Page 1 of 1

What does this bid mean? 1NT-2C-2H-2S

#1 User is offline   gambolero 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-31, 12:13

1NT - 2
2 - 2?

Strong 1NT, 2 is standard Stayman, could be weak with 5-4 or longer majors.
What does 2 mean?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-31, 14:30

I'm sorry to say there is no such thing as "standard Stayman". Without discussion, I would assume that 2 shows an invitational hand with 4 spades.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-31, 15:00

View Postgambolero, on 2013-August-31, 12:13, said:

1NT - 2
2 - 2?

What does 2 mean?

2S = either of 2 types of hands [ EDIT: Not standard, but one of many treatments ] :

1) 8-9 hcp w/4s but not 4h or

2)4s/6m, weak

Continuations after: 1NT - 2C, 2H - 2S, ....
Opener - Responder
2NT - p ( hand # 1 )

2NT - 3C/3D ( hand # 2 )

3C - p ( hand # 2 w/6c)
3C - 3D ( hand # 2 w/6d )

3S ( max, 4s for Opener )
3S - p ( hand # 2 )
3S - 4S ( hand # 1 )

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2013-August-31, 17:17

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-31, 15:54

TWO4BRIDGE, your response is completely inappropriate for the Novice and Beginner forum. Especially since your presentation might mislead a beginner into thinking that it is at all standard.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is online   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-31, 16:54

One fairly common agreement is for 2 to agree to hearts as a trump suit and show interest in slam. For this agreement to be useful, you also need agreements on the followup bids. Such schemes may be too complicated for beginners.

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-31, 17:14

As Mgoetze said, there is no standard meaning. I can think of at least five reasonably common interpretations (gf relay, inv with 5, f1 with 4, agreeing hearts, nf with 4, and an extra one my mother once did - five spades and five diamonds, intending to pass a 2 response, but raise 2 to game) but without discussion, one should not make such a bid, and should tend to flounder along with 2NT if in the hot seat. The best usage will depend on the rest of your system over 1NT, hence the lack of uniformity.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-05, 06:22

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-August-31, 17:14, said:

I can think of at least five reasonably common interpretations (gf relay, inv with 5, f1 with 4, agreeing hearts, nf with 4, and an extra one my mother once did - five spades and five diamonds, intending to pass a 2 response, but raise 2 to game)

You missed a couple - Baron range ask (that is, either a normal 2NT without 4 spades or a hand looking for a minor suit slam); and a transfer showing clubs. But agree with everything you wrote, especially the part about the optimal meaning being dependant on the rest of the 1NT structure. For example, Baron only makes sense if playing non-promisary Stayman, since otherwise there are no 2NT invites without 4 spades!

Playing with a pick-up American N/B partner, the sequence is essentially identical to 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT when playing transfers. Playing natral weak takeouts though, I would assume 2 is invitational with 5 spades. And with an Acol partner, 2 is most likely to be weak, not dissimilar to the version of Mrs King.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-05, 06:48

View Postakwoo, on 2013-August-31, 16:54, said:

One fairly common agreement is for 2 to agree to hearts as a trump suit and show interest in slam.

I don't think that's common at all. It's common for 3 to show that.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-08, 01:43

Stayman can be a two edged sword. It should never be used thoughtlessly. The "Staymanner" should be prepared for any
response partner makes. From the bidding p has shown a 4 card major but,cruicially, he has not denied holding4
Holding 4 only p would bid 2thereby denying holding 4 The correct bid is bid 2NT if not holding 4 spades
and 3 inviting game in the suit if the "Staymanner" has 10+ points.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-08, 05:36

This thread would have been perfect if it had ended after two posts.

(Assuming that the OP is playing transfers)

This post has been edited by Vampyr: 2013-September-08, 05:39

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 14:41

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-08, 05:36, said:

This thread would have been perfect if it had ended after two posts.

(Assuming that the OP is playing transfers)

But then what would be the point of having a discussion board,Vampyr(?) :(

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#12 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-September-08, 14:48

Sorry for adding to the posts but I am hoping this is helpful. Were you playing 4 suit transfers? If you were not, then ignore this post and get what you can from the earlier posts. If you were (or your partner thought you were) then 2 in this sequence shows exactly 4 spades, denies 4 hearts and is forcing. This is because (playing 4 suit transfers) responder does not promise a 4 card major when he Staymans and rebids 2NT.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 16:41

When you bid stayman here you have to lead the 1nt bidder by the nose.

2 shows exactly 4 spades and exactly invitational values. Opener can place the contract and if they are 4-4 in the majors, this may be it. If you bid 2nt in stead and don't promise 4 spades they are twisting In the wind and even if you do they may have a problem. I's not about avoiding problems on your side, it's about solving partners before they happen.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-09, 04:48

Ggwhiz, this depends on the system you are using. For many (and probably most around the world to be honest) Stayman followed by 2NT over 2 does promise 4 spades. Sp your statement is simply untrue. 2 might show this for you and your methods but it is bad advice to a N/B player to say that this is the definitive answer. As I pointed out above, the expected meaning without agreement is likely to be different according to where CHO comes from and what level they have.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 04:57

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-September-08, 16:41, said:

2 shows exactly 4 spades and exactly invitational values. Opener can place the contract and if they are 4-4 in the majors, this may be it. If you bid 2nt in stead and don't promise 4 spades they are twisting In the wind and even if you do they may have a problem. I's not about avoiding problems on your side, it's about solving partners before they happen.

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 05:01

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-September-08, 16:41, said:

"The race may not got to the swift nor the battle to the strong,but that's the way to bet it."
Disagree. Remember the fable about the tortoise and the hare and the story about David and Goliath(!) ;)

#17 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-09, 08:30

View Postgambolero, on 2013-August-31, 12:13, said:

1NT - 2
2 - 2?

What does 2 mean?

There are two common (and quite standard) meanings:

1) If you play 4-suit transfers (i.e., 1N-2S is a xfer to clubs, and 1N-2N is a xfer to diamonds), then this sequence shows an invitational hand with 4 spades and without 4 hearts.
[Playing 4-suit transfers, you'll have to bid 2C followed by 2N to make a balanced invitation as responder. Since opener can still have 4 spades here (along with the 4 hearts he's promised), responder bids 2S with a 4 card spade suit to check or 2N with no 4 card major.]

2) If you do not play 4-suit transfers (i.e., 1N-2N is invitational), then this sequence usually shows an invitational hand with 5 spades and 4 hearts.
[With an inv hand with 5S and < 4 hearts, you'd transfer to spades and bid 2N.]

As others have mentioned, there are many other possible meanings. There is a lot of discussion in these responses that I consider inappropriate for the novice and beginner forum, but hopefully you can glean some info out of some of them. The upvoted posts are a good place to start.

Welcome to the forums. If you can successfully perform triage on the responses, there is a lot of value to be gained from posting here. Cheers.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-10, 08:41

View PostWackojack, on 2013-September-08, 14:48, said:

Sorry for adding to the posts but I am hoping this is helpful. Were you playing 4 suit transfers? If you were not, then ignore this post and get what you can from the earlier posts. If you were (or your partner thought you were) then 2 in this sequence shows exactly 4 spades, denies 4 hearts and is forcing. This is because (playing 4 suit transfers) responder does not promise a 4 card major when he Staymans and rebids 2NT.

There is no reason for this bid to be forcing; for just about all Stayman players, 3NT over 2 promises 4 spades.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 08:57

View Postwyman, on 2013-September-09, 08:30, said:

2) If you do not play 4-suit transfers (i.e., 1N-2N is invitational), then this sequence usually shows an invitational hand with 5 spades and 4 hearts.

This is what I would assume with a random partner and no discussion. But as the various responses show, there is much room for error. Usually in such a situation, the discussion (or argument) will follow afterwards. If people would realize that there is not one right answer, then the latter could be avoided.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users