• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:02

View Postmike777, on 2013-August-19, 00:11, said:

only that you say you don't give a "rat's ass" about the feud for 50 years but then show you do .....no problem: so do \most of us after 50 years :)

anyway I forget what is the question regarding this entire thread? :)

:P An awkward moment for me. At this exact moment, my beloved 14 year old Cocker Spaniel is apparently dying. It happened so suddenly. She was sickly but was functioning fairly well yesterday. Tonight she can barely walk. Hope is not lost, but barring a miracle, tomorrow the vet's diagnosis will confirm the worst, assuming she makes it until morning. The loss of an animal and beloved pet is no fun at all.

#202 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:21

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-19, 01:02, said:

:P An awkward moment for me. At this exact moment, my beloved 14 year old Cocker Spaniel is apparently dying. It happened so suddenly. She was sickly but was functioning fairly well yesterday. Tonight she can barely walk. Hope is not lost, but barring a miracle, tomorrow the vet's diagnosis will confirm the worst, assuming she makes it until morning. The loss of an animal and beloved pet is no fun at all.

Sorry wow sorry my deepest regrets, my heart pours out.
Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

#203 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 02:18

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-19, 00:45, said:

If anything people are much more open minded in this thread than the BW one.

Almost impossible not to be, although Israel tends to close minds.

#204 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 02:51

Again, it's not Israel. The way I see it, when you first hear about an issue, you form some opinion. From that point on, your natural tendency is to discount evidence contrary to the opinion you formed and enjoy evidence which supports your opinion. The human mind is just naturally closed - most likely it saves energy or some similar evolutionary advantage. To keep an open mind requires constant, active effort, and still sometimes these things sneak on you.

#205 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-August-19, 03:47

No comment Art on Israel's refusal to allow Natalagawa a visa?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#206 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-19, 05:10

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-19, 02:51, said:

Again, it's not Israel. The way I see it, when you first hear about an issue, you form some opinion. From that point on, your natural tendency is to discount evidence contrary to the opinion you formed and enjoy evidence which supports your opinion. The human mind is just naturally closed - most likely it saves energy or some similar evolutionary advantage. To keep an open mind requires constant, active effort, and still sometimes these things sneak on you.

There are some subjects where you're willing to hear evidence and change your view, religion, Israel (and some other bits of politics), and your choice of sports teams don't usually come into that category.

#207 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 06:54

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-19, 02:51, said:

The human mind is just naturally closed - most likely it saves energy or some similar evolutionary advantage.

Yes, evolutions favors the continuance of nonfatal habits of action and thought. Simple principle: if you are alive, what you have been doing up to now has been reasonably successful.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#208 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 07:15

View Postbillw55, on 2013-August-19, 06:54, said:

Yes, evolutions favors the continuance of nonfatal habits of action and thought. Simple principle: if you are alive, what you have been doing up to now has been reasonably successful.

And if you are dead you need not care...
Just wonder why we stopped running naked in the boonies. (was reasonably successful as long as we stayed alive...)

Rainer Herrmann

#209 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-August-19, 07:28

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-19, 07:15, said:

Just wonder why we stopped running naked in the boonies.

Take a naked trip to Bavaria sometime in early February to find out. Well, unless global warming has re-started by then; then you could try Siberia. There are advantages in warm climates too, of course, but it was an essential part of moving into certain areas. Sometimes you cannot keep on doing what you did to survive, because your community got too large or the climate has changed to make your area uninhabitable. Then you need to adapt. Mankind (and, mammals in general to be honest) has proven very effective at adaption...it's a bit like a bridge hand where you start playing on auto-pilot and suddenly need to adapt to a 5-0 trump split...
(-: Zel :-)

#210 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 08:49

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-19, 07:15, said:

Just wonder why we stopped running naked in the boonies.

Speak for yourself. :P
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#211 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-August-19, 09:27

It appears that Migry got her visa:

http://newinbridge.c...order-play-bali
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#212 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 09:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-August-19, 09:27, said:

It appears that Migry got her visa:

http://newinbridge.c...order-play-bali
As expected ... Glad that's sorted.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#213 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-August-19, 09:44

View Postjonottawa, on 2013-August-19, 09:32, said:

As expected ... Glad that's sorted.

Does this mean Roland might reconsider and participate? IMO, he is invaluable to Vugraph.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#214 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 12:04

View Postthe hog, on 2013-August-18, 18:31, said:

I see that Art is again getting personal. Not only that but he obviously does not realise that yes, though Indonesia is a Muslim nation, Bali is not a Muslim state - it is Hindu.
He and others also ignore the fact that Indonesia planned to open an embassy in Ramallah in 2012. After the Israeli's refused to allow the Indonesian foreign Minister, Marty Natalagawah, into Ramallah, this plan was shelved. Natalagawah is a moderate and enjoys excellent relations will all governments in the Asian Pacific region.
Art and others ignore the fact that Israel was never told "You may not attend". They chose not to.

There is no evidence, apart from anecdotal, as to what was asked for by the Israeli's and what was provided, (or not provided), by the Indonesians. Based on the misleading statements and utright lies published on the BW site, I will not believe any statements unless they are accompanied by hard evidence.

It is convenient to "forget" or to ignore these points.

The majority of Bali may be Hindu, that would make it culturally more Hindu than Muslim perhaps, but I doubt that makes it a "Hindu State". I think it's still governed by the Laws of Indonesia which is an Islamic country.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#215 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-19, 14:27

View Postsathyab, on 2013-August-19, 12:04, said:

The majority of Bali may be Hindu, that would make it culturally more Hindu than Muslim perhaps, but I doubt that makes it a "Hindu State". I think it's still governed by the Laws of Indonesia which is an Islamic country.

The question is not whether the majority of the people living in Bali are Hindu, but whether they can secure the playing site against terrorists. The laws of Indonesia may well have some impact there; the government of Indonesia certainly does.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#216 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-19, 18:07

View Postsathyab, on 2013-August-19, 12:04, said:

Actually no. While subject to Indonesian laws, the Balinese still have customs entrenched in the legal system which are uniquely Hindu. By the way, there is no "perhaps" involved. Bali is Hindu.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#217 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-19, 18:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-August-19, 14:27, said:

The question is not whether the majority of the people living in Bali are Hindu, but whether they can secure the playing site against terrorists. The laws of Indonesia may well have some impact there; the government of Indonesia certainly does.

Why would you think they could not, Blackshoe? You could ask the same question about the US. Can the US secure marathon routes against terrorists?

#218 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-19, 18:24

Sure. Just don't allow any spectators, bystanders, or anyone else anywhere near the route. Close down all the businesses. If people live along the route, tell 'em to go to the beach or something. Keep motorized vehicle, bicycle and foot traffic away. Interdict the airspace over the route. Perform multiple thorough sweeps of the route before the event, using different people in different areas. There's probably other things that could/should be done — I'm not a security expert.

It can be done — but it wouldn't be. Too much interference with other peoples' lives, not enough media coverage, etc., etc.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#219 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-19, 19:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-August-19, 18:24, said:

Sure. Just don't allow any spectators, bystanders, or anyone else anywhere near the route. Close down all the businesses. If people live along the route, tell 'em to go to the beach or something. Keep motorized vehicle, bicycle and foot traffic away. Interdict the airspace over the route. Perform multiple thorough sweeps of the route before the event, using different people in different areas. There's probably other things that could/should be done — I'm not a security expert.

It can be done — but it wouldn't be. Too much interference with other peoples' lives, not enough media coverage, etc., etc.

Yes, that's the point I am making.

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users