BBO Discussion Forums: simple choice? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

simple choice? basic bidding decision

Poll: simple choice? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

your call?

1. double (20 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. 2 hearts (11 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

3. 2 spades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2 diamonds (0 votes [0.00%])

5. pass (0 votes [0.00%])

6. arcane science of your choice (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-05, 10:00

IMP pairs, white on red. Doesn't get much simpler than this. Or does it?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-August-05, 10:31

No, it doesn't. I double.

That is not to say that subsequent actions will be easy. But the double seems clear at this point in the auction.

The only other rational choice would be 2, and that could lose the spade suit. 2 is also a slight overbid, but I am not as worried about that.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-07, 04:58

I voted Dbl and stfu noob. Dbl because it's the best call imo, stfu noob because for this kind of polls you shouldn't check the "allow users to select multiple answers?" checkbox when creating the poll.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-07, 06:22

View PostFree, on 2013-August-07, 04:58, said:

I voted Dbl and stfu noob. Dbl because it's the best call imo, stfu noob because for this kind of polls you shouldn't check the "allow users to select multiple answers?" checkbox when creating the poll.

That's exactly why I made it that way, in case somebody wanted to pick a bid and also tell me something. I mostly trust people to not vandalize my poll by selecting all the bids.

Anyway, here is the full hand and story:

I was south. Result: 3+2, +150. This was a bad score as many pairs made game in a red suit ( there were also some other diamond partials, and a couple numbers from 4x). My pickup partner then tells me - in all caps - that double is bad and that I should bid 2 to show more than four. I didn't agree, but I thought that 2 was at least plausible, so decided to check on it.

I was actually more worried that 3 is an underbid, but I did not venture to discuss that with this partner.

How would you get to game? Can you check for 3NT along the way? Perhaps I could try 3 at my second call.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-August-07, 06:29

#1 X, not even close.
#2 Sure 2H showes 5+, at the time I checked the hand, your partner did hold,
he had only 2 hearts, i.e. you have not 8 card fit in a major.
The neg. X does not deny 5 hearts
#3 3D showes inv. values, you have a max. for the call, but unless you want to
commit to game oppossite a min. opener with 5diamonds, 4 clubs, and club
wastage, 3D is your only bid
#4 after partners reaction you learned the lesson, that you should consider
never to play again with him, since he is resulting

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-07, 08:34

This problem has been around for years (and X is obvious).

Imagine the same S hand without the interference.

The auction goes 1-1-2, what do you do now ? You have the same problem, force to game or not, knowing partner doesn't have 4 spades.

For N/B there is no solution to this it's a pure judgment call.

A number of experts will play next suit up (2) or next unbid suit up (2) as an inquiry over 1-1-2 to fix this, but even then it wouldn't surprise me to hear a 3 response to this passed out (although partner's lack of a club stop might push you to think his values are working and you might head for 5).

3 is a slight underbid, but there are lots of hands you don't want to be in game opposite here.

3 is a reasonable bid, but partner might easily bid a no play 3N with only one club stop.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-August-07, 09:42

I used to be a doubler here, for many years. However, these days I feel that the better call is an immediate 2.

I do, however, think it is close.

The problem with double is that you are almost never finding a 5-3 heart fit. Otoh, bidding 2 doesn't rule out finding our spade fit, should it exist. 2 doesn't deny spades, so partner can bid 2 if given a chance.

Preemption by LHO bidding 3 seems like a live possibility on our hand, but I don't see a first round double as helping on balance.

Partner is unlikely to be able to bid 3 over 3 if we bid 2, but may be able to do so if we double and he has some extras. However, if we bid 2 it is with the intention of doubling should 3 be bid on our left and it come back to us, so we will usually break even. In the meantime, if we double, 3 has a high probability of preventing us from finding a 5-3 heart fit.

I am not worried about 2 being an overbid, since this hand is pretty good opposite long diamonds.

Note that after the actual start of double then 2 by partner, we have a very tough call. 3 seems to really understate our values, yet what else can we do? I think we are just a tad too weak to gf with 3, since partner will often be some 5332 minimum.

Had we started with 2, we would be much happier inviting game should partner bid 3, at least imo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-07, 14:29

I think double is right, but's it's pretty close to being strong enough for 2. I also think you very well might find a 5-3 heart fit even after a double. Partner will frequently bid a 3 card major here if he lacks a four card major, and will bid if he has 3 of both. For that reason, it is slightly more awkward if we have 5 and 4, and might be worth stretching to bid 2 in that scenario.

As the auction unfolded, partner shouldn't pass 3. He has made a minimum bid, but he has a 6 loser hand, all his HCP are clearly working, and you have heavily suggested shortage (having shown both majors and raised . He should re-evaluate his hand as (at least) game invitational.

#9 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-08, 06:39

I prefer to bid 2H as I will lose my 5/3 H fit if I make the neg dble. Also this does not lose the S suit even if LHO were to raise the over call. This is a decent hand facing a D opening bid and needs little to produce game. At time you could argue to take the low road with double, but imo taking the aggressive action rates to pay off far more often.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 05:32

2 is fine if the ops are silent, partner can bid 2 over it without extras.

double is better when it turns competitive, not only puts both majors into the picture, it also puts diamonds and that will often be our best fit.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users