• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concealed revoke

#1 User is offline   lexlogan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-22, 14:18

A few weeks ago I was victimized by a concealed revoke: North showed out on the second club, I played her for length in spades, she in fact had a singleton spade and I was down an extra overtrick. After I got home I realized that South could not have 4128 shape and, checking the hand records, North revoked and then turned her cards face down when I claimed the last few tricks. I'm quite confident North was not aware of the revoke, and of course if I'd been more alert I'd've realized something was out of whack. But it's much easier to spot a revoke when you see the cards!

Anyway, the Laws disallow intentionally concealing a revoke but do not require everyone to face their cards when a claim is made. I routinley do so, and note that several players do likewise, but most turn their cards face down. Would anyone favor requiring all cards to be faced after a claim?
Paul Hightower

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-22, 14:23

I don't think it would be practical.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   lexlogan 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 14:25

Many of us do it routinely; why would it be impractical for everyone to do so?
Paul Hightower

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 14:42

Just seems that way to me, but then I haven't played with any of you yet, so I wouldn't really know.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 15:05

View Postlexlogan, on 2013-August-22, 14:18, said:

Would anyone favor requiring all cards to be faced after a claim?

I would. By rule, play is supposed to stop after a claim anyway, so what harm could be done? Also if everyone revealed their hands, the incidence of "let's play on" would likely be reduced, sparing directors some headaches.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 15:11

This seems like quite a niggling little thing to be making a rule out of.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-22, 16:58

I would only be in favor of such a law if it is enforced like use of the stop card is enforced - no penalty for infractions, but you may give up some of your rights if you fail to comply to the law and a situation arises that may have been ameliorated if you had followed the law.
Chris Gibson

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-August-22, 17:38

A few weeks ago I was victimized by a concealed revoke: North showed out on the second club, I played her for length in spades, she in fact had a singleton spade and I was down an extra overtrick. After I got home I realized that South could not have 4128 shape and, checking the hand records, North revoked and then turned her cards face down when I claimed the last few tricks. I'm quite confident North was not aware of the revoke, and of course if I'd been more alert I'd've realized something was out of whack. But it's much easier to spot a revoke when you see the cards!

Anyway, the Laws disallow intentionally concealing a revoke but do not require everyone to face their cards when a claim is made. I routinley do so, and note that several players do likewise, but most turn their cards face down. Would anyone favor requiring all cards to be faced after a claim?
Completely agree. Amazingly, the current law doesn't even require declarer to show his hand!

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-23, 02:41

Seems like a bad idea, it's pampering people that don't count/think enough (which is what this game is all about). Moreover, if a claim requires every player to show his hand, then someone with a 2-way finesse can claim, look at opps cards and eventually say "I'll finesse that way".
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 06:12

View PostFree, on 2013-August-23, 02:41, said:

Seems like a bad idea, it's pampering people that don't count/think enough (which is what this game is all about). Moreover, if a claim requires every player to show his hand, then someone with a 2-way finesse can claim, look at opps cards and eventually say "I'll finesse that way".

Obviously all the existing claim rules are enforced based on declarer's statement before seeing defender's hands. Although I suppose this opens new ground for the players to dispute the facts.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 06:24

obviously you don't show your hand before the claim has been accepted by both defenders.

Edit: oh well, maybe a defender needs to see his partner's hand before he can decide whether to accept or not. But in any case, you shouldn't show your hand before declarer's plan is clear to the defenders.

This post has been edited by helene_t: 2013-August-23, 06:26

The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 08:44

Would anyone favor requiring all cards to be faced after a claim?

It would suffice for me if the law explicitly required any player to show their hand upon request from another player.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 08:51

View Postbillw55, on 2013-August-23, 06:12, said:

Obviously all the existing claim rules are enforced based on declarer's statement before seeing defender's hands. Although I suppose this opens new ground for the players to dispute the facts.

Or to quickly show their hand before declarer has had a chance to complete his claim statement?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-23, 09:10

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-August-22, 15:11, said:

This seems like quite a niggling little thing to be making a rule out of.

We have laws requiring players to count their cards before looking at their hand, shuffle them before putting them back in the board, and detailing how dummy's hand is laid out (I'll bet many players assume that putting trumps on dummy's right end is just a tradition -- it's actually a law). These all seem more "niggling" than a law that allows revokes to be discovered when claiming.

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 09:23

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-August-23, 08:44, said:

It would suffice for me if the law explicitly required any player to show their hand upon request from another player.

Good enough for me.

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-August-23, 08:51, said:

Or to quickly show their hand before declarer has had a chance to complete his claim statement?

If he does so, then the contents of the hand are AI, if declarer is smooth enough to incorporate them into his claim statement on the fly. Really this would be no different (to me) than a defender exposing his hand during play. Again, players are likely to dispute the facts, so maybe jeffford's version is best.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 10:26

I believe that it is legal to request someone show their hand, and, if refused, for cause, having the TD require them to show their hand. I don't think anything more need be available. I certainly don't want some of my more post-mortemier opponents to have the right to look at my hand for no bridge reason except more griping at his partner or mine (or me).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 10:49

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-22, 16:58, said:

like use of the stop card is enforced - no penalty for infractions

Well, I would expect that repeated misuse/lack of use of the stop card would incur a PP, but I don't think the opponents would complain often.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-23, 10:51

View PostVampyr, on 2013-August-23, 10:49, said:

Well, I would expect that repeated misuse/lack of use of the stop card would incur a PP, but I don't think the opponents would complain -- after all, if the stop card is not used, they can bid in whatever tempo they wish.

Lack of use has never incurred a PP in ACBL land. And opponents may not bid in whatever tempo they wish if you don't use it. Maybe its different in the UK.

The only advice I've gotten regarding use of the stop card are multiple people telling me that if you use it, always use it, and if you don't use it, always don't use it.
Chris Gibson

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-23, 17:31

View Postmycroft, on 2013-August-23, 10:26, said:

I believe that it is legal to request someone show their hand, and, if refused, for cause, having the TD require them to show their hand. I don't think anything more need be available.

I don't think there's any Law that specifically says that a player may request to see another player's hand, either during a claim or at some other time. There's also no Law saying they may not request, but there's no Law saying the request must be acceded to. When resolving a disputed claim, the TD may require players to show their hands.

I've probably led a sheltered life, because I don't think I've ever experienced a claim where the claimant didn't show his hand. I've probably conceded the remaining tricks as declarer occasionally without bothering to show my hand, although I think I usually do just out of habit. And when declarer is down to all trumps and isn't bothering to claim, I've probably made defensive concessions without showing anything (with a comment like "why are we still playing?").

#20 User is offline   ehhh 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-24, 19:18

Revokes are missed more times than one images - sort of an iceberg thing.
Here is my suggestion:
Not being a very good counter and a better visual player such as yourself,
I make it a habit, when cards are turned down at the end of the hand, to ask for them to be faced.
This way it helps me with my weak counting issue as well as spotting inadvertent revokes.
A promise made is a debt unpaid....R Service

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users