• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:38

l

Lead 5 tricks = 8

OT 1C P P 1N (11-16) lead j tricks = 8

+5imps
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:51

1. S should bid 1 in response to the double. Bidding 1 might be as good as 1 should N pass, but when N takes another call, and this is entirely foreseeable given the start to the auction, S is poorly placed to find a 4-4 spade fit without forcing the auction too high should it not exist.

Compare the actual auction: S bids 1 and now, if he wants to bid (see later), he bids 2, which would allow N, with 3=2 or 3=3 majors to give preference at the 2 level. As it was, for N to give preference, he would have had to bid at the 3-level.

2. S's second call was the more costly error. He should have got away with the 1 call by passing 1N. I assume 1N was taken to be about 15-17. S has a clear pass of a strong 1N opening bid, so has an equally clear pass of the 1N rebid

3. I have no idea what N thought he was doing with 3. Admittedly, he should take S to be at least 4=5 majors, but S has to have a poor hand not to have bid more strongly earlier. I would bid 3 as N. Of course, that works out even worse than the actual auction, but at least no one can accuse me of resulting here :P

4. S had become the victim of his own misbidding, compounded by N's 3, so 3N was the least of evils.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users