is any chance (however small) that East could have been thinking about either of these calls, or do you take the probability into account?

#33 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 05:55

View Postnige1, on 2013-September-06, 13:47, said:

If campboy and I are in your kill-file that would certainly be the case :(

We may not qualify as peers of the players involved in UI cases posted in this forum. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to include polls among plausible alternatives ...
  • Which actions would you consider without UI.
  • Which actions (if any) do you think are suggested by the UI.

I don't know what a "kill-file" is, but I can take a guess. I didn't say "all the arguments", and it's quite clear that I've noted your and Campboy's comments. I see Vigfus has joined you.

View Postvigfus, on 2013-September-06, 12:45, said:

Pass is certanly an LA here.
I rule the 4 bid out. Play 3. Made 4 for both sides.
Defence error is not serious here.

You don't say so, but I assume you agree with Campboy and Nigel that the hesitation suggests a club fit rather than extra defensive values against a diamond contract. This is a necessary condition for adjusting the score.

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-09, 06:35

View PostVixTD, on 2013-September-09, 05:45, said:

The most likely meaning of the unauthorized information may not affect which actions are considered logical alternatives, but it surely affects which actions are demonstrably suggested [or may be demonstrably suggested, if you must].

If we agree for sake of argument that pass and 4 are West's only logical alternatives, and the most likely bridge reason for East's hesitation is that he is thinking of doubling 3, but that it is also possible that he was thinking of bidding 4 himself, that difference in probability is surely important. You can't forbid both actions by West, so do you allow either if there is any chance (however small) that East could have been thinking about either of these calls, or do you take the probability into account?

Your argument, if I understand it, works when there are only two LAs. If there are more than two, then there may well be more than one which demonstrably could be suggested. In such cases the "most likely meaning" is only one of several such actions.
--------------------

#35 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-09, 09:36

Didn't there used to be language (maybe a footnote) in the Laws that explained what it meant for an action to be demonstrably suggested, something like the action is more likely to result in a better result? Or am I confusing it with the description of damage?

#36 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 09:39

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-06, 11:42, said:

No, we look at the action that -because of the UI- has an improved expected score. Those are actions that are demonstrably suggested by the UI.

If we have UI (because of a BIT) we can sometimes tell clearly what partner was thinking about. The UI is clear and it is fairly straightforward to determine the LAs that are suggested by it.

Sometimes, there are some options of what partner may have been thinking about (the classic example: 1-2; ...3). When the UI is really unclear, nothing is suggested. Everything is allowed.

From time to time, there are some options of what partner may have been thinking about, but one option is demonstrably more likely than the other. If you look at a void in the opponents' suit, it is more likely that partner was thinking of a penalty double than to bid one more. If you are looking at three trumps yourself, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that partner was thinking of a penalty double. The laws are talking about "demonstrably suggested", not about "demonstrably proven -beyond a reasonable doubt- that this is going to be the correct action with the UI".

So, if you bid on with a void in their suit -reasoning that partner probably was contemplating a penalty double- that is the way to go. After all, the UI suggested to double (bingo!) or pass (second choice), even if it is possible that partner actually wanted to bid one more.

This is even the way to go when partner was actually thinking about bidding rather than doubling. After all, you can only interpret partner's BIT with the information from your own hand, not from partner's actual hand.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#37 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-09, 12:09

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-September-09, 09:39, said:

No, we look at the action that -because of the UI- has an improved expected score. Those are actions that are demonstrably suggested by the UI. If we have UI (because of a BIT) we can sometimes tell clearly what partner was thinking about. The UI is clear and it is fairly straightforward to determine the LAs that are suggested by it. Sometimes, there are some options of what partner may have been thinking about (the classic example: 1-2; ...3). When the UI is really unclear, nothing is suggested. Everything is allowed.
In a real-life, experienced partnership, a hesitant 3 usually has clear inferences but there's not much the law can do about it.

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-September-09, 09:39, said:

From time to time, there are some options of what partner may have been thinking about, but one option is demonstrably more likely than the other. If you look at a void in the opponents' suit, it is more likely that partner was thinking of a penalty double than to bid one more. If you are looking at three trumps yourself, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that partner was thinking of a penalty double. The laws are talking about "demonstrably suggested", not about "demonstrably proven -beyond a reasonable doubt- that this is going to be the correct action with the UI". So, if you bid on with a void in their suit -reasoning that partner probably was contemplating a penalty double- that is the way to go. After all, the UI suggested to double (bingo!) or pass (second choice), even if it is possible that partner actually wanted to bid one more. This is even the way to go when partner was actually thinking about bidding rather than doubling. After all, you can only interpret partner's BIT with the information from your own hand, not from partner's actual hand.
In my experience, hesitations by non-experts usually suggest extra values or extra support -- and suggest action. In this auction, with a stack, I think most players would pass happily, especially as double may well be take-out. But I understand the counter-argument, here.

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-09, 14:57

View Postbarmar, on 2013-September-09, 09:36, said:

Didn't there used to be language (maybe a footnote) in the Laws that explained what it meant for an action to be demonstrably suggested, something like the action is more likely to result in a better result? Or am I confusing it with the description of damage?

Not in the current laws, and so far as I remember, not in previous laws.
--------------------

#39 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 08:05

Not in the Laws. What you may be thinking of is the definition of Logical Alternative, which now exists in the Laws where before it was a matter of Regulation.

A lot of the ACBL's thinking about "demonstrably suggested" comes from the Appeals Books where the discussions on the move from "could reasonably have been suggested" and the meaning of demonstrate seemed to make sense (that's where I get the idea that "there has to be one call that won't be ruled against, and it can't just be 'the one you didn't take'" - because if you can demonstrate that the same UI implies A over B and B over A simultaneously, maybe your demonstration is a bit flawed?)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#40 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-10, 10:36

View Postmycroft, on 2013-September-10, 08:05, said:

Not in the Laws. What you may be thinking of is the definition of Logical Alternative, which now exists in the Laws where before it was a matter of Regulation.

A lot of the ACBL's thinking about "demonstrably suggested" comes from the Appeals Books where the discussions on the move from "could reasonably have been suggested" and the meaning of demonstrate seemed to make sense (that's where I get the idea that "there has to be one call that won't be ruled against, and it can't just be 'the one you didn't take'" - because if you can demonstrate that the same UI implies A over B and B over A simultaneously, maybe your demonstration is a bit flawed?)

If you decide there are exactly two LA's here, and can demonstrate that A could have been suggested over B ---but can also demonstrate that B could have been suggested over A...then I don't think it is the demonstration which is flawed.

There should be one call that won't be ruled against, I agree. The OP situation has shown, IMO, that there doesn't "have to be" one call that won't be ruled against. If there is a flaw, it is in the laws; but I can't think of any way to improve them so that the OS has an option every time which will not be ruled against.

I chalk it up to same as the revoke penalty, where sometimes the OS just can't break even.

In the thread scenario, Campboy attempted to refute Gibson about the actual East hand's relevance. I agree that the actual East holding should not be considered when determining whether West's action demonstrably could have been suggested by UI. I would not consider passing, but if a poll were to produce Pass as a LA, then I would just plain be out of luck whether I passed or bid....when the other choice could have been less favorable.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users