BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +

Opening Bid

Poll: Opening Bid (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Opening Bid

1. 1 Club (8 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. 1 No Trump (19 votes [63.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.33%

3. Other (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-09, 23:59

Acol is not very prescriptive. Indeed it comes in a number of flavours. You have to have a prepared rebid when forced, but that is the same in any method. I don't think that there is any distinction between Acol and KS here.

1N is absolutely the normal modern opener. And it is not just about whether 1C.-?-2C is "safe" because the suit is OK. It is as much about pre-emption, cutting out the 1M overcall, and getting in and out of the auction early.

Those who say that in Acol you don't open 1N on 5422 shape are I think falling into the trap of considering what we teach beginners. There is a lot of things that we teach beginners that we would not recommend for experienced players. That said, this is the novice/beginner forum. Should I change my mind in that context or bid what I think is right? Nah - bid what I think is right, every time. How else do you learn?

I remember once on BBO opening a 12-14 1N with 4-2-2-5 shape, the one 5422 shape that most strongly argues for opening 1C, and we got a great score for keeping them out of 4H. I am not saying that opening 1N will always work on such hands but I do remember that the opponent on that occasion was extremely annoyed with me. "You must open 1C with that! You have no rebid problems!" That was at best a neutral argument: Neither do I have any rebid problems after opening 1N. If he were honest, his annoyance stemmed more from the fact that he had been effectively pre-empted than it had to do with the technical merits of my bid.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:38

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-01, 08:48, said:

w/w imps ACOL 4 card majors 12-14NT

Spoiler

Thanks,

Eagles

edit: we are dealer

I would not even think of opening 1NT on this hand,even if playing a 12-14 For one thing the
shape of the hand is unbalanced 5-4-2-2 is a suit distribution. I would open 1 then rebid 2
showing a minor 2 suiter and 14 pts max. To open NTs on this hand is to go down among the dead men (!) :(
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#23 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 10:07

Unfortunately, the way I play it is that 1 then 2 is "almost forcing, good to almost great hand". So that is right out.

Again, I'm not an Acol person, I'm a K/S person. 1 on this hand, playing K/S, is approaching PLM (partnership-limiting manoeuvre). 1 is arguable. Other systems are - other systems.

One benefit of 1NT is that of the opponents have the majors - which they frequently do, and which 1 is catering for - they have to go looking at the 2 level.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#24 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 15:25

I like 1 with the systems I play. What if opps have ridiculous spades? You could go down hard in NT. 1 seems safer and if partner is weak you are fine.
Suleiman
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 16:22

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-13, 08:38, said:

I would open 1 then rebid 2 showing a minor 2 suiter and 14 pts max.

An Acol player would never do this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-23, 16:31

The other thing to consider when opening a weak NT is your runout method when doubled (add a card and I don't mind so much opening a strong NT). If you play one of the methods where partner bids say 2 as 4+ in each major as has happened to me, this can be horrible.

#27 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-23, 17:56

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-23, 16:22, said:

An Acol player would never do this.

This is not correct. When I first played, many years ago with a very good county player, this was common, as was opening 1S on some
45xx hands, so that you could rebid 2H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-23, 18:02

View Postthe hog, on 2013-September-23, 17:56, said:

This is not correct. When I first played, many years ago with a very good county player, this was common, as was opening 1S on some
45xx hands, so that you could rebid 2H.

Oh, I didn't know that. But it seems to me that the practice has died out.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-23, 20:46

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-23, 18:02, said:

Oh, I didn't know that. But it seems to me that the practice has died out.

Yes, my Majors example has certainly died out. Not so sure about the 4D/5C though. I think good players look at the quality of the C suit and see whether it is worthwhile rebidding.
eg
x
AKx
AQxx
xxxxx
Open 1D
x
AKx
xxxx
AQxxx
Open 1C
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-23, 21:10

View Postthe hog, on 2013-September-23, 20:46, said:

Yes, my Majors example has certainly died out. Not so sure about the 4D/5C though. I think good players look at the quality of the C suit and see whether it is worthwhile rebidding.

Yes, in your first example it is reasonable to treat the clubs as a 4-card suit. I feel that I myself must have been in this position before, but I can't remember ever opening 1 with this sort of hand.

If it is done routinely with this shape, in what jurisdictions does the 1 opening require an alert? I am pretty sure it does in the EBU.

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 03:01

I think the 45 1 opening died out before I was born. But 1 on 45 persisted for quite a while (into the 80s even) despite many writers discouraging the practise. It led to many 4-2 heart fits. I think opening a weak (13)45 hand containing very bad clubs with 1 is not so unheard of amongst better players but is still not the norm with the rank-and-file. I am also fairly certain that systemically opening 1 with (13)45 did not require an alert when I was last playing in EBUland. An obvious example is real diamond Precision. A quick perusal of the Blue Book (pp 11, 14) seems to reinforce that that is still the case.
(-: Zel :-)

#32 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 03:44

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-30, 03:01, said:

I think the 45 1 opening died out before I was born. But 1 on 45 persisted for quite a while (into the 80s even) despite many writers discouraging the practise. It led to many 4-2 heart fits. I think opening a weak (13)45 hand containing very bad clubs with 1 is not so unheard of amongst better players but is still not the norm with the rank-and-file. I am also fairly certain that systemically opening 1 with (13)45 did not require an alert when I was last playing in EBUland. An obvious example is real diamond Precision. A quick perusal of the Blue Book (pp 11, 14) seems to reinforce that that is still the case.

My reading is that it is alertable, by 4H2b: "Because they have a potentially unexpected meaning, players must alert: [...] The first bid in a potential canapé sequence".

#33 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 04:12

I go with Zel on this. I open 1 on this hand and do not alert, nor has anyone objected. 1 guaranteeing 3 cards is natural (3E1) and natural openings are not alerted (4B1) and (4C1A).

Campboy's 4H2b refers to canape which does not apply as you do not necessarily intend to rebid clubs, and if you had a different hand with say diamonds and spades, 1 1 1 is not canape. Even if you did choose to rebid 2 partner will not expect clubs to be longer. So 1 followed by 2 is not canape.

#34 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 04:22

Hijack interruption - what's the easy way of getting an e acute into this reply box when you do not have one on your keyboard?

#35 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 04:23

OB 5 G 2 (2) states as alertable "The rebid if in a suit that may be shorter than the first suit, following a
possible canapé opening."

Looks a bid weird, maybe "shorter" should read "longer". In any case the 2 rebid should probably be alerted if it is frequently based on 45.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 04:32

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-30, 04:22, said:

Hijack interruption - what's the easy way of getting an e acute into this reply box when you do not have one on your keyboard?

Make sure your NumLock is on. Then hold down the Alt key and type 130 on the NumPad. Let go of the Alt key and you should see é. Similarly for Alt-144 if you want a capital É.

#37 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 04:56

I can't find any equivalent of the OB clause in the blue book that replaced it. The closest thing may be 4B1b's "has a potentially unexpected meaning". But 2 has no unexpected meaning. It doesn't indicate canapé (sorry, Zel, ubuntu must be different, I have to copy from libreoffice, but thanks) either, because the sequence is much more likely to be xx54 or xx55 or xx64.

Maybe this is equivalent to a minor distortion caused by judgement, upgrading or downgrading, and as such is not alerted as no hidden information is conveyed.

#38 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 06:00

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-30, 04:12, said:

Campboy's 4H2b refers to canape which does not apply as you do not necessarily intend to rebid clubs, and if you had a different hand with say diamonds and spades, 1 1 1 is not canape. Even if you did choose to rebid 2 partner will not expect clubs to be longer. So 1 followed by 2 is not canape.

The first sentence is irrelevant -- the regulation says "potential canapé sequence" so it doesn't matter that other potential sequences are not canapé. I can see that the alertability may depend on whether you have a rebid which shows longer clubs, though. Whenever I've agreed to open 1 on xx45 it's been with an unbalanced diamond, so that 1 - 1M - 2 was definitely canapé and 1 - 1M - 1NT showed both minors with diamonds longer or equal.

#39 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 06:56

View Postcampboy, on 2013-September-30, 06:00, said:

The first sentence is irrelevant -- the regulation says "potential canapé sequence" so it doesn't matter that other potential sequences are not canapé. I can see that the alertability may depend on whether you have a rebid which shows longer clubs, though. Whenever I've agreed to open 1 on xx45 it's been with an unbalanced diamond, so that 1 - 1M - 2 was definitely canapé and 1 - 1M - 1NT showed both minors with diamonds longer or equal.

Out of interest, why do you do it this way round rather than 1NT = >= ; and 2 = > ? I thought that 2 showing longer clubs was usually only used for limited openings. But in these cases, my guess is that the 1NT/2 rebid should be alerted rather than the 1 opening.

Oh, and it does not surprise me that it could be different in a Unix-based OS. A quick search threw up this link, which gives 3 possibilities. Also, I saw a post that said the Alt codes worked for someone but they had to use the right Alt key and not the left. So try that too.

#40 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 08:21

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-30, 06:56, said:

Out of interest, why do you do it this way round rather than 1NT = >= ; and 2 = > ? I thought that 2 showing longer clubs was usually only used for limited openings. But in these cases, my guess is that the 1NT/2 rebid should be alerted rather than the 1 opening.

Yes, you're right, I was misremembering.

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users