BBO Discussion Forums: Yellow rose of texas - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yellow rose of texas

#21 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2013-July-27, 08:12

Actually while on the note on NT systems. Which is the best NT system available now. I was looking at some and its a bit hard to tell.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-27, 16:48

quiddity, on 2013-July-25, 15:04, said:

I think it is so bad because:
1. It comes up rarely and hence is liable to be forgotten.

I hate when people use this as a reason for not liking a convention. There should be an implicit understanding that a pair using the device will not forget it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-28, 07:55

Vampyr, on 2013-July-27, 16:48, said:

I hate when people use this as a reason for not liking a convention. There should be an implicit understanding that a pair using the device will not forget it.

Yes, but pairs that decided not to play it may have chosen so because they were afraid of forgetting it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 06:40

phoenix214, on 2013-July-24, 11:10, said:

And following things up, how do in natural biding you normally drive to slam with lets say an 16 count 4432, with lets say 4 spades and 4 diamonds

One of the possible solutions is to play a Baron-style (ie 4 card suits up-the-line) follow-up after Stayman. So after 1NT - 2; 2, 2 = Baron range ask, handling normal game invites as well as balanced slam tries looking for a minor suit fit. Similarly, 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = Baron range ask. After a 2 response, we do not have enough space for such a 2-way bid. Instead, you can re-arrange things to use 3 as Baron: 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 = minor suit Baron with linked to and linked to .

You can do something similar with Puppet too but here it is easier since you only really have to handle the 2 response:
1NT - 2; 2
==
2 asks if Opener holds 4 spades; then 3m next time around is Baron
2 shows 4 hearts and denies 4 spades; then 3m over 2NT is Baron.

So with 4 spades and 4 diamonds, you would respond 2. If partner bids 2 of a red suit you continue 2. Partner will now either bid 2NT with a minimum (upon which you bid 3), or bid a 4 card minor with a maximum (and now you can show your diamonds).

In Britain it is popular in some parts to use an immediate 2 response over 1NT as a Baron range ask. This is arguably simpler than the delayed Baron method above but is (imho) theoretically inferior.

There are other methods around too, some using a full relay structure, but I think those are probably better left for an interested reader to discover.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users