• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this normal? Is this normal?

#1 User is offline   jahol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-January-16, 05:57

Scoring: MP

Just finishing one of many BBO individuals and strongly disappointed with the hand above. Playing against Polish-Norwegian pair.

The opening was 2 diam, alerted. I have many, many pieces of experience with Polish players opening Polish 1 club in individuals, highly artificial opening, without any alert, playing with foreign partners, who are far away from expecting something like that. But 2 diam from Polish club, so called Wilkosz opening (7-11HCP, 5-5, at least one major) , is such an special opening, I would never ever expected, someone would dare to use it with "inexperienced" partner (and opponents :) .

Still I asked about the meaning. Bullseye! The only explanation which appeared at the screen was "Wilkosz"! For me, the information was sufficient, but what about my partner? But there was no more information at all (may be, the author of the opening was not able to explain it in English more in detail :( ).

The bidding continued with double from my partner, 3 dia from south, pass from my side and 3 spades from north. This was doubled once more from my partner side and redoubled from north side.

Then my partner, who could never ever imagine, what that mess did mean, led a trumph.

3 spades redoubled made.

Don't you thing, that such approach is far out of zero tolerance level?

#2 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-16, 08:28

It makes a difference if a player gives a poor information of his bids though he was able to give a better one, or if a poor fool is acting. Here, a Polish player expects a Norwegian to know that his opening is Wilkosz. But even if the Norwegian knows Wilkosz, he would not expect the Pole to use it unless discussed. So it is quite foolish by the Pole to open this. Nevertheless, the contract reached is the best one for your side, as you cannot make 3nt without opps' help, and 5D does not make at all.

So what is left is the possible misinformation to your partner. But: Either he knew Wilkosz, then all is ok. Or he didn't know. Then it is easy for him to ask for a better explaination. Only if he did ask and the Pole did not explain, we have a case.

But even if your partner had to guess what the opening meant, I consider S a poor lead. Even without explanation I would expect North to have some Spades for his 3S bid (this was not alerted, after all). I cannot cost anything to lead a H and have a look at the dummy. Then he sees that he can ruff H, play another H and then DA and a D. This will easily set the contract. So, as a director, I would likely let the result stand for your side, and only adjust the score for opps, if that was possible with the software. If your partner did not ask, I would not change anything. Describing Wilkosz in detail to somebody who never heard of it involves some typing, and in order not to waste time unnecessarily, I would accept that only the name of the convention is used and full description is only given on request. Private chat to both opps is available for that purpose.

Karl

#3 User is offline   helium 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:BRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted 2005-January-16, 08:38

Hi, sry but i really cant see what ur opps did wrong. from souths pint of view :

p open 2 this is a indy so i asume its natural weak hand whit so i bid 3, now p bid 3? well god know what hes doing now lucky rho dbl so i can pass and let him "do hes thing". now he XX? ah well hes polish and a little crazy it seems but this cant be for take out. ill let him play here:))

and north:

this is a indy but i only know one system and whit this hand we open 2:(
lho dbl and p bid 3 ?well he have some cards and ask me to pick best major.
i bid 3, now rho dbl and p pass? well i have good cards and p have some supp i go for the money and xx. all pass.

who did wrong here?

but your p did a mistakes imho he had the information to avoid this score/lead:))

kenneth
foole me once, shame one you!!
foole me twice, shame on me....!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users