BBO Discussion Forums: What's the stronger raise?What's the weaker raise? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the stronger raise?What's the weaker raise?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-09, 00:11

Recently I had played a club team match against a pairs of good players who play the precision bidding system,however strangely ,their BBO Convention card said stronger raise and weaker raise without high card points alerted whenever they made a major raise.
Now my trouble appeared.
As you know,these technical terms are difficult for my layman to understand ,who know what stronger raise is? who know what weaker raise is? how many high card points? exactly meanings?Actually stronger raise is equal to constructive raise,weaker raise is equal to pre-emptive raise,however I know this is just a guess of mine.

So I found the inventor of bidding system online at BBO,he is a excellent British expert,he said you call it constructive raise,but we called it stronger raise.I can't change my bidding system due to your dissidence.
I disagree .This is not a language problem.I think both of stronger and weaker raise are user-defined terms,it is not a terminology of the bridge game unless constructive or pre-emptive raise.
He then said to me that your views are ridiculous.I answered that that will be ridiculous and that will be unfair play if you can't alert your bidding clearly.

Dear friends,my mother tongue is chinese,not English. Would you tell me who is right or wrong?

Thank you very much .

lycier

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 00:44

lycier, on 2013-August-09, 00:11, said:

Recently I had played a club team match against a pairs of good players who play the precision bidding system,however strangely ,their BBO Convention card said stronger raise and weaker raise without high card points alerted whenever they made a major raise.
Now my trouble appeared.
As you know,these technical terms are difficult for my layman to understand ,who know what stronger raise is? who know what weaker raise is? how many high card points? exactly meanings?Actually stronger raise is equal to constructive raise,weaker raise is equal to pre-emptive raise,however I know this is just a guess of mine.

So I found the inventor of bidding system online at BBO,he is a excellent British expert,he said you call it constructive raise,but we called it stronger raise.I can't change my bidding system due to your dissidence.
I disagree .This is not a language problem.I think both of stronger and weaker raise are user-defined terms,it is not a terminology of the bridge game unless constructive or pre-emptive raise.
He then said to me that your views are ridiculous.I answered that that will be ridiculous and that will be unfair play if you can't alert your bidding clearly.

Dear friends,my mother tongue is chinese,not English. Would you tell me who is right or wrong?

Thank you very much .

lycier

Show the bridge bidding- most people can understand that.
As far how stronger one bidding sequence is over another- that's partnership understanding and personal preference.
Yes we know you are Chinese- doesn't the Chinese forum give good answers?

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 02:03

Hi,

#1 the opponents have to explaing their bids to each other, in such a way, that the other side understands the explanantion
it is assumed, that everyone if familiar with Milton High Card Point Count, but not much beyound.
#2 explaining a bid by its conventional name is not sufficient.

Than being said, the space in the alter box is limited, so for starters, just using the name is certainly sensible.

If you dont understand the alert, need more detailed information, ask via private chat for a clarification.

The words constructive / preemptive raise, are also user defined terms, since what may constitute a constructive raise,
what constitutes a preemptive raise can greatly vary, some would think having Qxxxx xxx xxx xx as a weak two opening in
3rd green vs. red being a max, some would not even consider starting to thinks, that this may be an opening bid.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 02:03

Probably the stronger raise shows the values for the 3-level while the weaker raise is only slightly encouraging. But it really depends on context. Was it about
1-(pass)-3
being weaker then
1-(pass)-2
?

Or something different?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 02:18

helene_t, on 2013-August-09, 02:03, said:

Probably the stronger raise shows the values for the 3-level while the weaker raise is only slightly encouraging. But it really depends on context. Was it about
1-(pass)-3
being weaker then
1-(pass)-2
?

Or something different?

I don't know what's the meanings of 3,but I know the sequence :1 -- 2,2=weaker raise or weakish raise for their CC.Wei precision.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-09, 23:25

Since these terms are technical bridge expressions, not normal English language, it doesn't matter what your mother tongue is. A non-bridge player would have no idea how to understand them, even if he's fluent in English.

I believe "constructive raise" is usually considered a raise with about 3-card support and 8-10 HCP, or 7-9 HCP with extra shape (e.g. 4-card support and a singleton). These are the kinds of hands that in traditional bidding would start with a single raise, but accept an invitation to game. Having a way to show them immediately means that opener doesn't have to go to the 3 level to find out that responder has a minimum hand, and potentially be too high as a result. It also means that you can make the weak raise with a little less than the usual 6-9 HCP, since there's little risk of getting too high, and this may interfere with the opponents' bidding.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users