BBO Discussion Forums: Opps have obviously had a mix up. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Opps have obviously had a mix up. What are you going to do?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-September-03, 02:43

Both Vul,

AJT82 73 A842 82

Bidding, your side silent, LHO deals and opens:

1S 2S
2NT 4NT
5C 6NT ?

1. IMPS?

At the table I wanted to double. Ideally I wanted to point partner to lead one of my Aces but thought that it might be seen as a request to lead something odd. In the end I reckoned there was no way they could make 12 tricks with me holding the the Ace of their suit and a run to 7 wasn't going to help. Was it a sound call? On the face of it I stood to make 100pts against giving them 240pts (I think that's right).

2. MPs

As a general rule I understand that when Opps have had this sort of mix up it is right not to risk the double as its likely that most of the field will have stopped in a making game and all I'm doing by tipping them off, giving them a chance of making? However in this case as above it seems they have nowhere safe to run and therefore should I be doubling anyway.

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Simon

#2 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-September-03, 03:15

Do they play 5 card majors? You might need to catch up with those defending 4S, so double seems safe enough. If they make you were getting a 0 anyway.

#3 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-September-03, 03:54

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-September-03, 03:15, said:

Do they play 5 card majors? You might need to catch up with those defending 4S, so double seems safe enough. If they make you were getting a 0 anyway.

They were playing 2/1

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-03, 05:56

Whack it at any form of scoring. As Endymion77 said if they were making you were already booked for a bad score. And even at IMPs, you might get it two off and pick up 300 extra points.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-September-03, 06:26

This really is not a problem. The chances of the opps having 12 tricks in the rounded suits is next to zero. And, as has already been pointed out, if they make 12 tricks you are getting a zero at matchpoints and a -13 at IMPs. The double clearly does not cost anything at matchpoints (and it may not gain either) and may improve your score at IMPs with virtually no risk.

The upside is that every so often your opps have a third loser and the double at IMPs really improves your score.

I cannot imagine failing to double here.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users