• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Keep the Stats?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-July-09, 06:02

I've only played club duplicate maybe 20 times, but I'm a bit of a stats fanatic. I have the percentages for when I'm declaring, for when partner is declaring, heck I even have the perecentages for probably 90% of the partnerships in the room. Is anyone else into keeping such detailed stats or is it just me lol :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 06:04

somes english bridge club uses a web tool called "pianola" which provides statistics and trend curves for score of partnerships, subsettable by who was declaring and who was on lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-July-09, 06:45

For on line, yes, because it is easy. Import all the hands into excel.

Face to face, never anything this close. I use to keep what is known as batting average for each partnership. It was easy to calculate and keep up with.

ACBL masterpoints won/ACBL masterpoints available.

For example if you play in club where 1.0 materpoints would have been won for 1st place, and played with a partner 20 times, count up your total masterpoints won and divide by 20. This way club championship wins (where rating points go higher) are worth more than winning when there are only three tables. This works also well for sectionals, etc, but If you play in a huge tournament and don't win anything, or only get a few section places, your batting average drops like a rock.

IT is a fun way to easily track how you do with several different partners. I found this suggestion in some magazine in the 1970's. I don't remember which one. I haven't used it in a long, long time.

--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-09, 07:33

After each club afternoon, I take the hand record sheet and record on it the auction, contract, result, MP result and difference from par. Then I add who was declarer and tally up trick difference from par. At the top of the sheet I create summary tables of how many each of us declared plus how many we defended along with totals for tricks against par; for how many hands we were above, below or equal to par; and for the MP distribution divided up into suitable ranges. Then we go through the hands individually.

The thing about stats like this is that they are probably only really useful if they help you to spot patterns of play. My experience is that most people are actually very bad at this, although it is not unlikely that BBFers as a group are well above average.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-09, 18:24

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-09, 07:33, said:

After each club afternoon, I take the hand record sheet and record on it the auction, contract, result, MP result and difference from par. Then I add who was declarer and tally up trick difference from par. At the top of the sheet I create summary tables of how many each of us declared plus how many we defended along with totals for tricks against par; for how many hands we were above, below or equal to par; and for the MP distribution divided up into suitable ranges. Then we go through the hands individually.

Wow, that is intense. I could get all of this information except for the auction from Pianola, and I am not even motivated enough to click on that.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-09, 22:27

If you're really dedicated you could divide your defensive results by who was on lead OR by which defender won the first defensive trick (and thus had their side's first choice to continue or switch strategies). Might be worth something or not.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users