BBO Discussion Forums: CALL TO ARMS 7/27/13 2PM EASTERN vs JEC - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CALL TO ARMS 7/27/13 2PM EASTERN vs JEC Lets see if we can improve some on our ZERO record

Poll: DOES ANYONE CARE (11 member(s) have cast votes)

this is NOT a public poll I am trying to find out how many read this forum and wish the JEC series to continue

1. shall we continue the JEC vs POSTER matches (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. discontinue said matches (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-19, 13:53

jillybean, on 2013-July-18, 09:55, said:

Kristen33 & I will always play and we are available for the 27th but I realise we are not be the ADV+ you are looking for, the jb half of the partnership at least :)

OK LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A WHOLE TEAM and an extra week to boot. Kristen33/JILLYBEAN and Artk78/Guymath

NOW if a "stronger pair" wishes to join some method of arbitration must take place to see whom will play. I have a "seniority"
system in place which means the player(s) that lost the most recently are at the bottom of the seniority list all other things
being equal. Since there seems to be ZERO interest in having some kind of competition to earn a spot I have sort of
arbitrarily decided all players are equal for now and the seniority system will decide who is up. As a reminder

A forum POSTER is one that tries to answer questions a forum QUESTIONER is one that posts questions only.

4 (or more if they want to play tag team) forum poster regular partnerships
2 forum posters regular partners
2 forum posters not regular partners
2 forum posters and 2 questioners regular partnerships
1 forum poster and 3 questioners regular partnerships
1 forum poster and regular partner
1 forum poster 1 questioner regular partners
1 forum poster 1 questioner not regular partners
1 forum poster and 3 others regular partnerships
4 (or more if they want to play tag team) questioners regular partnerships
2 questioners regular partners
2 questioners not regular partners
1 questioner and regular partner

that's it I am not overly concerned if I have missed any variations but please note that
until THUR MORNING prior to the match a higher ranking seniority player/pair/team
can displace someone already volunteering lower on the priority list. Thur morning
prior to the match it becomes first come first served and if a higher player/pair/team
suddenly decides they want to play they have to convince the players chosen to
step down and let them play in their place. I will not do the coordination for this last
part it is up to the players themselves to do the coordinating.

#22 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-19, 14:27

I seem to have missed a whole lot of stuff here. Didn't see where there was a discussion about "earning a spot" and I really would like to hear from an organizer about the motivation for these matches, with all respect to greenman.

Way back when, I thought the matches were just for experts so hadn't paid a whole lot of attention to the posts about them. I wonder how many other people have done the same? It would be helpful if there could be a recap of what it's all about and then possibly also of how people might go about getting to play IF you suddenly get swamped with people; I'd imagine most of us here have both asked and answered questions or tried to help.

Sorry about being late to the party but it would be a shame if the JEC matches were to disappear, and I bet I'm not the only one who hadn't thought playing might be an option, since I'm not an expert.

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-19, 16:17

lycier, on 2013-July-19, 13:19, said:

ok,I agree,but I also have pd or team,of course I am willing to listen to your arrangement.Posted Image
I am a chinese in the mainland of China,so the time of match is the key.

2PM EASTERN TIME I have no clue how to convert that to your time:)

#24 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-19, 17:16

gszes, on 2013-July-19, 16:17, said:

2PM EASTERN TIME I have no clue how to convert that to your time:)

According to the world clock, New York and Beijing are exactly 12 hours apart so 2 PM in New York is 2 AM in Beijing.

#25 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-19, 17:35

onoway, on 2013-July-19, 11:38, said:

Ok what exactly is the idea here? Is it to try to form teams to beat them or is it to field players who would love to try in spite of being clearly outclassed but who have some degree of skill and lots of enthusiasm for the game?

I chatted with Larry L about this yesterday and he said he was happy to have anyone who was serious about improving their game.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-19, 18:13

For future reference: I'm nige1 on BBO, often free on Saturdays. Like most BBOers, I would love to play (BBO 2/1, Acol, whatever) if needed.

IMO, however, our long-term approach should be geared more to winning. This entails coaxing the strongest BBO players and partnerships back into the fold.

#27 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-21, 18:33

saw JEC come from 56 IMPS down with 6 boards to play and win by 3 imps sooooo if perchance
you get ahead of them do not let off the gas one iota or they will blaze past you. JEC wants to play
a strong team but they included the forums to allow for a wide range of players to benefit from the
experience of playing high level bridge (nose bleed high?) and in front of several hundred
spectators watching and waiting to jump on your every move:)))))))))))))))))))))))))) Who knows
maybe playing really really really really well against them might lead to future recruitment (does
this dream happen often:)))))))))))

#28 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-25, 07:54

gszes, on 2013-July-21, 18:33, said:

[snip] and in front of several hundred spectators watching and waiting to jump on your every move:))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Kibitzers can be brutal with their comments, I am very glad that I can't see the comments as I am playing but I can imagine what some are saying about my performance. I never think about this during the game, the only thing that matters is that I am the one playing and not sitting in the peanut gallery with the rest of them. :P :P
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#29 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 08:15

Wow... this is a neat thing. Sorry for arriving at the thread so late *and* for not being aware of these matches before.

FWIW, I think it would be great to mix up the approach... Set up a pool of our learning pairs, a pool of our 'expert' pairs, and then alternate between 'the best' and us mere mortals.

I'd love to play sometime, but would need to find a partner and would need notice. Like Jilly, I desperately want to improve, am willing to be a little embarrassed to do it, and would be thanking God that I can't see the kibber comments. :)

If we do this again, I will be on a watch for the thread and at least look forward to kibitzing.

If there's a need for help with organization, I would be happy to assist there, too, perhaps.

#30 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-27, 15:22

Fantastic!! :) I will never get tired of playing these games.
It's hard to believe that I can get to play against Versace (#4 in the world) and Cayne who is no slouch himself. :D :D :blink:
Made my day, thanks everyone
(still learning)

#31 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-July-28, 08:29

There was a time not so long ago where we went over all if the bad boards in detail and tried to figure out how to beat JEC (and usually Apron /Moki). There was also a real sense of camaraderie where if you were on the losing side you felt really bad about your charges which were discussed here.

I watched for a few hands and got disgusted after seeing one of our pairs go for 1700 and give up 990.

Yes I'm part of the problem because I can rarely play on Saturdays. Perhaps we would get a better turnout if the matches were on a different time/ day.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#32 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-28, 08:38

Right, I really miss the discussions after :(

#33 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-28, 21:18

I'm more than happy to post the hands for discussion and I will try to get them posted tonight. I have gone through the hands with my partner and I will try to get him to weigh in here. His analysis will be a lot more interesting than mine.

To get the hands on forums I have to post them card by card and bid by bid, I don't know how to
insert the file as I could do way back on the old forums.
(still learning)

#34 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 18:42

The difference in the match was the large swings (won mostly by JEC)
that swung the match. No new sessions planned until after the Atlanta
nationals (sometime after 8/14.

#35 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 19:48

a MARVELOUS JOB posting all 28 hands from JEC match 7/27 TYTYTYTY

but please put the boards in order I am getting hugely frustrated trying to figure

out which one is next sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I know they will get out of order but even I can remember that after board ten comes board 11
and I just look for it>

#36 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-30, 20:46

gszes, on 2013-July-30, 18:42, said:

The difference in the match was the large swings (won mostly by JEC)
that swung the match. No new sessions planned until after the Atlanta
nationals (sometime after 8/14.

When you lose by 69, it is hard to say that "The difference in the match was...."

:)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users