BBO Discussion Forums: What are these? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are these? We disagreed...

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-December-09, 16:37

I will post the full hands later, but for now let's just go off the bidding...

SA 5533...

You open...NV/V MPs

1-(3)-X-(P)
4?

1-(3)-X-(P)
5?

1-(3)-X-(P)
4?

1-(3)-X-(P)
4N?

Your hand...What is the bid?
Spoiler

The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-December-09, 16:54

Sorry, maybe move this to Natural Bidding Discussion if it is a better sub-forum...
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-December-09, 17:19

All club bids by opener are natural. The modern style of a negative double of 3 promises spades, but implies nothing about clubs. Opener bids naturally where feasible, so clubs = clubs.

Since the negative double doesn't create a gf, 4 is passable, so 5 is also passable while showing extras....sufficient to want to force to 5minor, and suggesting pass or correct. Responder can go to slam if he chooses, but needs a big hand and either a heart control or such length as to make it safe to assume that opener has one.

The cuebid is a tough one in the absence of agreement. One thing we'd all agree on is that it is a very good hand.

Does it imply spades? I don't think it does but it doesn't deny them. If opener has spades, he is too strong to bid 4 opposite a minimum negative double, so responder can bid 4 and count on opener to bid again with or without spades....IOW, opener isn't doing this in order to play in exactly 4. However, if responder bids 4, opener's minor suit bids are, imo, natural and non-forcing (tho very strong).

4N is to me natural: probably 18-19, tho may have a little less and very good and long diamonds. Definitely passable.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-09, 17:50

View Postmikeh, on 2013-December-09, 17:19, said:

All club bids by opener are natural. The modern style of a negative double of 3 promises spades, but implies nothing about clubs. Opener bids naturally where feasible, so clubs = clubs.

Since the negative double doesn't create a gf, 4 is passable, so 5 is also passable while showing extras....sufficient to want to force to 5minor, and suggesting pass or correct. Responder can go to slam if he chooses, but needs a big hand and either a heart control or such length as to make it safe to assume that opener has one.

The cuebid is a tough one in the absence of agreement. One thing we'd all agree on is that it is a very good hand.

Does it imply spades? I don't think it does but it doesn't deny them. If opener has spades, he is too strong to bid 4 opposite a minimum negative double, so responder can bid 4 and count on opener to bid again with or without spades....IOW, opener isn't doing this in order to play in exactly 4. However, if responder bids 4, opener's minor suit bids are, imo, natural and non-forcing (tho very strong).

4N is to me natural: probably 18-19, tho may have a little less and very good and long diamonds. Definitely passable.

Agree with all of this except 4N which to me is 4 and 6 diamonds, with 18-19 I cue, but this is all a matter of agreement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users