BBO Discussion Forums: Basic competitive decision - matchpoints - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Basic competitive decision - matchpoints

Poll: Basic competitive decision - matchpoints (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Double (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. 2D (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Pass (25 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-02, 05:30

Seems like it's between 2D and X. Your agreement here is that double promises 4S. If it is relevant, partner is not overly aggressive with his 1 level overcalls (you think he is a tad conservative).
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-02, 05:48

I will make the normal call when holding a weak NT in sandwich position.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-02, 06:21

I pass. Matchpoints is still bridge.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-02, 11:17

humilities, on 2013-July-02, 05:30, said:

Seems like it's between 2D and X.

No it isn't. I think pass then balance (if appropriate) is called for here. We have no clear lead direction and the opps are unlimited to this point but in a forcing auction. Given pards conservative overcalling style, 1nt back to me gets doubled and we might bury them wherever they land.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2013-July-02, 22:20

Pass. and unless partner acts, pass on next round. If opener raises my K there is misplaced. If he rebids 1 NT, both the and in my hand are bad. ( even split, minor honors under opener, K short in front of stronger hand, so often offside.) penalty double of 1 NT should show values/length in responder's suit, shortness in opener's. Without double I expect partner will often lead a diamond(I could have made a one level overcall if I had the other pointed suit. I would expect a good score.

Incidently, a normal first round T.O. shows at least 4 cards in each of the two unbid suits.

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 05:06

I don't see a downside to 2. I am happy to bid a 5 card suit headed by AJ, with useful outside values. Partner is most unlikely to have the absolute nothing hand that would give me a minus 500, and it very usefully cuts out opener's 1 or 1NT bids.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-04, 13:07

fromageGB, on 2013-July-04, 05:06, said:

I don't see a downside to 2. I am happy to bid a 5 card suit headed by AJ, with useful outside values. Partner is most unlikely to have the absolute nothing hand that would give me a minus 500, and it very usefully cuts out opener's 1 or 1NT bids.

-300 is more likely. And it isn't that unlikely.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 18:50

Imo 5 votes for 2 overcall with 5332, in sandwich position, is still way too many, even in non expert forum.

When one overcalls, he/she should be happy to be raised, happy to find a fit to land on . I would be annoyed at 3 level with this hand even if my pd provides a 4 card fit, let alone the fact that he will raise me with a lot of 3 card support hands.

I don't even understand the goal. Do we badly want a diamond lead ? Are we messing their auction badly ? With 5332, i would think we need extra ordinary strength that we can not pass or extra ordinary suit quality or both and no other better options except than bidding our 5 card suit. Neither AJxxx suit nor 13 hcp justifies it.

I don't know what 2 bidders see but BAD position + BAD shape +BAD spots + BAD suit quality is what i see when i look at this hand.

They are not even red, which would rescue bad overcallers now and then due to being focused on vulnerable game bonus more than punishing us.. 2 minor doubled is money maker and people love to defend 2m doubled. It is so awful to bid 2 imo that even if overcaller can dodge all of these, he will be still damaging his side by telling opponents where the hcps are while they play their contract.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-04, 20:36

humilities, on 2013-July-02, 05:30, said:

Seems like it's between 2D and X. Your agreement here is that double promises 4S. If it is relevant, partner is not overly aggressive with his 1 level overcalls (you think he is a tad conservative).
Given humilities' methods, Pass seems advisable, but if double didn't promise 4 then,
IMO, Double = 10, Pass = 9, 2 = 6. In the sandwich position, action is adventurous, but delay can be dangerous too.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-04, 21:08

nige1, on 2013-July-04, 20:36, said:

In the sandwich position, action is adventurous, but delayed action can be dangerous too.

There is a third choice ---no action. If a 2H raise is passed back to me, I won't let them play peacefully. But, anything else and our side is out of it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 02:15

MrAce, on 2013-July-04, 18:50, said:

I don't know what 2 bidders see but BAD position + BAD shape +BAD spots + BAD suit quality is what i see when i look at this hand.

They are not even red, which would rescue bad overcallers now and then due to being focused on vulnerable game bonus more than punishing us.. 2 minor doubled is money maker and people love to defend 2m doubled. It is so awful to bid 2 imo that even if overcaller can dodge all of these, he will be still damaging his side by telling opponents where the hcps are while they play their contract.

I see that it's matchpoints. What has game bonus got to do with a part-score hand? Anyway, where I play, people don't have methods to double here for penalties.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-05, 10:05

StevenG, on 2013-July-05, 02:15, said:

Anyway, where I play, people don't have methods to double here for penalties.

The people who will overcall 2D here are exactly why we don't use Support or Snappish doubles after a 2-level sandwich overcall.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-05, 13:05

StevenG, on 2013-July-05, 02:15, said:

Anyway, where I play, people don't have methods to double here for penalties.

Are you sure about that?

Where I come from, playing support doubles, I've been able to pass and have partner, who knows we play support, reopen with a double.

Your post is a bit like those who claimed that the advent of the negative double allowed garbage overcalls because responder couldn't wield the axe. It may well be that support doubles slightly reduce the frequency of the penalties, but only incredibly weak players have no penalty methods here.

As for the OP, I hope that he or she tries to internalize the consensus response here. If so, then the question was a good one, in that it may have caused one or more of our members to realize that 'pass' is often a legitimate option even when one has lots of hcp.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-05, 14:03

mikeh, on 2013-July-05, 13:05, said:

Where I come from, playing support doubles, I've been able to pass and have partner, who knows we play support, reopen with a double.

Is partner required to reopen the auction? I did not think so.

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-05, 14:28

aguahombre, on 2013-July-05, 14:03, said:

Is partner required to reopen the auction? I did not think so.

I don't understand your point. Firstly, nobody requires opener to reopen when playing negative doubles, yet one rarely hears the argument these days that the negative double has greatly reduced low level penalties. The same reasoning applies with support doubles: yes, there is a slight loss in frequency, but I was responding to a post in which the poster asserted that where he plays people simply can't collect penalties at all!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 15:30

mikeh, on 2013-July-05, 13:05, said:

Are you sure about that?

Actually, I am. I don't know anybody who plays support doubles (as far as I know).

This is the thing about MPs. The right bid doesn't depend on "pure" bridge judgement. It depends on where you're playing, what bidding systems are in use amongst the field in general, and who your opponents are.

I answered the poll honestly based on my experiences in English club bridge, and (occasionally) better. If my methods fail elsewhere in the world, well, I wouldn't really know that.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-July-05, 17:28

StevenG, on 2013-July-05, 15:30, said:

Actually, I am. I don't know anybody who plays support doubles (as far as I know).

This is the thing about MPs. The right bid doesn't depend on "pure" bridge judgement. It depends on where you're playing, what bidding systems are in use amongst the field in general, and who your opponents are.

I answered the poll honestly based on my experiences in English club bridge, and (occasionally) better. If my methods fail elsewhere in the world, well, I wouldn't really know that.

I wasn't assuming that you played support doubles...I do myself, but I don't assume that everyone else does :P

What I was assuming was that opener's direct double meant something other than penalty....since nobody you play against has the methods to penalize an overcall, and I assume you all have a double card in the bidding box, this seemed a fair inference.

Given that inference, my question was and remains how is it that, it seems, it is not possible, in your games, for opener to pass and hope, with some reasonable expectation, that partner may be able to reopen with a double, much as responder will pass a direct overcall when holding a penalty hand but constrained by negative doubles? Obviously it isn't possible, since you have stated that nobody has the methods needed to penalize the overcall.

#18 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-06, 02:03

Opener's direct double doesn't normally mean penalties. In fact, I don't really know what it does mean, because I rarely see it. (In my own methods it's shape showing. I am aware of one expert who mostly plays these low level doubles as penalty, very successfully, but he's the only person I know of with certainty.) Opener can pass round and pray partner doubles, but you can hardly call that a "method". In practice, people aren't going to risk it being passed out and writing down +90 when they have a partscore of their own.

Clearly we are very unsophisticated. However, I find that at MPs you pick up a huge number of points by bidding partscores accurately, and I prefer to keep my low-level sequences accurate (and, therefore, descriptive). I wouldn't be overcalling on the given hand at IMPs, where disasters are more of a problem, but I'll make a lot of small gains at MPs for the occasional bad board.)

(To sidetrack this discussion, I notice that very few posters here acknowledge the form of scoring when answering these questions. Their answers are nearly always based on IMP scoring. I learnt my bridge playing MPs in quite a decent club, and all my methods and judgements derive from that. Yes, I do tweak my system when playing teams, but teams is MPs tweaked, not vice versa. Whatever, I am quite comfortable with the way my methods hold up against good players when I play in higher-level competitions than I would usually.)

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-06, 02:17

I like overcalling in such a situation because opps usually have a hard time to find their best Major fit. Many play some sort of support doubles, but responder with 4-4M doesn't know what to do. However, this suit is too weak, I don't like the distribution of honors, so I think it's a clear pass.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#20 User is offline   kael chi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 07:41

Partner seems has nothing.
I will choose pass...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users