BBO Discussion Forums: New Hand for your comments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

New Hand for your comments

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-11, 02:56

Dlr: S Vul: None

Over 1NT opening 2S or Double? And after that...

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-11, 09:45

A quite important question here: what are your agreements over 1NT?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-11, 10:07

Natural overcalls or Capp

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-21, 20:03

Well, uh, my first comment is that you could work on your presentation. Who opened 1NT and what did it show? I'm going to assume West opened a 15-17 1NT, but to be honest it looks more like a 12-14 1NT to me and that would change things.

If it was a 15-17 1NT I personally wouldn't even be playing a penalty double, and this North hand certainly wouldn't make me regret that. I mean, you have 3 tricks. Imagine if the East and South hands were switched, would you be happy playing 1NTxx W or 2x N? Of course not.

So if 2 shows spades, or better yet spades and a minor, then bid that.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 05:15

1NT 2 p 3
p 4

Players are apt to pass partner's overcall with the South cards, but with good trumps that would be an error. Game will often make on a low point count holding a good fit, and placing the opposition cards is easy.

You have chances of an overtrick on a non-heart lead. There is a Morton's fork in diamonds available - on (say) a trump lead, win on table and play the diamond nine. If West goes in with the king, you can make three diamond tricks, and if he ducks, you can revert to hearts for a diamond discard.

#6 User is offline   louisg 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 19:35

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-August-21, 20:03, said:

Well, uh, my first comment is that you could work on your presentation. Who opened 1NT and what did it show? I'm going to assume West opened a 15-17 1NT, but to be honest it looks more like a 12-14 1NT to me and that would change things.

If it was a 15-17 1NT I personally wouldn't even be playing a penalty double, and this North hand certainly wouldn't make me regret that. I mean, you have 3 tricks. Imagine if the East and South hands were switched, would you be happy playing 1NTxx W or 2x N? Of course not.

So if 2 shows spades, or better yet spades and a minor, then bid that.

LOL. If you bid 2, and the East and South hands were switched, you wouldn't be any happier than if you had made a penalty double.

Despite the result on the actual hand, I think a case can be made for passing over a 15-17 NT with the North hand. I do agree that a 2-suited overcall, if available, is safer than bidding a natural (1-suited) 2.

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-August-24, 01:19

Put me in with the 2 crowd. You have distribution (stiff ) and a suit.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users