Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No more undoes

#1 User is offline   audaz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-30, 22:29

Please eliminate the undoes. Require people to confirm their bids and plays.
This is what I do. But instead of it being an option, make it compulsory.
Undoes open up all kinds of abuses. People give unauthorized info to their
partner. They eject you from the game if you reject even when there have been
3 bids after theirs!!! They feel entitled to change their bids even when they
never could at the table. With confirmation there is absolutely no need for
undoes.

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-01, 00:23

View Postaudaz, on 2013-June-30, 22:29, said:

This is what I do. Make it compulsory.
I've taken the liberty of summarizing your post.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-01, 08:28

Compulsory confirmations would drive me crazy. I think I make bids or plays that I would need to undo about once every 3. I enable them for bidding in the mobile app, because on my Kindle Fire the buttons are too close together for my fat fingers, so I decided to put up with the annoyance on the rare occasions when I play with my tablet.

If you don't like undoes, host your own table so you can set the rules.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-01, 10:27

Like audaz, I don't like undo-requests (except at bidding/teaching tables) because they cause unnecessary ill-feeling, especially when rejected.

#5 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-01, 12:24

Undo requests don't bug me that much, but I mostly play with people I know and we don't mind reversing an occasional misclick. If I play with someone who abuses the privilege, or who denies them indiscriminately, then I just make a note not to play with them again. It's not that big a deal.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-01, 12:33

I think GreenMan has hit on it. I don't play much in the MBC, but on the rare occasions when I do it's just an informal, friendly game. If someone asks for an undo, it's almost always granted, even if it probably wasn't a true misclick, to keep things cordial. We often take liberties in these games -- if there's a pick-up partnership, they can sometimes decide on agreements on the fly (e.g. the first time someone bids Blackwood, they can decide whether it's 3014 or 1430). But the players also know not to abuse this so much that it feels unfair to the opponents.

Unfortunately, the same style doesn't apply when a bunch of randoms are playing together. If it's a table where someone is likely to call his partner an "idjit" because they make a silly mistake, they're also likely to be suspicious of all undo requests.

Making one set of rules that fits both types of tables is not really possible, which is why we have options. So I return to my previous suggestion: if you care, host your own table and set the options as you wish.

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-01, 14:18

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-01, 12:33, said:

We often take liberties in these games -- if there's a pick-up partnership, they can sometimes decide on agreements on the fly (e.g. the first time someone bids Blackwood, they can decide whether it's 3014 or 1430). But the players also know not to abuse this so much that it feels unfair to the opponents.

Indeed, and I've noticed that the better the players, the more willing they are to allow discussions and undos. (Undoes. Undo's. Whatever.) I think it's connected to how emotionally invested in the results you are; the better and more pleasant players would rather have a good game than a good score. (This is another reason I'm glad BBO doesn't have ratings -- each hand disappears into the ether as soon as it's done.)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-02, 05:00

I put out a long time ago that you should have the option to set a confirmation for your bid- say 3 seconds you can cancel if you made a mistake due to poor input device or just it go through.
In some silly it'll slow everything hand waving, it was rejected it. Then Undoes are unnecessary.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-02, 06:32

Is there a table option to disallow undos? That would be ideal for those who don't like them.

I do give them for apparent/claimed misclicks. And I do reject them when misclick is not credible. Sorry, you don't get to change your mind after the fact, not at my table anyway.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-02, 10:04

View Postbillw55, on 2013-July-02, 06:32, said:

Is there a table option to disallow undos? That would be ideal for those who don't like them.

Yes. I've mentioned this option twice in this thread.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-02, 10:07

View Postcloa513, on 2013-July-02, 05:00, said:

I put out a long time ago that you should have the option to set a confirmation for your bid- say 3 seconds you can cancel if you made a mistake due to poor input device or just it go through.
In some silly it'll slow everything hand waving, it was rejected it. Then Undoes are unnecessary.

There is an option: Options -> More Options -> Confirm Bids / Confirm Plays

But it sounds like you're talking about something else. Instead of requiring you to make an extra click, it should hold off showing your bid to everyone else for 3 seconds, to give you a chance to undo it. I think players would find this constant delay very annoying.

#12 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-03, 03:22

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-02, 10:07, said:

There is an option: Options -> More Options -> Confirm Bids / Confirm Plays

But it sounds like you're talking about something else. Instead of requiring you to make an extra click, it should hold off showing your bid to everyone else for 3 seconds, to give you a chance to undo it. I think players would find this constant delay very annoying.

Why they can turn it off- it like the other player delaying their bid anyway.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users