BBO Discussion Forums: MP or IMP, where is GIB stronger? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MP or IMP, where is GIB stronger?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-20, 12:19

Granted that in robot tourneys it is strictly the other humans against whom you are competing, I am nevertheless interested in opinions on whether GIB plays a stronger game at MP than at IMP, or vice versa, or too close to call.

Is there any way of measuring it? What say all y'all?

For what it's worth I personally think that its IMP game is stronger, but it is only gut feel.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-20, 14:13

I rarely play with robots but robot simulations should help at MPs because of the importance of gain-frequency. Also robots' ability to keep focussed should help at pairs because each board is of equal importance. Nevertheless, MPs is a more testing game of skill, so I agree with 1eyedjack that they should do better at imps.

#3 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-20, 21:07

LOL. Perhaps a better question is whether they even have different behavior in the different forms of the game.

#4 User is offline   Leo LaSota 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-20, 21:28

There are more factors involved in matchpoint games that can play a key role in the outcome than at IMPS. For example, correct defense that holds a hand to -620 as opposed to -650 is huge at matchpoints but is only worth 1 IMP at IMPs. While GIB is well programmed on many of the important decisions, there are a fair number of key factors at IMPs that GIB is not well programmed for.

Therefore, GIB is tougher at matchpoints than IMPs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users