BBO Discussion Forums: Oh no our auction has gone off the rails - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oh no our auction has gone off the rails can you help me get it back?

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 09:54

Our agreements;
2/1 is 100% forcing to game
We play Kickback for the minors
2D is our generic rebid showing 5+D any strength - allowing partner to further describe (a 4-4 major fit is still possible)
3C is natural
3H is natural and often an attempt to get to 3NT (unless later clarified)
4NT is natural and invitational - at least an Ace more than a minimum

Clearly my 3H bid has derailed this auction. I was on my way to 6 or 7 clubs and wanted to hear if we had wasted spade cards - I was planning to bid 4C over 3NT and Kickback over 4C. I was not ready for the 4NT bid (and not even sure what to do over 4D which shows how poorly I thought this out). Now I really want to bid the grand but partner doesn't even know what's trumps!

I'd like to bid 5H looking for a 5S bid - but we are not on firm ground here. Should partner know to cue bid his A of spades even if he doesn't know what is going on? Is there anything else I could be looking for?

Any other ideas?

ps: next time SET THE FREAKING TRUMP SUIT!
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-July-29, 10:03

Your auction went off the rails when you failed to raise 2 directly to 3. To woodenly rebid 2 seems very wrong too me.

You might have recovered over partner's 3 by bidding either 4 (splinter) or 4, but you really don't want to be asking for aces. If that is needed it should be up to partner.

However, at this point, a simple 6 bid by you will probably get to a playable contract, problem is you might miss 7 or if it matchpoints, a better 6NT contract
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 10:40

2D is fine -- right out of Max Hardy's 2/1 GF book -- promising 5+ Diam, and loads of room available to find a 4-4 major fit.
I don't agree with Ben's suggestion of an immediate 3 card raise. Responder may only have a 4 card suit.
But 3C ( by North ) denied a 4 card Major and showed 5+ cards .
Now raise to 4C over 3C .
And, if using Zelandakh's "Conditional RKC" :
South-North
1D - 2C
2D - 3C
4C - ??
....... 4D = no slam interest
....... the next 4 steps are RKC replies showing slam interest :
....... 4H = 0/3
....... 4S = 1/4
.......4NT = 2 - Q
....... 5C = 2 + Q

If Responder makes the 4NT reply ( 2 - Q ), s/he can now start to ask for Kings (cheapest specific reply) with 5D .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-29, 12:33

I'd just bid 7. He's almost certain to have A, given that he's missing all the other aces and QJ of his long suit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-29, 13:07

View Postgnasher, on 2013-July-29, 12:33, said:

I'd just bid 7. He's almost certain to have A, given that he's missing all the other aces and QJ of his long suit.

It's not the spade A that worries me....

I'd be more worried about the red suits..in particular that he has Qx(x) or Jx(x) or even QJ(x) in diamonds and nowhere to put the losers and no squeeze. If that were the only issue, I might still blast but when I factor in that he might, just barely, be off the spade A, then blasting grand is too committal for me.

At imps, one wants very good odds to bid a grand. At mps, one wants even better odds simply because in most fields, some pairs have accidents even when grand looks fairly easy to bid...it is rare to score zero for missing a grand and routine to score zero for overbidding to a failing grand.

I would bid 6. I'd toy with 6N at mps, but reject it...I think it a worse choice than either 7 or 6...if we can make 6N, I'd often prefer to be in 7.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 03:37

View Postmikeh, on 2013-July-29, 13:07, said:

I would bid 6. I'd toy with 6N at mps, but reject it...I think it a worse choice than either 7 or 6...if we can make 6N, I'd often prefer to be in 7.

I beg to differ on this.
I bid 6N at mps and 6 at IMPs.
I am pretty sure that in the long run 6N is a winning proposition at mps even when 7 has good chances.
6 at mps is only right if it is our only makeable slam.
When everything makes, 6 with an overtrick will not be much above average, if at all.

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 05:20

come on, partner has an 18 count with 6 bad clubs, its really tough to find a loser, diamonds should provide pitches on partner's hearts, the only real danger is missing K when partner has doubleton, but even then, he will have at least KJ, but most often KQ so not everything is lost . 7 is the only reasonable alternative at this point.

I don't understand why you didn't bid 2 over 2, I know 2 is waiting/asking, but you don't wait/ask when you have a cheap descriptive bid.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-30, 07:17

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-30, 05:20, said:

come on, partner has an 18 count with 6 bad clubs, its really tough to find a loser, diamonds should provide pitches on partner's hearts, the only real danger is missing K when partner has doubleton, but even then, he will have at least KJ, but most often KQ so not everything is lost . 7 is the only reasonable alternative at this point.

I don't understand why you didn't bid 2 over 2, I know 2 is waiting/asking, but you don't wait/ask when you have a cheap descriptive bid.

I agree with your second point: partner would often bid a forcing 2N and now our 3 call goes a long way towards showing our hand.

But on your first point, I don't know wht you think partner has shown 18 hcp: the OP said that he showed an A over a minimum: he doesn't need 14 to respond 2. A small point but maybe a big one when trying to guess the final contract.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-30, 10:20

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2013-July-29, 10:40, said:

I don't agree with Ben's suggestion of an immediate 3 card raise. Responder may only have a 4 card suit.

With this 1-4-5-3 pattern, I agree with you; and so would Max (your frequent referrence and usually our common ground). But not because it is a 3-card raise, rather because the 2D rebid was systemic to show the fifth diamond at this point.

In his earliest (Blue) book, even before he made 2C/1D a true game force, he recommended 3-card raises (HXX) of 2C with balanced hands ---and a dreaded 2D rebid with 3-3-4-3 but no honor.

When 2C/1D became a game force in his teachings, he still advocated a 3-card raise with balanced hands ---no longer requiring an honor ---even though he acknowledged that on occasion the 2C response might only be a 4-bagger.

By doing this he stuck with one of his pet descriptive rebids:

1D-2C
2N=exactly 4=4=3=2 and either 12-14 or 18-19 HCP.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 13:55

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-July-30, 10:20, said:

By doing this he stuck with one of his [ Max Hardy ] pet descriptive rebids:

1D-2C
2N=exactly 4=4=3=2 and either 12-14 or 18-19 HCP.

I think I've heard of that "2NT" rebid = 4 4 3 2 ( by Opener ) over 2C ... but for the life of me I can't find it in his yellow paperback .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-30, 17:11

He First stated it on Pg 24 of the Blue "Five Card Majors, Western Style"; then never backed off the idea.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   GBinUS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-02, 14:34

Did I miss it or did you 'forget' to bid 4 after the 3 call instead of the ridiculous 3 ?

After partner is known to have a game going hand and a 6 card club suit missing AQJ, with all my controls, surely the club slam has play, and maybe the grand. So set the suit and let's go!

Now shooting 7 risks having a losing red card somewhere, so I'm going to settle for 6 and clubs is safer than NT.

#13 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-02, 16:52

View Posthumilities, on 2013-July-29, 09:54, said:

ps: next time SET THE FREAKING TRUMP SUIT!

I'm ready to see Opener's hand .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-August-02, 19:46

The failure to raise C at the first instance is an egregious one. I would bid 6C now.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-06, 06:20

View PostGBinUS, on 2013-August-02, 14:34, said:

Did I miss it or did you 'forget' to bid 4 after the 3 call instead of the ridiculous 3 ?

Clearly 3H was wrong that was the whole point of the OP glad to hear it was ridiculous too :P

View Postgnasher, on 2013-July-29, 12:33, said:

Excellent thought that didn't occur to me at the table - thanks :)

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2013-August-02, 16:52, said:

I'm ready to see Opener's hand .

Opener held:

AKx
Kx
KJ
K10xxxx

I just bid 6C figuring our mediocre opposition probably wouldn't bid the grand (they didn't) but still felt just as stupid missing such an easy opportunity. Thanks to all that took the time to give advice.
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users