#21 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-21, 08:13

Wackojack, I thought 3d in response to 1M was showing 4-card support

#22 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-July-21, 11:50

Some play 1M-2NT to show a limit raise or better with 4 or more support not full Jacoby style game force.
3= remains as the original Bergen 6-9 4 card raise.
This releases 3 to show 10-12 with 3 card support.

Sorry if my post left some confusion. I thought the fact that you mentioned Bergen raises in the context of the responding hand in your post, that this was what you were referring to.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#23 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-22, 11:20

This is a prime hand for "1M-2m; 3m-3M" being 100% forcing (and showing the double fit rather than a cuebid for m). Once you *know* that you won't go +230, you get the space you can use (several people upthread showed ways to show it). Unfortunately, it doesn't *look* like a 100% forcing call, so many partners, undiscussed, will not take it that way.

The number of times you want to stop on a dime in 3M is miniscule (and the number of points you'll save doing so) compared to the number of times you want to set the double fit for game v. slam decisions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#24 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-22, 12:44

View PostWackojack, on 2013-July-21, 11:50, said:

Some play 1M-2NT to show a limit raise or better with 4 or more support not full Jacoby style game force.
3= remains as the original Bergen 6-9 4 card raise.
This releases 3 to show 10-12 with 3 card support.

Sorry if my post left some confusion. I thought the fact that you mentioned Bergen raises in the context of the responding hand in your post, that this was what you were referring to.

This is not the way I understood Bergen.

The standard method to show 10-12 with 3 card support is that you bid 1NT then 3 of the major.

The 3 response shows 10-12 with 4 or 5 card support.

One of the primary reasons for playing Bergen is to get the auction to the 3 level ASAP when you have at least a 9 card fit. Not only is this consistent with "The Law," but it makes it harder for the opponents to compete when they are likely to have a fit due to our side having a 9 card fit.

As for 2NT showing limit or better with 4 card support, that is all well and good, but I have yet to run into anyone that plays that.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users