Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

sound in the old client

#1 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-13, 16:16

Today I tried to play on BBO for the first time in a while and had some technical difficulties. I still use the old (downloadable) client and far prefer it. Unfortunately it gave me no "beeps" from messages, logins or it being my turn. I did still get the "clicks" from selecting menu options, et al. Checking and resetting the sound options in game did not help. Thinking that perhaps there was a conflict somewhere I left the table to reboot the PC but the issue remained. In the end I used the online version and was reminded about why I hate it so much. In any case, has something been changed here? I know the management wants everyone to move over to the new version but presumably this is not a ploy to achieve that end. Any ideas on how to fix it for the next time?
(-: Zel :-)

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-13, 17:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-December-13, 16:16, said:

In the end I used the online version and was reminded about why I hate it so much.

Care to elaborate, out of interest? Or if you have explained before perhaps you could link it? I'm just always surprised by this because I greatly prefer the new version (although I have to say there are a few annoying blips that have not been addressed since I started playing on it)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-14, 15:50

The download client hasn't changed in many years, other than very infrequent updates to the version of GIB. So something must have changed on your PC, maybe you upgraded the OS?

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 08:54

The only system thing I have changed (afaik) is to change the default browser from Explorer to Firefox. Certainly the OS and drivers have not been changed (by me).

Having sniffed around a little it seems that all of the wav files in the netsound directory are not working properly. I can play them by double-clicking on them in the directory. Do you know where the directory is to be found? I have gone through various ini files without finding it, although that did confirm that the sound settings are correct in the profile. I will also mention that my copy of bbo is not installed in the default location. Unfortunately I cannot see how any of these things could possibly be relevant.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 09:39

Instead of clicking the desktop icon to launch the BBO client, try right-clicking it and then clicking "run as administrator" (or similar) on the menu that appears.

If that doesn't work, try to reinstall it using the same trick on the setup program.

If that doesn't work, my only other suggestions are to either get used to the silence or don't be a hater.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users