Page 1 of 1

4 Hearts Double Dummy

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-July-30, 14:47

contract = 4H by south

K lead from west... apparently it can be made, I can't see it?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 15:01

Win A, small heart. W plays say K and returns a , ruff on the table, spade to A and another to W's K. what can W do ? another diamond ?

Ruff on the table, Q discarding a club, 3 rounds of clubs.

You have 2 spades, 2 ruffs, A, 3 clubs in the bank so you are 8-2 on the trick front.

The ending is that dummy has xx and J, W has Q102, you have A65 now a small heart towards the J guarantees you 2 tricks.

There are alternatives, but it's going to be this sort of thing.

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-July-30, 15:43

I was thinking of A, ruff, three clubs and another ruffed, spades to the Ace and the last club, so far we have 7 tricks and no matter what west does we're getting two more in addition to the A.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-July-30, 15:44

thanks Cyberyeti and Hanoi, seems so obvious now!!!!

as a side, what is the best way to play the Heart suit (non double dummy, i.e. forget this hand just looking at how to play that suit the best way?
Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-31, 02:04

View Posteagles123, on 2013-July-30, 15:44, said:

thanks Cyberyeti and Hanoi, seems so obvious now!!!!

as a side, what is the best way to play the Heart suit (non double dummy, i.e. forget this hand just looking at how to play that suit the best way?
Thanks,

Eagles

I recommend looking at http://www.bridgehan...mbination_5.htm (and the similar pages). These show the best way to play different combinations for different numbers of tricks; obviously you can't take it to the table with you but you can study it offline.

You have J987 facing A654. A lot depends on how many tricks you need. If you need 4, it'll take a fairly classic defensive error (e.g. LHO leading highest from Hxxx, dropping his partner's singleton honour). Alternatively, if they're trumps, you can try scoring them on ruffs.

If you need three tricks, my instinct says to play low towards the J at trick 1. This works if LHO inserts an honour (which most defenders will from Kx, Qx, Qxx, HTx, etc.). You then have to decide whether to drop a now-singleton high honour or a now-singleton T; obviously you win if either oppo plays the T. If LHO plays small, I'd insert the 9 as this gains over the J whenever LHO holds the T.

If you need two tricks, I think playing small towards the J987 is also correct, for much the same reasons.

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 03:40

If you need 3 tricks, play small to the 9 and then run the jack if LHO ducks, catering for HT on your left (more likely than KQ doubleton where winning the ace the second round is better, or singleton honor on the right where winning the ace first time is correct). If you need 2 tricks, lead twice towards the J987, guaranteeing 2 tricks as long as you don't lose to singleton 10.
Wayne Somerville

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users