• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:53

Lead 7 tricks = 9

OT P 1S P 2S lead 10 tricks = 7

-5 imp
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 10:26

Well, I would 100% open the South hand and have a Jacoby auction to 4 forcing NT auction to 4H and (probably) go off. Perhaps it's not Jec's style but hands like these prove it's a mistake imo.

I guess they were playing constructive raises in the other room but 2 is still a gross underbid! I would also lead a against all S games and partials (even with the 1 bid) and consider it clear. As a rule I am quite a fan of leading small doubletons even when not looking for a ruff but it looks much more likely to blow a trick here.

This post has been edited by broze: 2013-July-30, 10:45

'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-30, 10:33

View Postbroze, on 2013-July-30, 10:26, said:

Well, I would 100% open the South hand and have a Jacoby auction to 4 and go off. Perhaps it's not Jec's style but hands like these prove it's a mistake imo.

I guess they were playing constructive raises in the other room but 2 is still a gross underbid! I would also lead a against all S games and partials and consider it clear. As a rule I am quite a fan of leading small doubletons even when not looking for a ruff but it looks much more likely to blow a trick here.

From the other room:

Our style is to open 10 point hands in this position at this vulnerability. Therefore, the range on all of our responses is kicked up by 2 HCP. The North hand is not quite good enough for a limit raise, so it is a maximum raise to 2. It also shows exactly 3 spades (or 4-3-3-3) - Bergen style. Appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, the raise was not a constructive raise.

My partner did not play the hand particularly well, so it justified not bidding game. He didn't even make 8 tricks! Not one of his finer efforts. But the opps did not make it easy for him. They did lead clubs, which makes the play much more difficult.

After my partner went down, I apologized for bidding so much on the North hand.

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 10:39

Woops. I've mis-seen the North hand. I actually get to 4H I expect: 1S-1NT-2H-4H.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users